User Tag List

Page 16 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 66 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Jackie Wilson collection......

First shot is a 20' Jones that appears to be running stock powerheads.....I can't see any pipes or logs in the photo. The writing on the nose says Ala Moana Hotel. That hotel is in Oahu or Waikiki and what looks like a lei is packed around the gas caps. Although I don't recall it, it sure makes me think this was driven by Dave Packer. I looked real hard at the guy in the black outfit for another clue, but that just turned out to be Denis Berghauer ..... I think this is 1970.

On post #62 I told you about a home we rented and used for headquarters while at Havasu. The 2nd shot is also 1970 and it shows that home and some of the yard storage. Our parts truck Day Tripper is in the driveway with side doors open. The boat along side of the truck is another 20' Jones, this one driven by our favorite guy Billy Don Pruett.....probably needing new powerheads and it probably was only Wednesday . I'm pretty sure that the stars & stripes boat is the twin McCall BIGJOB shown on post # 213. I think John Henry Price had bought it, applied the new paint and put new stackers on it. Next to it under the orange cover is Bob Hering's new 17' Molinari.....he is probably all through testing and just waiting for the race. Tom Stickle had one just like this and set a single engine speed record on Saturday.....Hering broke it on Sunday. The yellow #5 is Fred Miles new Milesmaster. That is the boat that was used by Al Martin, Chick Gagen and Gary Peacock to start Zonkercraft. If you look closely, you can see Pruett's boat cowling on the bed of an old blue truck. Immediately to the left of that is a light blue boat.....that's the one T2x was running that year .....he said that he wanted to park it near the parts truck in hopes that some speed would rub off.

The 3rd shot is of our refueling rig and dock. I can see four 4" hoses coming from just underneath the banner. I don't remember how many galllons of fuel each one of the tanks held, but there were four of them. Jim Emerson used the lower tanks to mix the gas and oil and then pumped it to the upper tanks for the gravity feed. It wasn't much fun towing that rig from Wisconsin. The banner says "Mercury Twister Racing Team". The guy in the sunglasses is Roy Ridgell, Mgr.European Racing and the man he is talking to is Dr. Ted Morgan, the C6 engineer (think Morgan/Square carbs.....6 of them). This is also 1970 and we have a few C6 engines in this race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1970 Havasu 20' Jones.jpg   1970 Havasu Rented Home.jpg   1971 Havasu Morgan Ridgell.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 08-08-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earl Bentz

I got to see Earl drive the Geechee One when I was kid. The boat would outrun other boats with way more horsepower because they designed it to be fast on sprint courses. The boat would also turn incredibly fast in its day.

That got a lot of attention for him. In the '72 havasu race he drove a Mcdonald tunnel with a V-4. Finished 7th which was quite impressive with that set up. I did see that boat run in the summer of '72 and it was the fastest Mcdonald that I ever saw. I think the next year he was driving for Mercury.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first shot is the left side of our refueling dock just before the start of the 1971 Havasu race. The two men standing on the beach are Dick Lanpheer and Ray Reid, both engineers from Plt#6 two cycle development. Lanpheer was the lead engineer for the TII carburation system. Starting on the right and going left are the twins of Petty, Sirois, Pruett and Eis. On the dock I see Jimmy Kubasta and Dave Beier with the #998 between them.

The second shot is the right side of the refueling dock. The red Molinari off the end of the dock is Tom Stickle and that looks like Ken Ballou holding him. Moving left is Mike Downard with either Bill Allen or Jim Merten holding him. Next is Renato in the life jacket, apparently waiting for his holder to arrive. The last one is Denis and Duey Berghauer, looks like Mike Goerlitz holding. Milling around yet I can see a Canadian entry, #17 which looks like a Milesmaster and a bunch of OMC team boats.....#'s 196 - 31 - 3 - 30 - 289.....I think that means Sanders, McConnell, Briggs, ????? and Schubert.

The last is the start, Boom, they're off.....Stickle's C6 didn't light, Renato's C6 is just pulling away as is Downards TI. There are also three OMC boats that haven't fired yet. Looks like 4 singles in front of Petty's twin as they approach the first buoy, Sirois is about 8th.....I don't think that I've started to breathe again just yet.....Man, that was really exciting stuff!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 Havasu Lanpheer.jpg   1971 Havasu Renato Stickle.jpg   1971 Havasu the Start.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Well you can't argue with verified photographic evidence............. .....T2x
    Boy, in this case your words couldn't be more accurate!!! I'm afraid I have to tell you guys that I have been in error about the power used by Bill Sirois in 1971. Someone had asked if the boat he won with in 1971 was the same one Jim Merten finished 2nd with in 1970. My answer was all we did was change numbers and put Up, Up and Away on it. That meant we built fresh cowbells for that race. Well, the picture below clearly shows that Sirois ran TI silo's in 1971.....sorry about that error. I could swear that we had put new cowbells on it.....I guess we must have sent them all to Canada .

Anyway, the first shot is the man getting ready to test at Havasu in 1971. I remember (and in this case I really do ) walking towards the prop truck right after Bill had driven this boat for the first time. He was talking with someone that had come to Havasu with him and I overheard him say something like " This is going to be a piece of cake. I think I will test a few more props just to make it look like I'm working on a setup, but this turkey is ready" .....and he was right.

I also remember talking with Merten after the 1970 race. During the Mercury Team meeting before the start of the Sunday run in 1970, Garbrecht had reminded all the drivers that we had this race in the bag and that we were not going to screw it up by racing each other. All Merc drivers were instructed to "stay in line".....Mert was in the overall first position after the Saturday run and Sirois was in second. Mert told me that at one point during the first hour on Sunday, Sirois came on by him. He said he pushed the throttle down a little more and pulled along side of Bill and motioned for him to get back in line.....Bill did and a little later Mert had the electrical fire and Bill took the lead. I imagine that Sirois wondered just how much better Merten's boat really was when that little incident happened in 1970 and now he knew.....that's why he was so confident.

The second shot is the same boat, the same race. Using a magnifying glass, I can see Molly Ballou, our "Den Mother" in the yellow jacket at the rear of the boat. It sure looks like Olegator is standing next to her. I think the guy leaning on the nose is Richie Powers. Those people standing there sure make that boat look big, but like a wise man once said, "At Havasu, Big is Good".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 Havasu Sirois.jpg   1971 Havasu Molly Ballou.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 08-13-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Boy, in this case your words couldn't be more accurate!!! I'm afraid I have to tell you guys that I have been in error about the power used by Bill Sirois in 1971. Someone had asked if the boat he won with in 1971 was the same one Jim Merten finished 2nd with in 1970. My answer was all we did was change numbers and put Up, Up and Away on it. That meant we built fresh cowbells for that race. Well, the picture below clearly shows that Sirois ran TI silo's in 1971.....sorry about that error. I could swear that we had put new cowbells on it.....I guess we must have sent them all to Canada .

Anyway, the first shot is the man getting ready to test at Havasu in 1971. I remember (and in this case I really do ) walking towards the prop truck right after Bill had driven this boat for the first time. He was talking with someone that had come to Havasu with him and I overheard him say something like " This is going to be a piece of cake. I think I will test a few more props just to make it look like I'm working on a setup, but this turkey is ready" .....and he was right.

I also remember talking with Merten after the 1970 race. During the Mercury Team meeting before the start of the Sunday run in 1970, Garbrecht had reminded all the drivers that we had this race in the bag and that we were not going to screw it up by racing each other. All Merc drivers were instructed to "stay in line".....Mert was in the overall first position after the Saturday run and Sirois was in second. Mert told me that at one point during the first hour on Sunday, Sirois came on by him. He said he pushed the throttle down a little more and pulled along side of Bill and motioned for him to get back in line.....Bill did and a little later Mert had the electrical fire and Bill took the lead. I imagine that Sirois wondered just how much better Merten's boat really was when that little incident happened in 1970 and now he knew.....that's why he was so confident.

The second shot is the same boat, the same race. Using a magnifying glass, I can see Molly Ballou, our "Den Mother" in the yellow jacket at the rear of the boat. It sure looks like Olegator is standing next to her. I think the guy leaning on the nose is Richie Powers. Those people standing there sure make that boat look big, but like a wise man once said, "At Havasu, Big is Good".
    Man, that boat was beautiful!
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

6. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the last of the goodys Jackie sent.....The first shot looks like it was taken at the rented home. This is 1970 Havasu and the white Molinari is the fastest boat that was in that race. I think that it is the last of the twin outboard hulls that he built. We didn't have any new ones for the 1971 race and factory racing went to single engine boats in 1972. He began to build big picklefork hulls for KT racing in late 74 or 1975.

That is Richie Powers doing a powerhead check before Renato Molinari goes out to test. There is no doubt that if Renato doesn't blow a gearcase with about a half hour left in the Saturday run, he wins the whole shebang. Behind him you can see the boat that did win. Bill Sirois is sitting in the cockpit and Jerry Kohnke (the race teams main rigger) is standing at the rear. Looks like the man just to the right of Richie's head talking to Sirois is Renato.

The second shot is 1971 Havasu, with a magnifying glass I can see Sirois in the #998 twin just to the right of the refueling docks observation platform. My guess is that he just left the dock after refueling and, for some reason, is having a little trouble getting up to speed.....we know that problem didn't last long . I believe I can identify everyone in the photo, left to right.....Jim Emerson, Dave Beier, Renato (on top of the refueling rig, Bob Hering must have just taken over driving duties in the "cockpit forward" C6 he ran that year), Gary Garbrecht, Jim Merten, Bill Allen, me, Chuck Mettner and Rick LaMore.....more fond memorys .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1970 Havasu R.Powers.jpg   1971 Havasu Refueling Rig.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 08-17-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion Spark Plug Ad.....

I can't find where we were talking about Bob Nordskog, but I think it was Raceman that had asked some questions about him and in my response I said that I guessed that his 22' Jones KT was about a 125 mph boat.

In Powerboat, June,1974, Bob's KT is featured in a full page ad for Champion. It says that he ran 111.738 at the Parker, Az. speed trials in 1972. He came back the next year and, at age 60, used the same boat and engine to run 119.223. The next day he improved that mark to 125.569. It's nice to be right about something once in a while .

The reason for the big speed gain was the new props that were being developed for the KT project boat that Gary Peacock had raced for us in 1973 (My Favorite Summer). I believe Bob had been using the only stuff available, a two blade elephant ear. The new props were big 3 blade cleavers, much more efficient and probably even safer.

Here is the Powerboat ad and a reminder of what the Merc KT project boat looked like, and almost didn't look like !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB Mag June 74 Champion Ad.jpg   KT22.Provo.03.speed.jpg   KT22.Walker Lake.08.fire.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 10-02-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little more triva. The picture of Ed Steward that Willabee posted running the red wing is the Miss Diablo 3 after Kenny sold it to him.

Also, bumped into a guy who was involved with the 444 ocean racer that ran 4 Mercs. Posted pictures of it here - http://www.retroboats.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151 Willabee what was the typical fuel burn per hour for a single inline of that era ?? Was told the hull became the first Scrabb.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Also, bumped into a guy who was involved with the 444 ocean racer that ran 4 Mercs. Posted pictures of it here - http://www.retroboats.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151 Willabee what was the typical fuel burn per hour for a single inline of that era ??
    The stacked 1350 burned 17 gallons per hour at W.O.T. The Twister and TI about the same. The C6 used 20 and the TII about 22.

Beware, T2x might tell you that, based on his experience, they burned a lot less. If he does say that, I'd have to say that, based on his experience, he is probably right. However, remember that the numbers I just gave you are at W.O.T. and, according to the Canadian Merc Racing Team members, T2x rarely ran a race boat at Wide Open Throttle .
    Last edited by willabee; 11-01-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    The stacked 1350 burned 17 gallons per hour at W.O.T. The Twister and TI about the same. The C6 used 20 and the TII about 22.

Beware, T2x might tell you that, based on his experience, they burned a lot less. If he does say that, I'd have to say that, based on his experience, he is probably right. However, remember that the numbers I just gave you are at W.O.T. and, according to the Canadian Merc Racing Team members, T2x rarely ran a race boat at Wide Open Throttle .
    True, but I also drank the excess AV Gas after the race........

Actually, I was going to say that, "based on my experience", you burned the actual HP divided by 10 ....i.e 150 HP = 15 gallons per hour, 330 HP (current 300X's)=33 gals/hr...etc. So if a T2x was producing 190-210 HP you figured 19-21 Gals/Hr.

Now I must agree with Willabee that a race engine, when run at W.O.T. on a dyno or bolted to a dock on the Fox River (Willabee's normal "driving" conditions... ), the hourly burn was a bit higher....but....those test engines never backed off for turns or, in my case, near misses, barrel rolls, flips and spinouts.

Bottom line, I may not have been fast....but I never ran out of fuel either...

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 11-01-2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

..... bolted to a dock on the Fox River (Willabee's normal "driving" conditions...
    Nice shot.....

Your rule of dividing by 10 is actually pretty close, I've never heard anyone suggest that before. However, in our case at Racing, if the engineers said max was 20, I'm having a 20.5 fuel tank built for that boat. When they forgot to tell us (I suppose you could argue that I forgot to ask) that the TII used a couple more than the C6, it was rather embarrassing at the 74 Miami Winter Nationals .
    Last edited by willabee; 11-01-2007 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Willabee:

In all seriousness, the guys from the East Coast OPC scene (Like me, Linder, Gene Bianco, Ken Kalibat, Marty O'Neill and others), missed the whole point on the "lightweight" racing point of view. Fuel supply was an afterthought and my 10 to 1 formula worked just fine. We were constantly racing in Bays and point to point marathons, in very rough conditions. That meant that we were always using ballast tanks and shot bags to try and create perfect balance when airborne. My 15' Powercat/twin merc 1000's for instance had a tunnel tab and a ballast tank. We tended to kick *ss in rough water over the early flimsy Allisons and Checkmates (especially the earliest flat bottoms.....yes Checkmate made a flat bottom, the very first "Belcobalsa" hulls).

Later, when some of us (The more foolhardy) ventured into tunnels we kept the same mindset. My first Molinari hull (an ex Paris boat) had a bow ballast tank and I thought I had scored a real coup. Much to my chagrin, I quickly discovered I had a big disadvantage instead. A year later I was removing washers from bolts, drilling lightening holes, and measuring fuel with a shot glass.....just like everybody else.

This lack of weight emphasis carried over to the Shadow Cats where we had no concern with weight since we had both top speed and great rough water handling. Because everybody else built a boat that was at least as heavy or heavier, we had a free pass to victory lane without putting the boats on a diet.

A few years later a guy from Douglas, Michigan figured it out and the ultralight Skaters dominate to this day.

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 11-02-2007 at 08:02 AM.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... missed the whole point on the "lightweight" racing point of view.
    I know exactly what you're talking about. When we started with this stuff at Merc, we didn't know there was going to be a racing team. Didn't know that equipment was going to evolve so quickly that some stuff seemed almost obsolete before we got it rigged. Had no idea that the level of competition between the companys would reach a point that budgets seemed to be totally forgotten.

When we first started rigging these hulls, we did it with the idea of making them stronger so they would last longer. We added aluminum angle and flat plates to the transoms to beef them up. We used material to secure fuel tanks so that the boat would have to break in half before a tank could possibly strike a driver, and so on. Matter of fact, we would pull a tank out of something we were not using as long as it had the capacity we required. If it was twice the capacity we needed, it didn't matter because we weren't going to fill it anyway. Surely you remember the notched sticks for checking how much fuel was in a tank.....

Oh, that's a Billy Don Pruett memory..... He had someone back his trailer down the ramp and then signalled the driver to stop. He had his jacket and helmet on, but got back out of the cockpit and then reached into it and pulled out his fuel stick. I asked what he was doing and, somewhat irritated by the question, he said "well what the hell does it look like, I'm checking my fuel level". I said "Good, that means you won't be out there long". He looked at me kind of puzzled and then did that great laugh of his, shook his head as he was smiling and said "probably would have been smarter to check it when the boat was level huh?"

Anyway, as we started evolving into what would become the race team, things started to change. We knew we had to become much more sophisticated and becoming weight conscious was a natural step to take.

Just for grins, go back and read post #199 on this thread.....just when we thought we had a handle on rigging, here comes the Maestro .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molly Ballou.....

From Jackie Wilson's stuff I came across a great photo of Molly Ballou. Some of you guys were talking about this hydro on a different thread a few weeks back, I don't know if this photo helps that conversation or not.

Molly and her husband Ken had a Merc dealership in Hemet, Ca. They were obviously involved in drag racing out west. Tinker Collinge drove this Jones for them and I believe he set some twin engine records. Molly also set a record for a female driver in that class, going over 100 in the quarter mile.

She was affectionately referred to our Den Mother and was a great help when we attended races out west. She took care of a lot of different things for the Racing team, ranging from organizing the scorers for the Team boats to cooking some kind of game hen for our Thanksgiving dinner. She knew we put in some wicked hours before those races and often times would show up at our headquarters late in the evening just to see if she could get us something to eat. Sure hope we all told her how much we did appreciate her help.

I should add that while she was doing her thing, Ken was always working with us on something also. He would help set up the refueling equipment and help with the refueling during the race. If you needed something done, he was always willing to help.....didn't matter what it was. Just good people, I'm glad I got to know them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Molly Ballou.jpg  

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Over on BRF someone crossed paths with Molly a few weeks ago ... she's still kickin'

Page 16 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 66 ... LastLast