Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    When the Victory team in Abu Dhabi ceased the offshore V8 program—— my son Mark bought the whole nine yards—— complete motors—— spare powerheads——all the electrics —- gearcases—- props etc.
    Most of it went to Japan!
    You know what pilgrim—— for a few dollars more I have heard tell you can get over 700 hp from the R 450 Mercury !? It’s all in the programming????
    See the preferred motor for next years F1 series is likely to be the 450R Mercury !!!
    F1 was great racing with a 2.0 ltr where its going,a sterndrive might be lighter and certainly cheaper
    Last edited by powerabout; 11-29-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it’s the availability of a suitable motor that dictates the final formula that will decide the future of F1 ?
    There is simply no way you can run a 17’ tunnel with a 450 R V8 motor——- the stats simply do not add up.
    Sheer size and weight of a monster V8 and the horsepower available is a tad frightening.
    Seebold and I got into discussing where F1 was heading, interesting to note that nobody seems to be100% sure of what’s happening in 2020 ?
    Tim was in New Orleans at the NGK annual awards and was hoping for some clarity on next season’s race calendar, but I had to leave before the results were known.
    Billy told me the story of how Garbrecht—- Bentz and Seebold hatched the plan to take on the OMC twin engined “Loopers” at the world championships.
    Interesting that the 3*5 T4 was pushing out enough horsepower to propel the craft to 146mph—— and the twin rig was still quicker!
    To be continued;

3. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big bore t4

I suppose it’s the availability of a suitable motor that dictates the final formula that will decide the future of F1 ?
    There is simply no way you can run a 17’ tunnel with a 450 R V8 motor——- the stats simply do not add up.
    Sheer size and weight of a monster V8 and the horsepower available is a tad frightening.
    Seebold and I got into discussing where F1 was heading, interesting to note that nobody seems to be100% sure of what’s happening in 2020 ?
    Tim was in New Orleans at the NGK annual awards and was hoping for some clarity on next season’s race calendar, but I had to leave before the results were known.
    Billy told me the story of how Garbrecht—- Bentz and Seebold hatched the plan to take on the OMC twin engined “Loopers” at the world championships.
    Interesting that the 3*5 T4 was pushing out enough horsepower to propel the craft to 146mph—— and the twin rig was still quicker!
    To be continued;
    The last time I met Fred Hauenstine he told me the most power they had from the big bore T4 was 460hp.SP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know as well as ido Steve, there was so much Fantasia about the speeds achieved —— or supposedly achieved during power boat races!
    Classic example was the “100 mph Lap at Bristol”.
    Charlie needed to whip the 250,000 crowd into a frenzy, so he had individuals doing a single flying lap — one boat at a time!
    Average speed in those far off days was a tad under 90 mph—— even with the new motors and pickle front boats by Molinari—- Seebold—Burgess— Hodges and Velden!
    A ten per cent increase in speed that was needed to claim the (£500) prize was a far cry from the lap record !
    What to do—— UIM measured course—- all the worlds top drivers there—— best boats— best engines— J,Jones actually was awarded the prize for the first ( and only ) 100 mph lap—— hands up if you know how it was done ??

6. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t he start his lap somewhere close to the pits so by the time he crossed the start line he was already making “good progress”?

8. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be continued;
    racing can continue like many with old stuff and the consumables are still made.
    sst45/60 OMC havent sold a new one for 30 years yet engines are no problem.
    Seaway makes the custom race parts in batch runs and the powerhead a modded stocker so millions of them out there.

Yamaha still makes a 650 2 stroke stand up jet ski for racing...

Honda did a run of cx500 bikes for a delivery service in London 20 years after production stopped

Morgan still sell cars

Looks like if Merc can interfere with a class they will?

I think the problem is American management....

Time for a FONDA comeback.
    Last edited by powerabout; 11-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    racing can continue like many with old stuff and the consumables are still made.
    sst45/60 OMC havent sold a new one for 30 years yet engines are no problem.
    Seaway makes the custom race parts in batch runs and the powerhead a modded stocker so millions of them out there.

Yamaha still makes a 650 2 stroke stand up jet ski for racing...

Honda did a run of cx500 bikes for a delivery service in London 20 years after production stopped

Morgan still sell cars

Looks like if Merc can interfere with a class they will?

I think the problem is American management....

Time for a FONDA comeback.
    Formula 1 in both the USA and Europe have been wobbling along for a few years now Pilgrim—- using motors long since out of production.
    Duckworth had the right idea—— give ‘em twenty gallons of fuel—— fifty laps of two miles—- you have to finish to qualify —— first to do that wins !!!
    Hydros got it right—- cubic capacity for each class, its worked for years!
    Formula is good until you get to the top end—— OZ—- then you run out of formula, because it’s unlimited ! Uncontrollable and runaway!
    Outboard racing has always been about racing whatever motors were available ?

Morgan is a law unto themselves—- bit like Harley Davidson—- neither of them qualify for “best in class”—- yet still manage to sell vast quantities of product .
    They both have a following —— in spite of, sooner than because of
    Caterham and Lotus just don’t have the Charisma of the Morgan.
    Same thing with the Jap bikes—- they don’t have the pedigree ?

FONDA always had a “Special relationship” with Mercury—- lots of help, product—money? Personnel—
    both Americans and Europeans—— but they never interfered in the running of the series unless asked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ABE8326-A7A3-4F6C-A1BC-24294DD2EA8F.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	453738

Just to show there’s no bias at all on this thread—- everything and everyone treated the same— as long as it’s black !!!!!

Wonder if I’m even allowed to think that any more- let alone say it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know as well as ido Steve, there was so much Fantasia about the speeds achieved —— or supposedly achieved during power boat races!
    Classic example was the “100 mph Lap at Bristol”.
    Charlie needed to whip the 250,000 crowd into a frenzy, so he had individuals doing a single flying lap — one boat at a time!
    Average speed in those far off days was a tad under 90 mph—— even with the new motors and pickle front boats by Molinari—- Seebold—Burgess— Hodges and Velden!
    A ten per cent increase in speed that was needed to claim the (£500) prize was a far cry from the lap record !
    What to do—— UIM measured course—- all the worlds top drivers there—— best boats— best engines— J,Jones actually was awarded the prize for the first ( and only ) 100 mph lap—— hands up if you know how it was done ??
    In 1979 Earl Bentz set the Bristol lap record it was the friday afternoon practise before the race ran on saturday.He was driving in the OZ CLASS with a 2.4 Mercury.Now my memory of the prize money pffered was for the first ON outfit to beat that lap record. I took my son to watch the Bristol race many times i would always look forward to watching Seebold kick everyones butt and remember the boats going out before the race to try and beat that record it was at least 1989 before that happened.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Land vehicles European boat racers found to their liking, in the early 1970's/

A Red Ferrari of course somebody had to have had one. I do not remember the Italian’s name, but I believe his dad had a Coke or Pepsi bottling company in southern Italy. Infrequently he would drive up to the Como shop, regarding his race boat or what was the latest new thing coming down the pipeline. He probably was Renato’s age or younger.

Renato was a Porsche guy. He asked if I wanted a ride back to Como after he won in Auronzo. I will not forget how effortlessly that Porsche slowed down, when a vehicle pulled into the left/fast lane on the autostrada, in front of Renato. And then there was Renato Molinari squealing his tires.

North of Cernobbio heading to the Como shop, on the lakeside mountain road is a sweeping 270 degree corner. Between cars and 120 foot ravine drop, is a makeshift rusty 3” pipe running horizontal. That didn’t faze Renato; he showed me what he could do on the street squealing his tires. But if Renato was trying to get me nervous it did not work. Because I have seen the confidence and mastery he exhibited racing on the water. Therefore I was confident in his road skills too, and I even looked down into the ravine at that time.

I was with Cees vander Velden, also in the mountains. I was riding shotgun (passenger seat for non-Americans). Cees started complaining about his BMW’s brakes getting to hot. We were in Switzerland heading northbound towards Germany or Holland, but I do not remember why or exactly going where.

to be continued:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1970's choice of the Mercury Team Drivers land vehicles is ...

Tom Percival had his Jaguar, and albeit British proud, to use that vehicle to tow his race boat. But his friend, co-pilot and fellow Brit, Bob Spalding had acquired a Ford Mustang Mach I. And if my memory is correct Bob’s Mach I was red.

Carlo Rassini had a Citroen DS. My fellow Americans might not be familiar with this model, but aside from the unusual exterior design, it was one of the most comfortable cars that I ever rode in (especially in the 1970’s). Turn the engine on, and the Citroen would rise up on its hydro-pneumatic suspension, and then you felt like riding on a calm lake.

But 1973 arrived and the banker, Mr. Rassini got himself a Citroen Maserati. Mr. Rassini’s chauffeur Gigi never did give me a ride in this Citroen, but this CM car is the car that, I admired most. It had engine power and interior comforts, and the headlights tracked in tandem with steering the front wheels. I do not remember if that Citroen Maserati ever did get a trailer hitch attached to it.

Carl Kiekhaefer (Mr. K) gave me and my brother a ride in his two door convertible Mercedes, and that was a nice ride. I have driven Corvettes, Telsa and Mustangs, but the Citroen Maserati still fascinates me the most.

Name:	Citroen DS & Maserati.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	453805

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Tom Percival had his Jaguar, and albeit British proud, to use that vehicle to tow his race boat. But his friend, co-pilot and fellow Brit, Bob Spalding had acquired a Ford Mustang Mach I. And if my memory is correct Bob’s Mach I was red.

Carlo Rassini had a Citroen DS. My fellow Americans might not be familiar with this model, but aside from the unusual exterior design, it was one of the most comfortable cars that I ever rode in (especially in the 1970’s). Turn the engine on, and the Citroen would rise up on its hydro-pneumatic suspension, and then you felt like riding on a calm lake.

But 1973 arrived and the banker, Mr. Rassini got himself a Citroen Maserati. Mr. Rassini’s chauffeur Gigi never did give me a ride in this Citroen, but this CM car is the car that, I admired most. It had engine power and interior comforts, and the headlights tracked in tandem with steering the front wheels. I do not remember if that Citroen Maserati ever did get a trailer hitch attached to it.

Carl Kiekhaefer (Mr. K) gave me and my brother a ride in his two door convertible Mercedes, and that was a nice ride. I have driven Corvettes, Telsa and Mustangs, but the Citroen Maserati still fascinates me the most.

Name:	Citroen DS & Maserati.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	453805
    Hells teeth Mr, Ridgell damned if you didn’t open up a long forgotten memory door there—— surprised to find I actually remember every single one of those cars except those of MR. K.
    You forgot the RS90 NSU rotary that ROY picked up from the factory in Germany for Carl !
    Renato was a Lancia man long before he could afford Porky —— it was an ex rally car with a Martini stripe if memory serves me correct ! Even as a teenager he could drive quite well, but he did like go faster noisy pipes!
    Mario —— Carlo’s eldest boy came to stay with us for a month ——- but not before Gigi had vetted the house—— neighbourhood—- and family. He was an Italian banker and worried about kidnapping.
    ( I only found this out years later).
    He acquired the Citroen Maserati after the DS19 and kept it for many years.
    His brother Henri who did the co driving with him was a much quieter man and very conservative in his cars.
    Gigi was everything to Carlo— Bodyguard— chauffeur—- confidant— friend —-protector of his children?
    also very good friend LEIVIO —— hard man if you ever met him head on!
    I don’t think the Maserati ever had a hitch on it——- if it did , then I’ve forgotten!
    I used a Maroon Jaguar XJ6 straight six to tow my boats for a couple of years—— great tow car—- fast — comfortable —- but thirsty.
    Bob bought the red Mustang when he was over in the USA as part of the Mercury Race Team, brought it back to England.
    Tom used the Jaguar XJ12 for number of years to pull his boats!
    As I said—- the little grey cells are still working !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Wyrabeck ( Becky) was the first permanent member of Mercury to be sent to Torriggia—— long before Roy and his family moved down there.
    He went to the Lotus factory and bought a brand fire new Lotus .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that—- damned thread did a whoopsie on me and posted itself !

As I was trying to tell you Becky bought a Lotus Europa—— neat little two seater with a chopped back—- knock on wheels —— predominant colour in those days was Black—— Andretti was running The John Player F1 car and Colin Chapman was painting most of his production cars black.
    Think Beckie’s was red and white.
    Roz Knott bought one, but much later!
    Denny Burton ran a XJS for years——
    Johnny Hulme used an E Type Jaguar to haul his car.
    Bill SHAKESPEARE used a white Aston Martin that Lol Hopkins tucked him up with.
    Don Ross and Bob May used Ford Transit Camper vans!
    I used a Mini Van to haul a wife— five kids and a 17’ Torriggia —- and still managed to get nicked for speeding.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t look like we stirred up a heap of memories does it ROY—— I do remember Garbrecht racing round the fairground in Casale Monferrato in a rental Mercedes—- your dad in the NSU ——/Willabee in a “normal” rental, lots of carnage—— guess the insurance covered it all!

Page 731 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 231 631 681 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 781 831 1231 ... LastLast