User Tag List

Page 15 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 65 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The twin McCall "BIGJOB" was just being finished in John's quonset hut shop when I last saw it. I was running a SE McCall tunnell with a Merc 500 at the time.John and I could get it to carry any weight so we agreed to trade it back to him for a v-bottom. The other boat in the shop that day was Paul Angel's SE kilo record flat bottom and I fell in love with lines of that boat. John agreed to build me a v-bottom version and that became the boat that I had the most success with during my racing carreer. Even though I never saw "BIGJOB" again I remembered it because the configuration of my all time favorite race boat was arrived at standing next to "BIGJOB". Today my desktop wallpaper is a picture of the boat John and I came up with that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File0082.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John's boats were more than raceboats,each one was a work of art. If you could find your old SE boat,I imagine you would pay anything to get it back. I am running down some strong leads on the SG boat he built for us in 1975,and recently found the SJ he built us in 1974(the 1974 Christmas card boat). Unfortunately one sponson is ripped off,the current owner wants to restore it but I'm afraid it is a near impossible project.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife lives in fear of me finding that boat in any condition. It would be worth the time and effort to restore it just to be able to make a few passes once in a while at least until I can't drive a kneeldown rig. I recently had the chance to make a couple of laps in an A stock flatbottom boat so I still remember how

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I never thought that style wise, DeSilva Wings looked that good either..... different, yes, but on the trailer........however, hauling arse (Jackie Wilson's word) on a straightaway, they looked like Miss America . We need to figure out what this thing really is.....

Now that we have a photo, do you remember the twin McCall?
    The Twin McCall was a kneel down and looked nothing like the hull in the picture.... It looked like a McCall.
    This new (to us) boat almost looks like the offspring of a wooden Switzer Wing and a wooden Switzer Shooting Star.

Maybe there was a wooden Dutchman?

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    The Twin McCall was a kneel down and looked nothing like the hull in the picture.... It looked like a McCall.
    This new (to us) boat almost looks like the offspring of a wooden Switzer Wing and a wooden Switzer Shooting Star.....Maybe there was a wooden Dutchman?.....T2x
    So the twin McCall/Molinari BigJob, never did run at Smith Mountain Lake.....a kneel down version only.

So far, I don't have a better thought than the infamous wooden Dutchman.....maybe Old fiberglass can come up with a picture of it from Jan .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the twin McCall/Molinari BigJob, never did run at Smith Mountain Lake.....a kneel down version only.[/B]
    I remember seeing a twin McCall at Smith Mountain Lake, but it was kneeldown. I want to say Steve Stepp drove it for Bob Thompson...but I could very well be mistaken in that old memory cell.

T2x
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Lanham's Closet.....

Gene sent a shot of the "calm before the storm".....in this case it's him and Dick Williams, at the start of what he calls "the loudest and smokiest sporting event in history" - Havasu 1969.The second shot is of those two guys all loaded up and ready to start the trek to Havasu.

To me, that was always an exciting time.....the beginning of the trip to a race. A whole bunch of planning and time mixed with major effort and concern by a large number of dedicated people had resulted in that special moment. I would look into our lot and everything I saw was sparkling clean and ready to run. There were Mercury trucks sitting side by side, each with some type of really cool or exotic racing machine strapped behind.....the guys comparing travel plans, everyone smiling. We had worked hard and were about to enjoy a few days on the road..... just looking at the country. We had great expectations that the results of our labor would again make us very proud to be involved in this exciting and educational experience.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 Havasu start Lanham.jpg   Lanham & Williams Havasu 69.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kneeldown twin McCall was built for Bob Thompson. I recall seeing it run a couple of times both with Mercury and OMC power. John blew that boat over in Tavares, FL trying to sort out a complaint from Thompson about it's performance. I never knew what became of the "BIGJOB" boat after I saw it in the shop. I had the impression that Jeff was going to run the boat and it looks like that was correct. The name "BIGJOB" would indicate Titus was the principle driver since all of Jeff's single engine I&J class boats were named "ODDJOB". I also got the impression that the "BIGJOB" was commision built and not a John McCall design.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are few photos of the Del Craft SJJ boat. I need photos of when Greg Horn had two motors on it.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more photos.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery boat

Growing up here in the Southeast I got to see an old famous boat that dominated OPC racing in these parts. It was named the "Wild Geechee" It was built by a cabinet builder. I have heard that this boat was a modified copy of a McCall and the performance of it improved after it was "pickleforked". Earl Bentz raced this boat as did Danny Pigott. This boat is now restored and is kept in storage in S.C. complete with one of D.F. Jenks engines on it.

A larger boat of the same basic design was built for twin engines and taken to the Havasu race around this same time, 69-70, I think. Since many of you who are contributing to this thread were there (at Havasu) do you remember the boat I am talking about? Not sure who drove it, I have heard Bucky Morris drove it.

Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    Growing up here in the Southeast I got to see an old famous boat that dominated OPC racing in these parts. It was named the "Wild Geechee" It was built by a cabinet builder. I have heard that this boat was a modified copy of a McCall and the performance of it improved after it was "pickleforked". Earl Bentz raced this boat as did Danny Pigott. This boat is now restored and is kept in storage in S.C. complete with one of D.F. Jenks engines on it.

A larger boat of the same basic design was built for twin engines and taken to the Havasu race around this same time, 69-70, I think. Since many of you who are contributing to this thread were there (at Havasu) do you remember the boat I am talking about? Not sure who drove it, I have heard Bucky Morris drove it.

Mark
    I remember Bucky Morris driving the single engine Wild Geechees, (I always thought there were two of them). I also remember the twin engine, I don't think it did very well. Shortly after that Bucky Morris was in a Molinari/single.

T2x
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery boat....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    ...famous boat that dominated OPC racing in these parts. It was named the "Wild Geechee" ...
    A larger boat of the same basic design was built for twin engines and taken to the Havasu race around this same time, 69-70, I think.
    I have a vague recollection of the twin Geechee being at Havasu, but don't recall what it looked like. It would have run OMC power back then.....the mystery boat shown in post #213 has Merc's. I also think that there were two single engine Geechee's, one driven by Earl Bentz and one driven by Bucky. It could be that they co-drove one boat at Havasu, but that sure seems like a lot of talent to be sitting on the beach for half of the race.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a vague recollection of the twin Geechee being at Havasu, but don't recall what it looked like. It would have run OMC power back then.....the mystery boat shown in post #213 has Merc's. I also think that there were two single engine Geechee's, one driven by Earl Bentz and one driven by Bucky. It could be that they co-drove one boat at Havasu, but that sure seems like a lot of talent to be sitting on the beach for half of the race.
    Yeah ...but that was before Earl Bentz was....... EARL BENTZ.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Yeah ...but that was before Earl Bentz was....... EARL BENTZ.
    .....True, but I'm pretty sure it was his drive in a single OMC Geechee at Havasu that got Merc's attention.

Page 15 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 65 ... LastLast