Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couple of 21 Paramount questions

Hey Guys, I"ve been reading a lot of your posts for a while on here and I'm looking to downsize from my offshore boat to a 21 Paramount.

I just looked at one and had two concerns I hope you'll comment on.

1. The fuel fill line is dry rotted and has clearly leaked some gas. So there's gas smell and it would be hard to tell if the tank might have any of it's own issues. The hull is a 94'. How likely is it I'll have issues with an aluminum tank of that age?

2. There are stress cracks about 24-28 inches long running along where the first (moving outboard to inboard) planing strake's vertical surface meets the hull. These are on both sides. They start about 6-10 inches forward of the transom and go forward. Are these common? Are they huge cause for concern?

Otherwise the boat's interior basically shows her age. I'd be buying it for the price of the engine (which is in fantastic shape and less than 50 hours).

Thanks

Grosse Ile Mi. an island in the Detroit River
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snook,
    My Paramount is a 91 and so far no problems with the tank, although it has been in fresh water since 2000. The foam around the tank has most likely soaked up some of the gas.

As far as stress cracks I'll check mine next time I'm at the boat. These hulls are pretty well made so I doubt it will be a problem.

How much are they asking? I'm trying to get an idea what mine is worth these days.
    Brent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snook I just bought a 93 everything so far looks good, I too worried about the tank but if you have to change it out there is a hatch you can remove to access the tanks you would have to move the console though. Good luck
    BLAZER BAY 2400 SUZUKI 250 4 STROKE

18FT ASTRO BASS BOAT 200 MERC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bmalcho, skatermike24, thanks for the replies. Good info on the tanks. The boat is going for 15k, as is, on a throw-away trailer. 16k with some cosmetics addressed and a better trailer (maybe). But, the engine is an 06 Merc 250xs with 47 hours (will have it scanned by my mechanic next week). From the one's I've looked at they range between 12k and 14.5k, usually with a 200 or 225 that has 300+ hours. I bought my current boat with twin Optis around the 240hour mark and put 300hours on them in the last two years. I have had no problems--but I do have a very good Merc mechanic and I take them in every 50 hours and address ANYTHING that is bothering me down to missing little rubber plugs. Even the older Paramounts (pre-90) with wood decks are always 8-10k. I want to say the guys with the molds currently are selling a new one for about 30k.
    Have either of you weighed your boats? I know they can't weigh much...2500#, wet? or am I way off?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, what kind of engines do you guys have and what kind of numbers are you getting? I think the standard is usually a 225 Opti and propped right, that will get you in the low 60s. The guy claimed it had a 3 blade chopper and a jack plate when he got it and it was scary fast. Now it's got a 4 blade and no jack plate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They seem to hold there value, I consider myself lucky I bought my boat for 12,000, it has a Yammy ox66 250 on it with a jack plate I'm probably going to take off and just run a manual one, 16 seems kinda high, it better be show room for that price. My motor has around 400 hours on it but looks new, boat was alway garaged and covered when not in the water. Good luck keep us posted, if you ever want to shoot the breeze give me a call 321-229-3433
    BLAZER BAY 2400 SUZUKI 250 4 STROKE

18FT ASTRO BASS BOAT 200 MERC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snook, my friend and I looked at that boat as well. There is fuel leaking from that boat for sure.... I would guess it is from the tank. With that opti, a crapped out fuel line would likely affect the way the motor ran. I looked in the bilge and there was melted foam pieces floating all around.

The guy (kid) selling the boat claimed the smell was from 2 stroke oil that spilled in the front hatch...... bullschit!

Things we noticed about the boat.....

-how does a 2006 motor have less than 50hrs. There are some very shady answers as to how much he ran the boat or where he got it from.

-when asked what sized prop was on the boat, he had no clue, but yet he claimed the boat did over 70.

-The boat had no title and he claimed he applied for a new one but hadn't recieved it yet. The hull id #'s were also buzzed off, which he said the painters accidentally did while repainting the boat.

-the boat had a nasty crack on the port side of the inner linner.... don't know how or why he got that crack.

-the bottom looked fine. couple of small cracks on the strakes, but nothing too concerning.

-none of the smartcraft gauges worked

-the speakers sounded like they were blown

-like you said, the trailer was a beater, and would likely cost you money to dispose of.

-it will probably need new wiring in the aft as well.... the day we met him for a test run, he left the plug out and flooded the entire rear area bilge area where the batteries are located.

Other than that, it's an OK boat. The engine (which was probably on the back of a 36' yellowfin a few years ago over in sararsota and sat in a warehouse for the past five) looks and runs decent. The grinded hull #s and missing title are concerning, but with the proper due diligence I'm sure you could get it straightened out. Anything under 10k would make sense for that rig. Good Luck!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way a 21 Paramount is gonna run 70 is if you drop it over Niagra falls. I don't care what motor you put on it, the bottom has a hook and it will not carry the bow. The hook is what makes it such a great riding boat for a narrow 21 footer. The build quality on Paramounts is usually pretty top-notch. Darryl and Kevin put a lot of effort into building quality fishing/diving boats for a reasonable price. However, the one mentioned above seems to have too many red flags. Tearing open a floor and replacing a fuel tank and foam can be very expensive/time-consuming. Buyer beware.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hewes, thanks for smacking me in the head! I saw most of these things too....but I was mesmerized by the shiny 250xs. He said he wouldn't take less than 14 for it. Even then, it's not really a deal when you consider all of the known problems---and scarier--the unknown issue with the fuel leak. He told me that it was oil too (and mentioned your discussion about that issue) I got my buddy to convince him that it was fuel and he then agreed it was. We thought it was the dry-rotted fill line, but he said the next day that he had put some gas in it and that didn't seem to be where it was coming from.

He said the boat did over 70 with a 3-blade chopper and a hydrolic jack plate---clearly not the way it is set up now---or possibly just a total lie.

After I went to see it, I called him and said I couldn't even sea trial until he had the title in hand. He claims he does have it now.

He did have the FWC HIN and engine ID decals, so I was less concerned about the missing HIN plate......but if they took it off when they painted the sides, top cap, and console---why was that area not painted over?

The inner liner was also starting to crack forward of that where the next part of the under gunnel rod holders is.

You're right, the price isn't. There's the one in Loxahatchee that's yellow and one in Miami that has a crazy paint job (not my preference), both of those are likely better deals if they have decent interiors, usable trailers, and engines run fine even with 300+ hours. Your price point is well taken, add $1500 for a used aluminum trailer, and maybe $1000-2000 in the noted fiberglass repairs----but then you still have the fuel issue.

I'm just bummed b/c I've got my 28' Whitewater so nice and cleaned/waxed that I don't even want to use it while it's on the market for sale. I'll have to get up with one of the Paramount owners on here between Ft. Lauderdale and PSL and throw down some gas money for a ride and some pointers on the boat---I think I'm pretty set on getting one, just not this one!

If anyone wants to show off their Paramount to me, I'll gladly pay your weekend fuel bill and.....other necessities.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and a freind of mine have one we were building to run Twins. It has new stringers bulkheads, fuel tank, We widend the factory splashwell, new transom flipped the boat and took out the hook. The inside needs gelkote. 545 primer and and AwlGRIP on the hull. Cap needs paint and primer. With a nice dual axle trailor. If your interested. We just lost interest to many projects..
    1. MERCURY RACING
    2. ACTION MARINE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keomotorsports View Post
    Me and a freind of mine have one we were building to run Twins. It has new stringers bulkheads, fuel tank, We widend the factory splashwell, new transom flipped the boat and took out the hook. The inside needs gelkote. 545 primer and and AwlGRIP on the hull. Cap needs paint and primer. With a nice dual axle trailor. If your interested. We just lost interest to many projects..
    And no interliner.
    1. MERCURY RACING
    2. ACTION MARINE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you seen my 22' Avance .....not a paramount but somehwat same style and it DOES run 73.5mph on gps spinning a 27 3blad yamaha pro at 5600rpm....http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...250-vmax-clean!!!!!
    im asking 15,500 and ita a 2006 with a 2006 yamaha 250 vmax hpdi not the old ox66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snook295 View Post

After I went to see it, I called him and said I couldn't even sea trial until he had the title in hand. He claims he does have it now.

We ran the boat with the kid and I'm not sure he really knew how to drive the boat. Never opened it up or trimmed it out. No GPS or speedo, so if you go back bring your own GPS.

I don't think I would want to open that boat up with the current owner behind the wheel.

The way I saw the deal working out.....

$9,500 for the boat
    $800 for a new fuel tank
    $1,700 for a new trailer
    $1,500 in glass work
    $1,800 in electrical
    $500 in misc

Total- $15,800

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be going back. It just needs too much work and unknown issues.

There's a couple around that are in much better condition. I'm also considering Ivan's Avance....but I think I'd like to sacrifice some top end for a better ride in chop. I won't be limiting my activities to the lakes.

What are the expected numbers for a Paramount with a stock 200? Still in the mid-upper 50's?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad Ramps got one here in Venice that runs 70mph with a 250xs. It's a real nice setup and perfect sanbar cruiser. It's not for sale but he would be a good person to talk to for advise on one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast