User Tag List

Page 22 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 72 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Fiberglass

I think you missed a couple of twins.
    1) Bobby Witt of Baytown Marine -- 21' Glastron molly # 36 twin Erudes
    2) Me / T-74 21' Glastron Molly 2 stacker mercs

I finished 9th after Bobby barreled his twin in the pit turn on the last lap.
    That was a wild finish. We were wadded up going into the last turn when Bobby hung the sponson and rolled, the rest of us scattered like a couvy of quail trying to miss him and each other. Then it was a drag race to the finish line. Tinker Collenge (sp) was my co-driver at that race. Like I said, "I think" this all happened in the '70 race. I only drove one Parker race. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Fielder
    Last edited by jlf56; 01-15-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: missed spelled word

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_jeff View Post
    Hi all,
    new to this thread, but I had to post one of my favorite hot multis. Please reply with any info you may have on it.
    thanks,
    jeff
    Jeff - This is the boat that Bill (Sirois) won the 1970 Havasu with. After the race they repainted and spiffed it up for exhibit. - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,
    Happy New Year!
    Do you know where the boat is today?

jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Jeff - This is the boat that Bill (Sirois) won the 1970 Havasu with. After the race they repainted and spiffed it up for exhibit. - Steve Sirois

Steve:

I thought the old man gave the boat to Bill after that.......
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Steve:

Jeff & Rich - I have heard that he did give it to Bill, but I don't think I heard it from Bill. I really don't know what happended to it. I just sent an e-mail to Doug Janisch asking him if he knows. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Steve:

But Mr. K had already left Mercury by then-----
    Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 01-15-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: context

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    new to this thread, but I had to post one of my favorite hot multis. Please reply with any info you may have on it.
    thanks,
    jeff
    wow, that is beautiful!

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you missed a couple of twins.
    1) Bobby Witt of Baytown Marine -- 21' Glastron molly # 36 twin Erudes
    2) Me / T-74 21' Glastron Molly 2 stacker mercs - jlf56
    jlf56 - There was two pages of entries I just picked out the Mercury team entries.

willabee - I have a picture of Fred driving Kitson's Miss Diablo 6 with stackers some place. Might have been bar hopping.....Boots recalled bar hopping in them....the good old days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    But Mr. K had already left Mercury by then-----
    I am (almost) positive that EC had the stacks polished and the gold paint job put on that boat and presented it to Bill at some kind of banquet......

Maybe I am getting old (maybe?????) or perhaps it was Garbrecht's idea...or Ham Hamberger, but i recall Bill getting that boat with a splash of publicity.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the picture looks, both the engines and the boat appear to be immaculate as you said. I wonder if it was ever driven again or if it is still in this condition. What a find that would be!!!

jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havasu winner 1970.....

As the picture looks, both the engines and the boat appear to be immaculate as you said. I wonder if it was ever driven again or if it is still in this condition. What a find that would be!!!
    The way I remember it, the boat went to the Merc PR group in Fond du Lac after the race. They arranged for the "new" paint scheme. I seem to recall that we had something to do with putting the "dummy" engines on it (empty blocks).....all just for show. It went on tour to various dealers for a year and then came back to Merc Racing in Oshkosh.

It was rigged with new engines and such and entered in the 1971 Havasu World Championships. Billy Don Pruett drove it that year. I recall that he had some problems with it leaking and had to put in it the water just before the start to avoid sinking. It didn't run the way it used to..... probably because it was carrying an extra ton of paint! Pruett blew it over and both he and the boat suffered some heavy damage. I don't remember seeing it after that, but I think that Jim Hunt said that he hauled it to Lake X after the race.

I don't recall that it was given to Bill Sirois, but I don't know for sure that it wasn't either. I do know that I thought it was a great boat and I really enjoyed driving it. I liked it when it was the original orange and black, but liked it even more in black with grey.....it just looked tougher. Just my opinion, but I thought they ruined it with that PR paint job. It should have gone on tour as it raced......but with the chrome pipes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Boat Mag 011.jpg   Power Boat Mag 051.jpg   Power Boat Mag 072.jpg   Power Boat Mag 049.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 01-19-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    thanks,
    jeff
    Jeff, that is a fabulous shot. Any way we can get a larger higher resolution version of it? (The print size is only about the size of the thumbnail on the thread.) Could you email me the raw scan of it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much horsepower have 1350 Stack engine ... And Rpm??? JP

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Love View Post
    How much horsepower have 1350 Stack engine ... And Rpm??? JP
    No one knows for sure, but a good guess would be most of them were 160-ish @ 7,000

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gold T-111 wing

*** It is true that BOOTS Spellmen owned that boat, and I understand that he did race it on more than once. My father bought the T-111 from Boots in the spring of 1972. I was with my father the day he pick it up at Boot Spellmen Marine on the river in Osh. WI. Dad got the boat, the left engine, witch was I think a 1350 stacker on a stock 15" mid and a left hand SSM. He also got another stock 15" mid and a matching right hand SSM. A box of props and all equipent to rigg it. It had two stock merc controll boxes mounted on their sides, one on top of the other for thottle control. *** Tom Beason form Menasha WI ran a performance boat shop called CUSTOM MARINE, later to be known for his intivative work on water jacketed hearders for offshore race boats under that same name. Tom was a good freind to my father and helped him find the needed peices to finish the right engine,and two years later help Dad find a buyer when he was ready to sell it. I think Tom also play a roll in my father buying the boat to begain with.*** I helped my farther ever weekend in the spring of 1972 (as much as a 9 year old could help) put that thing togather and for my efforts got to tag along on the many trips back to Boot's pace to ask him this or that. Boot's had a small bar at his marina close to the water and his fueling station that he and Dad spent many hours Bull****ting and tipping a few.** On one of the many trips to Boot's place, Boot's ask Dad if he rounded up all the stuff needed to put the t-111 back into service as the fastest bar hopper on the Winnebago-wolf river system. Pa said ya but had one piece missing to finish it up, when ask dad said that he needed one wrap around cowl for the right hand stracker. Boots was a OMC dealer. ** After hearing this boots got a **** eating grin, turning to the old man he said I got two that you can have! I'm sure they had at lest a 12er in them at this time: So boots knowing I knew my way around his place, informed me on where the cowls would be and ask if I would go get them for my old man I was always happy to go for this and go for that, so in a dead run I went to where I was instucted to go and could not find anything black or that said Mercury on it. I went back to report my findings and asked if maybe they were somewhere else? Boots told me that I wasnt looking at things the right way and went with me and found that they were in the exact spot that he said they were. So we take them back to dad and he was shocked to see that the resand I could not find them was that they had been painted white and had Johnson stickers on them!* Ledgen has it that at one time Boots wanted a Mercury dealership, when turned down he got a Johnson dealership from omc. ledgen gos that he showed up at a race with his Mercury stackers painted white and sporting Johnson stickers in portest to the Mercury dealership turn down. Boots said that he was told by Mercury that if he did not stop this he would be sued for fulse addvertising a Mercury product as a OMC! True story
    Last edited by wogi; 01-17-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    1994 Brad Collins Mirage Jag.with 1990 2.4 BP E.F.I Offshore

Page 22 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 72 ... LastLast