User Tag List

Page 78 of 99 FirstFirst ... 28 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1478
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design Hull increases race boat speed, by Switzer Wing.

What was the relative boat speed increase, when (in the 1960's) the same twin outboard engines would be taken off a Power Cat and then put on a contemporary Switzer Wing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switzer Wing & Power Cat boats..png 
Views:	21 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	452399

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    What was the relative boat speed increase, when (in the 1960's) the same twin outboard engines would be taken off a Power Cat and then put on a contemporary Switzer Wing?

Here are the speeds from the records set at the Six Hour Race on Lake X. This was the first time we ever saw a Wing. Bakos was in a second wing, not the one that raced, which was Wing no.1. He and Jon Culver had an epic battle that ended when Jon Blew over. As you can see there was only about 4 mph difference in the kilo.. The Wings only got faster.. Cat's had just about reached their limit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speed records.jpg  

3. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me. I have been told that every wooden wing boat was different from all the others. The picture of the 7000 boat aired out is a classic.
    As I remember the way things went, there were only five wood wings. Then came the fire. Dave Craig had three, but drove them all, and totaled the 7000 Boat. Mr K wanted him to try to turn it as fast as he could, it tripped up and threw him through the side. He was hurt pretty bad.. Wasn't the first hurt either.. He is a tough guy.
    The numbers were changed often, so it's hard to distinguish them at times. I am pretty sure wing 2 is the one they made the mold from using it as a plug. Wing 5 was my favorite and the best looking.. Now my favorite is Rich's Rocket Wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wing 1 (2).jpg   Wing 2.jpg   Wing 3.jpg   Wing 4 changed to 700.jpg   Wing 5.jpg  

5. Thanks Mark75H, GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, GENE LANHAM, Lake X Kid, willabee liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. Thanks lilabner thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid, Powercat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    As I remember the way things went, there were only five wood wings. Then came the fire. Dave Craig had three, but drove them all, and totaled the 7000 Boat. Mr K wanted him to try to turn it as fast as he could, it tripped up and threw him through the side. He was hurt pretty bad.. Wasn't the first hurt either.. He is a tough guy.
    The numbers were changed often, so it's hard to distinguish them at times. I am pretty sure wing 2 is the one they made the mold from using it as a plug. Wing 5 was my favorite and the best looking.. Now my favorite is Rich's Rocket Wing.
    Hi Butch--

The original Wing--U4 ended up in Southern California--HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??

It had quite a history--

It was raced at Parker by anClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Olney Parker 68.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	452441 LA cop named Bill Olney--finished in the top 10--

Several years ago Bob Switzer wrote a little story about that boat---Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture #1 Wing --Bob Switzer.PNG 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	452440

9. Thanks lilabner thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid, lilabner, willabee liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wing boat classified as a Outboard Pleasure Craft ... what?

Was the APBA asleep at the wheel?

I still find it amusing when I read in the records, that Wing boats (like Switzer Wing) got classified in the Pleasure Craft category. How many APBA committee officers are going to say to their wives, lets take out a Wing boat for a pleasure craft ride on the water?

Now I see the semblance of a Power Cat to a retail production boat, but a Wing. How hard was it back in the day, for the APBA to add a new category to correctly classify the Wing Boats?

Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The construction of the Wing met the letter of the rules. You are looking back at something that everyone else was looking forward to at the time. OPC was completely new at that time.

12. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=gene lanham;3172362]hi butch--

the original wing--u4 ended up in southern california--how did that happen??

It had quite a history--

Thanks Gene,
    That makes more sense.
    When dave raced it as Miss Bonadettes and punched the nose in, then the boat disappeared, and the vee wing showed up.. I had quit working for him and went to Dade Marine again to work for Kenny Wilson, and the CIA boys.. I heard they were making a mold at Switzer Craft and always thought it was Bonadettes. I went to Skyway one day to watch the Vee wing run, and Dave asked me to drive it. It was at Blue Lagoon on a weekend and the lake was really busy.. Dave couldn't get enough speed to make it stop crow hopping and neither could I. I never knew who bought Bonadettes until years later. Shortly there after I was in the Marines and lost almost all contact with the Miami boat racers. But made great friends with Skip Talbot in Carlsbad. His little shop was like Lake X. I was with him a lot. Ted Jones was hanging with him also. What a great time we had.
    I remember being at OFF with the Switzers listening to their stories, I think you and Freddie were there too, as was Odell. I even remember him telling that story but which wing it was escaped me. Must of been the sauce..Dave told me that EC wanted him to run the 7000 boat hard. It was Odells boat at the time. When it crashed and sunk EC was really mad, and gave the 700 Boat, which at the time was Dave's, to Odell. Of course Dave was hurt and couldn't drive the 700 anyway.

It was raced at parker by anClick image for larger version. 

ID:	452441 la cop named bill olney--finished in the top 10--

several years ago bob switzer wrote a little story about that boat---Click image for larger version. 

ID:	452440[/

It had quite a history--

14. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Was the APBA asleep at the wheel?

I still find it amusing when I read in the records, that Wing boats (like Switzer Wing) got classified in the Pleasure Craft category. How many APBA committee officers are going to say to their wives, lets take out a Wing boat for a pleasure craft ride on the water?

Now I see the semblance of a Power Cat to a retail production boat, but a Wing. How hard was it back in the day, for the APBA to add a new category to correctly classify the Wing Boats?

That's what the U class was all about. The Power Cats ran in J... or JJ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was another guy in Miami that ran a Switzer wing before the glass boats came out. I was still in high school. Which boat was that? Who drove it? I only recall that guy running it a couple of times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    There was another guy in Miami that ran a Switzer wing before the glass boats came out. I was still in high school. Which boat was that? Who drove it? I only recall that guy running it a couple of times.
    Rees Schmidt--Miss Bonadettes---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=lilabner;3172400]
    Quote Originally Posted by gene lanham View Post
    hi butch--

It had quite a history--

Thanks Gene,
    That makes more sense.
    When dave raced it as Miss Bonadettes and punched the nose in, then the boat disappeared, and the vee wing showed up.. I had quit working for him and went to Dade Marine again to work for Kenny Wilson, and the CIA boys.. I heard they were making a mold at Switzer Craft and always thought it was Bonadettes. I went to Skyway one day to watch the Vee wing run, and Dave asked me to drive it. It was at Blue Lagoon on a weekend and the lake was really busy.. Dave couldn't get enough speed to make it stop crow hopping and neither could I. I never knew who bought Bonadettes until years later. Shortly there after I was in the Marines and lost almost all contact with the Miami boat racers. But made great friends with Skip Talbot in Carlsbad. His little shop was like Lake X. I was with him a lot. Ted Jones was hanging with him also. What a great time we had.
    I remember being at OFF with the Switzers listening to their stories, I think you and Freddie were there too, as was Odell. I even remember him telling that story but which wing it was escaped me. Must of been the sauce..Dave told me that EC wanted him to run the 7000 boat hard. It was Odells boat at the time. When it crashed and sunk EC was really mad, and gave the 700 Boat, which at the time was Dave's, to Odell. Of course Dave was hurt and couldn't drive the 700 anyway.

It was raced at parker by anClick image for larger version. 

ID:	452441 la cop named bill olney--finished in the top 10--

several years ago bob switzer wrote a little story about that boat---Click image for larger version. 

ID:	452440[/

It had quite a history--

Name:	BILL DUDDY 046.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	452501

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lake x kid View Post
    what was the relative boat speed increase, when (in the 1960's) the same twin outboard engines would be taken off a power cat and then put on a contemporary switzer wing?

butch?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Booger.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	452504

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    butch?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Booger.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	452504
    Depends on the year. This cat would run about 80-82, in smooth water, 1961. These engines on a wing (Merc 800's) about 3 or 4 mph faster.. This was in 61.. After that when the 100's came out the wings took off. I drove a triple engine Stylecraft in 67 with 100's, no stacks. It would run 88 mph and was a great ride. Power cats were pretty flighty back then, but they were good boats. Same old story, throw money at it till you got it right.

21. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was he and how did he get a hold of a wing? I thought Mercury controlled all of those wood wings. I do not recall that guy being around when I started driving in 1964.
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Rees Schmidt--Miss Bonadettes---

Page 78 of 99 FirstFirst ... 28 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 LastLast