User Tag List

Page 6 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 56 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think the 301 picture was taken at Long Beach. More like Havasu or Parker.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida Multi's from back then......

Al Ensweiler passing Chick Gagen to win UU Class at the Div.8 Regionals in Miami, July, 1969.....not sure of the hulls, a McCall passing a Magnum??

The 2nd shot is Tom Sikes winning Miami to Key Largo, The Roaring 100 in June, 1969. Again not sure what hull Chickenship was.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 041.jpg   PB68&69 035.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Pair of Wings......

T40 - Bob Massey - taking 1st ouboard and 8th overall in the first Elsinore 500 in 1968....a race won by Vic Edelbrock. Gene Lanham told me that the best outboard finish to date was he and Bill Sirois at Parker that year in his 18' Wing, Red Bird when they finished 6th overall. Jim Merten and Boots Spellman finished 2nd overall at Parker in 1969 and that was the last win for the inboards. Massey's right side engine cowl fell off of his boat during the race, making the boat look a little strange.

T119 - Kenny Kitson - hopefully a better picture than the one I posted previously of him taking 4th at Parker in 1969 ( the Champion spark plug ad )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 021.jpg   PB68&69 024.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 02-02-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always thought the Champion ad has to be in the top 10 race boat pics of all time. Have it as background on my computer. True definition of "Switzer Flying Wing"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenny got in trouble with Mr. Carl K when that ad came out. Some sort of deal was made for the Champion ad "before" Kenny started working for Mercury. After the fact Kenny got hooked up with Mercury and the ad came out. Mr. K wasn't please and Kenny had to do a little tap dancing to explain the situation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicFloat
    Always thought the Champion ad has to be in the top 10 race boat pics of all time. Have it as background on my computer. True definition of "Switzer Flying Wing"
    Agreed, it's a great picture...my personal favorite is the shot of Wet and Wild posted on the "Tough Decision" thread, it's not only flying, but has all that neat background stuff. I use the shot of the Merc Racing Team, 1972 as my screen saver .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mercury_Racing_1972_004.jpg   PB68&69 024.jpg   wet&wild.01.parker1969.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-07-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass
    Kenny got in trouble with Mr. Carl K when that ad came out. Some sort of deal was made for the Champion ad "before" Kenny started working for Mercury. After the fact Kenny got hooked up with Mercury and the ad came out. Mr. K wasn't please and Kenny had to do a little tap dancing to explain the situation.
    There is something wrong with that picture, that ad came out in 1969 and Kenny was driving Merc's stuff in 1968, maybe even earlier...he's driving Merc's stuff in the ad! Back then, Merc had a policy that said you could not put any advertising on their boat without their permissoin and they controlled all print advertising. Any time someone deviated from policy, E.C. was upset. Drivers with less stature than Kitson were dropped for not following company policy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenny was obviously connected with Mercury for a long time. Then at some point he had a contract with them. Soon after the Champion ad came out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the boat in the ad the same one Kenny is driving at exhibitions now with Bob V., or is it another Miss Diablo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the boat in the ad the same one Kenny is driving at exhibitions now with Bob V., or is it another Miss Diablo?
    Go to the "Switzer Wing Refurb" thread on page 2 and check out the photos that T2x put up on posts #48 & 49....it doesn't look like the new boat had previously been one of the Diablo's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Havasu, 1971......

Bill Sirois makes it two wins in a row driving the reverse S with a pair of Twister I's. I remember him arriving for that race.....he chatted with the troops, looked over his boat and went out for his first test. After a short run, he got out of the boat and went over to our prop truck and began talking to someone (I'm pretty sure it was his brother Steve) that had come to the race with him. I just happened to be heading for the same truck at that time and I swear I overheard Bill say " This is going to be a walk in the park, nothing is going to beat that boat. I think I'll try a couple of sets of different props just to make it look like it needs some work, but this thing is ready to go."........he was right.

The first shot is from a Mercury ad and the second is from the cover of Powerboat January, 1972.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 053.jpg   PB68&69 054.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-13-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my memory is not all gone I think Chick is in a Phantom but I could be mistaken. I do know that Albert is in a cut down Magnum Missle. That thing was the fastest boat in these parts until he blew it over on the back stretch at Miami Marine Stadium. I saw that one and it was ugly. Albert got hurt pretty bad also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six Pac.......

Slipping this photo in because it reminds me of a Jim Emerson story.....I had to go down to Lake X to start preparing for a Miami race. I was kind of tired and decided to go early figuring that no one would be there on that weekend, arrived Saturday night. Got up at my leisure on Sunday, jumped in a golf cart and just kind of rode around. There's Jim, working on Juan Fernandez's offshore boat all by himself, I think he said that it had to be ready to travel to a race on Monday. Anyway, I spent my day off as his " hand me this " guy. When it was ready to test, he said jump in and work the stopwatch. He made his runs, was satisfied with it's performance and headed back towards the shop.
    Suddenly, he changes direction and with a big grin says "this should be fun, let's see what kind of time this thing can make around your test course" ( the 1 2/3 mile Miami course had been set up for the tunnel boats ). He did one hell of a job muscling that boat around that small course! Then he told me to give it a try, and of course, I did. Running flat out towards the 1st buoy, I grabbed a handfull of throttles to back off for the turn....that's when I realized that my hand wasn't as big as his and I couldn't get them all. Like a dummy, I used my other hand to pull on the rest of them. Jim quickly grabbed the wheel and made the turn as I used both hands to push them forward again for the straightaway. We made the next turn the same way and headed for the shop....agreeing that my comfort zone might be restricted to single engine boats .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 068.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 02-04-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That boat in the champiion ad is the #6 wing . The #3 that i have is the one that set the records stated in the ad along with the world championship.
    We'll see her with Stacks this year. Bob

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to hearing it with stacks

Page 6 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 56 ... LastLast