Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pair of 1985 Mercury Black Max 200 Bridgeport 2.4 outboards for sale

I have a counter-rotating pair of 1985 Black Max 200's (serial #A124995 and #6625321) for sale.

They have been been stored inside, but haven't been started since I first got the boat in 2012. The long-term restoration project on my '85 Sanger Alley Cat is finally on the home stretch and I decided to remove the twins and go with a single new motor.

Now these treasures are mythical "barn finds," waiting to be discovered by a die-hard Bridgeport fan, maybe you!!

I intended to keep the Black Max's, so I stored them in the garage, even painted the cowls with Awlgrip's Awlcraft 2000 "Toreador Red" to match the boat. I have only started them once: when I first got the boat. Compression check was an even 130 on every cylinder. After working with a shop to start and check them, I conducted a full inspection of the hull.

Dang!! The transom of the boat needed to be re-built. The restoration project, now much bigger than expected, went into dry storage for years. I never even got to put the motors in the water.

That's why all I have to tell you about the motors comes from the previous owner. I saw lots of pictures of them running, easily pushing the Sanger to ~90+ mph. I eagerly listened to the exciting war stories, verified with photos, wide eyes and wild gestures, but I have no personal history with them.

The carbs were supposed to have been just rebuilt at the time. They looked good. Everything worked when I started them and they growled like Black Maxes. I trust the friend who ran them before, but I realize that's all just a story now ...

Although they're both 1985's, they're not an exactly matched pair (see serial #'s in the attachments.) Previous owner says the trim motors ran at different rates, but other than that the motors ran evenly and were easy to control with a twin N-control foot throttle.

What comes with the motors? (The Good)
    The pair came off fully running, no problems noted, with fresh power heads and good lower units. Once they're rigged, I expect them to run like the scalded dogs they were when I got them.
    Props: a matched pair of counter-rotating Quicksilvers (48 77320 A5 24P)
    Bob's Machine lower units with low water pickups
    Many of the classic performance mods of 10+ years ago were done, hi-volume fuel pumps, etc. They were reported to be making around 245 HP each.
    A twin aluminum bracket. It wasn't new by any means, but it's been radius-ed, blasted, powder coated, and has all new SS hardware. Might be useful for you.
    N-Control foot throttle and a few related goodies
    There is a giant bucket full of sketchy-looking rigging that came off the boat that I intended to replace. Buyer can take whatever looks restorable or I'll throw it all away.

What needs fixing? (The Bad)
    I would replace the trim tubes and trim units. There is no steering included.
    Of course, water pump impellers, fuel lines, etc should be replaced before attempting a start.
    If it's made of rubber, it probably needs a new one.

(The Ugly)
    These old Black Maxes mostly just need some detailing and TLC. Other than the trim tubes, I think all of the major pieces are serviceable.
    Before I got them, they looked like they had spent some time outside.
    They won't be available until mid-May (due to my availability.)

I have lots of photos of my restoration, but hardly any of the motors. I won't be able to provide new pics until May.

This sale is pick-up only. Location is central Florida (Lake County, near Mt Dora & Leesburg.) I'm not going to ship. Please don't ask. Show up with a truck or trailer with whatever rack, pallet, etc and I will forklift them onto your ride. I do have an assortment of Home Depot wooden pallets, but you'll need your own straps and be responsible for load security.

If you're not too far from me, I can deliver.

The price: I have seen a range of hearsay values out there, but I'm going to let the S&F forum market decide the price. Don't be disappointed because there isn't a price here yet, because you may be the one to set the price - fun! Make an offer.

I know that the price could be higher if you could see them running, but that's not possible. If you know these motors, you know what they're worth. I expect the thread may develop into an informal auction, or you can PM me with an offer.

Who wants a pair of 2.4 Bridgeport Black Max 200 wind-up toys for their hot-rod boat?!

ChopperJeff
    1985 20' Sanger Alley Cat, 2019 Merc 300R (coming soon!)

Other answers to questions you should not bother to ask:
    No, the boat is not for sale.
    No, I will not separate or part out the motors.
    No, I will not pre-pay the shipping to the palace of the Nigerian prince who is willing to pay ten times the market value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twins hanging on rack.JPG   Left motor.JPG   6625321 SN plate.JPG   A124995 SN plate.JPG   Bob's lower unit.JPG  

Quicksilver prop ID numbers.JPG   Twin Outboard Bracket.jpg   Sanger Alley cat with uncovered motors on front drive.jpeg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Some pictures of the powerheads would be good.
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More pics in May

Quote Originally Posted by 99fxst99 View Post
    Interesting. Some pictures of the powerheads would be good.
    Yes, there will be more pictures. Unfortunately, I will not see these motors again until May. If you are interested, please stay in touch and we'll get you some good pics with the cowls off.

They're not detailed for the boat show, but if you're in the market for a pair of ready-to-run powerheads you won't be disappointed. The only thing that's really ugly anywhere on these units are the trim tubes, but they won't keep you from running.

Cheers!
    ChopperJeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think they made a b/p in 1985 ?
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pm Sent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racervboat View Post
    Don't think they made a b/p in 1985 ?
    Don't muck this up with pesky details...I thought it was a lovely ad.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

7. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a pic he posted without cowl. 1st I see is clam shell cowl and then black power heads with standard 200 fishin mota airboxes and such. Unless it's been painted they look like mid 80s 200 2.4 fishin motas , hard to tell but looks like sitting on 2 piece plate also which I think all BP came with 1 piece , I'm not bashing the post or saying your Info is Incorrect , but from the looks of the power heads this is just what i see. Glws
    May I add also. Never was a "200"bp. They came with 1 piece light weight cowl with either Bridgeport or efi Bridgeport on them , sorry just caught my eye in description says bp200 and in add says 245hp which is correct hp for efi BP. Would be really really helpful to have the block serial #s and not the serial on the mid tags
    Some "newbies" may not know the difference in motas but theres a big price gap between the 2 motas( BP and blackmax)
    Last edited by Merc 2.5; 03-27-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops sorry I did not read the whole post,damn those trim tubes are a bitch.
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    There is a pic he posted without cowl. 1st I see is clam shell cowl and then black power heads with standard 200 fishin mota airboxes and such. Unless it's been painted they look like mid 80s 200 2.4 fishin motas , hard to tell but looks like sitting on 2 piece plate also which I think all BP came with 1 piece , I'm not bashing the post or saying your Info is Incorrect , but from the looks of the power heads this is just what i see. Glws
    May I add also. Never was a "200"bp. They came with 1 piece light weight cowl with either Bridgeport or efi Bridgeport on them , sorry just caught my eye in description says bp200 and in add says 245hp which is correct hp for efi BP. Would be really really helpful to have the block serial #s and not the serial on the mid tags
    Some "newbies" may not know the difference in motas but theres a big price gap between the 2 motas( BP and blackmax)
    Agree

11. Likes Tango liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you sell the motors?
    all about the go fast with no tickets

19 ft nordic pickle fork

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys this post is 3 years old.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Three years, and they still aren't sold! Maybe the price is too high.