User Tag List

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid, 2 piece adapter plate, powerhead, and SeaStar tournament series steering ram are installed. Solid motor mounts were installed at this time as well. I'm waiting for some 45* fittings from SeaStar for the hoses to connect to the ram, the 90* just isn't going to work for how I have the hoses ran. I stuck the lower in with a single bolt just to get an idea of how everything sits. Turns out my math was a bit off and I'm sitting about an inch lower than what I planned on. But I still have 2 holes on the clamp bracket I can move up if needed.

The picture shown with it trimmed is about as high as it will go with the plate down before crushing the steering ram against the transom. It's a bit beyond the second stage of trim before it gets there, I'll just have to be mindful of that. Or I could try and get really fancy with some limit switches, but that seems like more work than I want to do.

It's getting pretty exciting now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7461.jpg   IMG_7456.jpg   IMG_7458.jpg   IMG_7460.jpg   IMG_7464.jpg  

IMG_7465.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all focus has been on the engine since the last post. Can't really do anything on the hull until I get more parts back.

To be safe I replaced the reed valves with a new set from Cris Carson. The originals looked fine but they were changed anyway. While I had them out I lapped the reed cages with some wet 400 on a sheet of glass. They were also in decent shape.

Carbs were rebuilt will all new seals. The gaskets in them were very dry and brittle so I'm sure it would've leaked. I was nervous about screwing up carb settings and chasing drivability issues, so I was happy to find these carbs use fixed jets and I couldn't screw something up. The center and bottom carb were absolutely spotless, there was just a very small amount of goo in the top carb that I'm convinced would've cleaned right out with fresh gas running through it.

Fuel pump was rebuilt and new fuel lines ran to each carb. New bleed lines were ran. I discovered the wires to the stator are corroded beyond repair so the flywheel is off and the stator and trigger will be replaced.

I built an adapter to be able to mount rigging hoses with the clamshell cowls. Which was just a matter of welding some tubing to the lower mount.

For anyone wondering the clamshells clear the big tiller arm and SeaStar steering fine with no modifications necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 63510380800__514BAEA6-7EA9-4993-B54D-35490E1B787D.jpg   IMG_7505.jpg   IMG_7512.jpg   IMG_7477.jpg   IMG_7480.jpg  

63496650822__7E491AF5-065A-48AC-845C-C89A8E35DCD1.jpg   IMG_7484.jpg   IMG_7482.jpg   IMG_7481.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiring on the engine is 95% completed. The blue wires in the picture will go to a temp sending unit that still needs to be drilled into water jacket in the head. Everything else is hooked up. New stator and trigger are in and I had to replace the flywheel with another used one as the original had a broken screw on one of the magnets.

I really hate to cut into the original cowl but a cowl mounted trim switch is so nice to have. I added one and have a simple plug in line so its easy to unhook and remove that cowl.

Trim and jack plate relays are all wired up in the boat and wired to each unit through the rigging hose. I was able to drill a hole in the adapter plate near the shifter and run the wires through that since I'm running clamshells and not a bottom pan. I do have a plug mounted here to make removing the engine less work. Then I realized I will still need to get the jack plate wires out if I pull the engine. So I'll have to pull two pins out of the plug. Its the thought that counts haha.

Stainless steel sheet metal was laser cut to mount the paddle switches for trim/jack operations.

I'm very near the end and mostly waiting on others to get me parts to finish; upholstery, switch plate, hydraulic fittings, etc. Spring fever is really getting me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7539 2.jpg   IMG_7541.jpg   IMG_7555.jpg   IMG_7571.jpg   IMG_7572.jpg  

IMG_7544.jpg   IMG_7576.jpg   IMG_7570.jpg   IMG_7573.jpg   IMG_7574.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much new since the last post. But I did finally get the new fittings for the steering lines. So the hoses are on for good. Still need to fill and bleed the system.

Also cleaned up the harness from the control box and wired in the trim controls from the throttle handle. I set the "trailer" button on the control box to up trim. I will eventually set up a safety in the up trim circuit that will stop in when it reaches the second stage. Much beyond that will crash the steering ram into the transom unless the jack plate is up. This way I can still up trim if needed for maintenance etc.

I brought it into work to get more done on a weekend. So I stopped and grabbed some pictures outside.

P.S. I made a deal on a 98 225 ProMax that I'm picking up this weekend. I plan to run the current 175 for this season and switch them out next winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7589.jpg   IMG_7587.jpg   IMG_7588.jpg   IMG_7603.jpg   IMG_7599.jpg  

IMG_7593.jpg   IMG_7598.jpg  

5. Likes Gw1nels175, Hippie459MN liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the motor! Whats the plan with the windshield?
    Hydrostream dreamin

7. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Congrats on the motor! Whats the plan with the windshield?
    Thanks! The windshield is sitting in my basement patiently waiting to go on. It will be one of the last things installed. I want to wait until I get the interior in before putting the windshield on just to avoid any possible damage lifting large items in and out. I do still need to remake the lower trim, but that will only be a few hour project.

The frame needs just a bit of straightening probably from me using it as a grab handle as a child. But the plastic looks brand new after my dad buffed it out.

9. Likes LakeFever, Gw1nels175 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting on parts to continue work on the boat.

But, this came home with me over the weekend. At this point I'm going to wait to rig it until I can handle the boat well at speed. So I'll swap them out over next winter, or maybe later this season. I'm going to need to do some research on how to set this up to work with the original control box.

All original one owner 1998 225ProMax. Oil injection removed in '99 and nose cone installed by Tooter? Nothing else ever done to it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7609.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	425.2 KB 
ID:	484488

11. Likes LakeFever, sonicss33 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Slap that puppy on it!

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

13. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Slap that puppy on it!
    I've got too much into the 2.0 to not give it a fair shake. Plus I need to hear it run for the childhood nostalgia. I'm sure the ProMax will end up on it by July haha.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d run the 2.0L first as well. My thinking is you get to enjoy more by going in stages. Run the 2.0L until that becomes boring and then slap the ProMax on there and it’s fresh thrills all over again. Something to scale up to type thing. Lots of fun to be had with both and your resto is so factory period correct it’s cool as heck to have the matching vintage motor on there. Like that moss boss vector that sold here a while back with the inline and no Jack plate. Looked so cool

have you thought of trying to wrap the clam on the promax?
    Hydrostream dreamin

16. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I’d run the 2.0L first as well. My thinking is you get to enjoy more by going in stages. Run the 2.0L until that becomes boring and then slap the ProMax on there and it’s fresh thrills all over again. Something to scale up to type thing. Lots of fun to be had with both and your resto is so factory period correct it’s cool as heck to have the matching vintage motor on there. Like that moss boss vector that sold here a while back with the inline and no Jack plate. Looked so cool

have you thought of trying to wrap the clam on the promax?
    I kinda see the 2.0 as a training engine to really learn how to handle the hull before going seriously fast.

I've really been trying to keep the factory feel. I know the rigging hoses and gauges aren't period correct, but they look much better than the alternate.

That Boss Moss was a cool boat. I was also a big fan of the blue Vector Scott Reiserson bought. It was on the front page here a few years ago. All original time capsule with a 150 tower bolted to the transom.

I 100% plan to put the clamshells on the ProMax! If I end up swapping them mid season I'll run the alien till winter and do that work over winter. These are my favorite alien cowl graphics after all.

18. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should get 70 with the lil engine and a 26p prop

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

20. Likes tnelsmn, Gw1nels175 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of a deep dive for something as simple as a steering wheel.

I do still have the original wheel from the boat in very good condition, but from the reading I've done it sounds like a 15" wheel is a bit excessive with hydraulic steering. So I tracked down a 13" wheel from Grant that looks very close to the stock wheel. The issue I had with the new wheel is the spokes aren't evenly spaced, which would drive me crazy with the wheel not returning to center with hydraulic.

I wanted to keep the original look, so the original hub was reused. To make that work on the round tapered shaft I welded the old square tapered hole shut and machined the new round taper and keyway into it.

The rivets were drilled out to remove the wood and the spokes were cut free from the hoop and the center. A new center was laser cut to match the bolt pattern from the original hub. The surface finish/grain on each spoke was redone to have it run parallel to the spoke. The spokes were shortened to move the wheel closer to he hub. As it was bought the wheel was too deep to be able to reach the paddle switches. Spokes were TIG welded back on evenly spaced and weld staining was metal finished away.

The wood was sanded down to remove the less than ideal finish from Grant. Then re stained and received three coats of Minwax polyurethane semi gloss.

Hex drive button head stainless bolts were used to attached the wood back to the hoop.

The original center cap/ride guide logo is long gone so I had new one made to look like the original. Its a thick gel sticker that looks pretty close.

Like I said, lots of work into a small detail like a steering wheel. But the small details add up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6561.jpg   62820347873__4428DF56-FE77-4593-8BE0-E84405FE631B 2.jpg   IMG_7629.jpg   IMG_7631.jpg   IMG_7673.jpg  

IMG_7693 copy.jpg   IMG_7698 copy.jpg   IMG_7699 copy.jpg   IMG_7710.jpg   IMG_7711.jpg  

IMG_7713.jpg   IMG_7714.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh T...Don't know if your looking but there are/was a couple days ago a bunch(well 5-6)of 26 choppers on ebay..just in case you were looking and missed them..some were crap but the others were in really nice shape..but damn if I can find a lh 26 have been looking since last year...to make my set.
    Last edited by mrichartz; 04-09-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    Oh T...Don't know if your looking but there are/was a couple days ago a bunch(well 5-6)of 26 choppers on ebay..just in case you were looking and missed them..some were crap but the others were in really nice shape..but damn if I can find a lh 26 have been looking since last year...to make my set.
    I have an untouched big ear 26 I picked up about a year ago. But now I'm starting to think of others to run with the ProMax. There's a few local guys who said I could try a few of their extras to see what the boat likes. Thanks for the heads up!

24. Likes mrichartz liked this post
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast