Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Just curious, was Mike Gwaltney a leadman or foreman over the guys that built the motors and rigged the boats for the race team?
    Thanks for checking in here @willabee ,

I asked Jim Nerstrom to answer your question and here it is..(2 minutes old)..!!

When I got involved with the race group Jim Wagner supervised the guys in Waukegan and was their boss, he reported to Jack Leek.
    Of the guys themselves, Mike was the lead technician. He organized the shop, made sure parts were on the shelfs, etc. Very organized guy.
    He left the group not much after I arrived. The group consisted of Harrold (Mouse) Wade, Kenny soller, Mike Kuckla, Rich McKinley, Mike Gwaltney, at the lakefront; Jimbo, Bob Nagode, John Hervat at the boat shop. Office, Jack Leek, Jim Wagner, Clearance Blanchard.
    Last edited by lars strom; 10-19-2022 at 10:09 AM.

2. Thanks willabee thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post

I asked Jim Nerstrom to answer your question and here it is..(2 minutes old)..!!

When I got involved with the race group Jim Wagner supervised the guys in Waukegan and was their boss, he reported to Jack Leek.
    Of the guys themselves, Mike was the lead technician. He organized the shop, made sure parts were on the shelfs, etc. Very organized guy.
    He left the group not much after I arrived. The group consisted of Harrold (Mouse) Wade, Kenny soller, Mike Kuckla, Rich McKinley, Mike Gwaltney, at the lakefront; Jimbo, Bob Nagode, John Hervat at the boat shop. Office, Jack Leek, Jim Wagner, Clearance Blanchard.
    Jim forgot Ted Wright, Ziggy Bottle, Ward Cox and Tom Corton. Both Mike Kuckla and Ted Wright died late '74, early '75.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West coast test site Boca grande

I’ve got a question for you guys was it OMC or mercury that had a test site on the West Coast around boca grande or Rotunda area.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberjack1234 View Post
    I’ve got a question for you guys was it OMC or mercury that had a test site on the West Coast around boca grande or Rotunda area.
    Mercury..!! there is more picture somewhere on this thread..I was there 10 years ago..It was closed down.

My pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-3188-0-59908300-1326830723.jpg   DSCN7438 (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by lars strom; 10-19-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vandervelden race boats

Did OMC five boats from Vandervelden and ship them over here or did he have them built here in the states by someone at Omc To his specifications. I know they were very fast boats and competitive with the Molinaries And Seybold hulls. I never got a chance to test or race one because I was just a local racing. Whenever Vandervelden came to Miami and hooked up with G Peacock he always had a sack full of uncut diamonds to sell. I thought that was strange for a guy who claim to be Just a washing machine salesman in Amsterdam. Anybody gotten any insight

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike Gwaltney .....

Back in the day when ECK was running the show, it was very clear that, if you worked for Mercury, you did not fraternize with the competition. That policy lightened up after he "retired". When I began having casual conversation with some of the OMC Team members, it seemed that Mike would generally be the first to speak. That's what made me think he may be the leadman.
    When I told the story of The Mighty KT passing the rotaries at Provo, I mentioned that when it took the lead, one of the OMC guys standing with Strang looked at me, smiled and said "that boat do run-run" ..... I'm pretty darn sure that it was Mike. ​To this day, that memory comes to mind every time I hear that song.

8. Thanks lars strom thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did OMC five boats from Vandervelden and ship them over here or did he have them built here in the states by someone at Omc To his specifications. I know they were very fast boats and competitive with the Molinaries And Seybold hulls. I never got a chance to test or race one because I was just a local racing. Whenever Vandervelden came to Miami and hooked up with G Peacock he always had a sack full of uncut diamonds to sell. I thought that was strange for a guy who claim to be Just a washing machine salesman in Amsterdam. Anybody gotten any insight
    Cees Van Der Velden was one of the best boat racers/boat builders ever.
    He was also a good friend and I raced for his team a few times.
    Always fun to hang around him, he loved girls, stayed up late in the hotel bar etc. He was also in charge of the F1-V8 drivers group.
    As far as I know all his race boats was built in his shop in Holland.
    When he switched from wood to composite boats same thing..but later after he retired Ben Roberson purchased the molds for the Velden Racing composite boats.
    I have seen them in Bens shop, Jacksonboro, South Carolina.
    Cees was a business man and I am sure he did some side business.
    R.I P. my freind
    Cees left us long time ago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v1.jpg   v4.jpg   v2.jpg   1456104_616439968412489_596654277_n - Copy.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story seems to vary on what Cees did for a living. I thought he had a radio / TV store?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of names from the past

A lot of names from the past
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    The story seems to vary on what Cees did for a living. I thought he had a radio / TV store?
    Ben Robertson Brett may Buck Morris a lot of names from the past that all raised in the Miami Marine Stadium at one time or another in various Boats. I can’t remember the race That Velden raised in But I know he used to hang around with Gary peacock ninja Gagne And the whole screaming yellow zonkers racing menagerie. Lotta good times back then. I wonder if Mr. Ben Robertson still has those moldsj

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMC also had a test base in Naples, FL. It was closed long before Stuart.

13. Thanks lars strom thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    ...Cees was a professional boat racer and boat builder/team owner...That's what he did for a living..!!..Like Billy Seebold and Renato Molinari.

A visit to the Velden factory Boxtel, Holland 1980.

Click the link below for full story.

https://svera.se/blogg/a-visit-to-the-velden-factory-boxtel-holland-1980/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (160).png  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Mr. Ben Robertson still has those moldsj
    Yes..still there. I have seen the molds many times. Ben also have a complete in running condition Velden with a Johnson F1-V8.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erik Nordskog

Lars... Geoff Briggs and Bob Larson ran this boat at the Parker nine hour enduro.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 312343728_10222617804298196_1725855766053921387_n.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erik Nordskog

Lars... Geoff Briggs and Bob Larson ran this boat at the Parker nine hour enduro.

Cathy McConnell

Jimbo drove this Boat at Parker 1975. The cover of this Powerboat is Parker 1976 with Geoff Briggs and Bobby Larsen driving. The photo is the poster put out by Evinrude. Jimbo and Johnnie Sanders were driving the gold and white Goat Boat with a V4. Evinrude when Jimbo was driving……Johnson when Johnnie was driving. There were no American factory sponsored drivers that year at Parker. The factory only sponsored the Australian drivers that year at Parker.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails briggs.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of boat was that? Molinari or Velden?

Page 683 of 834 FirstFirst ... 183 583 633 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 733 783 ... LastLast