User Tag List

Page 26 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 76 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this was discussed a while back...it's was on the back of Powerboat Nov 1971
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MercStacker.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another race promotion from Race News Oct 1968. Lake Elsinore with $10,000 in prize money......that was 1968 dollars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elsinore.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this thread

I was lucky enough to work for Outboard Bob's uncle John Valachovic and cousin Mike for many years. Schenectady Marine was a racers haven. John Sherlock, Dave Packer, and Bill Seebold, would show up once in a while and Charlie Strang would call from time to time. I wish I had some of the pictures and race motors that were all over the dealership.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John V. & family

Quote Originally Posted by Dntlokbak View Post
    I was lucky enough to work for Outboard Bob's uncle John Valachovic and cousin Mike for many years. Schenectady Marine was a racers haven. John Sherlock, Dave Packer, and Bill Seebold, would show up once in a while and Charlie Strang would call from time to time. I wish I had some of the pictures and race motors that were all over the dealership.
    Have great memories of John He was a really keen organizer and we made every effort to support his events.
    His "Flying Mile" event is where we did 113 with our Miles sprint boat..........pretty great ride!
    I recall his son's daytona charger.................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Memories

John was a great man. He got me into Stock Outboard racing. He had a rack of winning motors that he could have let me use but he wouldn't. He told me I had to build my own and he showed me how. At the time I had no idea how far reaching his influence was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up Up and Away.....

Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    I think this was discussed a while back...it's was on the back of Powerboat Nov 1971
    Notice anything unusual about the fill caps on that boat?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Notice anything unusual about the fill caps on that boat?
    Hi Willabee...It has been a while....

Looking from the rear, they appear to be at about a 15 to 20 degree angle to the right of dead center. Perhaps for easier access from the fueling dock???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up Up and Away.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Hi Willabee...It has been a while....

Looking from the rear, they appear to be at about a 15 to 20 degree angle to the right of dead center. Perhaps for easier access from the fueling dock???
    Yes it has been, hope all is well. Good eye on the caps, you're exactly right.

I not only got to spend a bunch of time driving this boat, I also got to refuel it at several races. When it came over, it had one of Molinari's tanks in it. The fill pipes were straight up and side by side (see shot of #99 below). That meant that in order to use one pipe for fuel and the other for sight, you had to straddle that big, wide cowl. For me, that wasn't easy and it took time to get on and off of that thing while trying to hand the fuel nozzle back and forth.

When we added some horsepower, it needed a larger capacity tank. I had one made with the canted fill pipes (see the color shot below) so that anyone could jump on with nozzle in hand, snap one cap open to begin refueling and then snap the other open to view. Sometimes we didn't need to put a full load in so we had to be aware of fuel level as it filled. Also, I never wanted to have fuel come blowing out of the second pipe and splash the driver.....that makes for a real bad case of "the fisherman's arse". Just having access from the side was already faster than what we had been doing and we didn't have to waste even more precious time getting over that huge cowl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Boat Mag 011.jpg   Power Boat Mag 049.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 03-21-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As requested;
    1. What was left of the light weight 21' Glass Molly I crashed on the first lap of Havasu '70
    2. 21' Glass Twin at Austin Aqua race in '70. This was the same boat we finished 6th at Parker '70
    3. We set a new record for this race (Houston Channel Derby) Red Adair held the record for several years. We took 8 min. off that, a 54 min. run from Houston to Galveston and back.
    4. Sorry, I couldn't resist posting the pic of Bill Cooper again. This is an awesome shot. Although, I think this was a normal attitude & altitude for anything he drove

Fielder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '21 T-74 Remains.jpg   1969 Austin Marathon-5.jpg   1970 Channel Derby.jpg   Bill Cooper Glastron IB (2).jpg  

10. Likes Mike Bruton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you will notice the shot of the boat on the trailer, from the transome forward about 8' the boat was undamaged. When it entered the water it went about 14 or 15 ft in, stopped, imploded & then exploded. If it had been a regular 21' boat I don't know what the events would have been. This light weight hull had no plywood, all aircraft honeycombing and an endgrain balsa wood composite transome. I thanked Art later for that boat !! If you saw the picture taken about 3 sec. before I crashed, notice the engines were tucked all the way under, with a full fuel load. It was running between 115 & 117 down the back stretch where I pulled away from Renato. My point is, this boat would have never made a full 2hr run without going over. We didn't do enough testing, I was so blown away with the results the first time we ran it, I told Harold, let's go to Havasu! Bad call.

Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would bring this thread back up to the top. Was going to post this in the dissapeared cat thread....but it is a multi. Went to the Salton Sea kilo runs last December. The fastest time there was a Sportsman 28' Cat Twin Supercharged Team Eliminator - Tony Charimante Speed: 143.829 MPH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eliminator-a.jpg   Eliminator.jpg   SaltonSea-Eliminator-a.jpg   SaltonSea-Poster.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice reading boys.... A+ JP Love
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T301

Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Who was running the 301 Molinari ??
    Ken Mann of Houston, Tx.
    1169 Crusader

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havasu 1970.....

Quote Originally Posted by jlf56 View Post
    ..... It was running between 115 & 117 down the back stretch where I pulled away from Renato.......Fielder
    I was looking at some old race stuff over the weekend and came across some visual evidence of Joe's lead. You will have to take my word for who is in the shots below, the boats are so far away you can just make out who's who when they are running, but not from a picture of a picture.

Lil Joe is talking about pulling away from Renato during the first lap of Havasu in 1970. These are photos of just what kind of a lead he did have for that lap. The lead boat is Joe Fielder, the white boat running 2nd to his left is Renato. The dark boat in the center of the picture is Caesar Scotti running 4th and in one of the shots you can see a dark spec on the left edge behind Renato.....that is Bill Wiles coming around 3rd in a twin OMC powered Seajay! The boats in the turn are Sirois, Merten & Spencer Dunn. They all have good looking roostertails so you know they were pushing hard on the loud pedal.

His 21' Glastron/Molinari had about another 10 seconds to look pretty before creating one of the scariest sights I have ever witnessed! Over one hundred race boats heading for the next turn not realizing and not able to see that there is a man in the water right smack in the middle of the lane they are running. I'm still amazed no one took him down the tunnel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st lap Havasu 1970.jpg   1970 Havasu 1st lap.jpg   Havasu 1970 1st lap.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 11-17-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember it well

Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I was looking at some old race stuff over the weekend and came across some visual evidence of Joe's lead. You will have to take my word for who is in the shots below, the boats are so far away you can just make out who's who when they are running, but not from a picture of a picture.

Lil Joe is talking about pulling away from Renato during the first lap of Havasu in 1970. These are photos of just what kind of a lead he did have for that lap. The lead boat is Joe Fielder, the white boat running 2nd to his left is Renato. The dark boat in the center of the picture is Jim Merten running 3rd and in one of the shots you can see a dark spec on the left edge behind Renato.....that is the eventual winner Bill Sirois coming around 4th on the first lap! They all have good looking roostertails so you know they were pushing hard on the loud pedal.

His 21' Glastron/Molinari had about another 10 seconds to look pretty before creating one of the scariest sights I have ever witnessed! Over one hundred race boats heading for the next turn not realizing and not able to see that there is a man in the water right smack in the middle of the lane they are running. I'm still amazed no one took him down the tunnel.
    I was there with Lee Richter from Pasadena, Tx. I was only 16 & it was my first trip outside of Tx. Needless to say the least it was an exciting experience for me.
    Joe's nosedive happenned directly in front of our pit. I had only been around racing for about a year & had seen a few flips & barrel rolls. But that nose dive was the wildest thing I had ever seen. It all looked like slow motion to me. What was ironic was that I had just said to someone next to me that Ramos' wake was really dangerous.
    1169 Crusader

Page 26 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 76 ... LastLast