User Tag List

Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 60 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 engine Wing

here is a color shot.. Same boat..
    Driver reported to be Ed Stewart out of California. Havasu 1970.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Switzer70.jpeg  
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/JBowman/JBowman.html

A Member in good standing of Dicksmarine, Mesa AZ. "The Land of Misfit Toys"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OPC Nationals, Miami - 1972.......

Not a very good picture, but here is Reggie Fountain going past Billy Don Pruett on his way to winning the UU class at the Nationals. Fountain took three titles that day, U class in a Team Molinari, UU and T in his 21' Glastron/ Molinari. This was his 2nd race in a team supported boat, and these results put him on his way towards achieving his goal of becoming a full-fledged Team driver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB72&73 031.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reggie Fountain.......

Found an article in Powerboat, January, 1973. It is such a "glowing" report on Reggie's early success that it makes you think that he might have been the author .

It says that he "set the boat racing world on it's ear in 1972, his second year of competition." It talks about the three national titles he had just won in Miami and his win in the T Class in the 3 hour marathon in Washington. N.C. the next weekend. He set three world speed marks with those four wins. It says that he began racing in 1971 with a new 21' Glastron/Molinari and won 15 of 16 races that year....his only second place finish being at the Outboard World Championships in Havasu, where he was named Rookie Driver of the Year.

Claims he was named to the Mercury driving team August 22nd. Says he is 32 years old, a member of the Million Dollar Round Table, combines real estate brokerage and a life insurance business with his law practice and races only on weekends.

This is the photo that accompanied the article......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB72&73 036.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 03-02-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    Reggie Fountain.......

Found an article in Powerboat, January, 1973. It is such a "glowing" report on Reggie's early success that it makes you think that he might have been the author .

It says that he "set the boat racing world on it's ear in 1972, his second year of competition." It talks about the three national titles he had just won in Miami and his win in the T Class in the 3 hour marathon in Washington. N.C. the next weekend. He set three world speed marks with those four wins. It says that he began racing in 1971 with a new 21' Glastron/Molinari and won 15 of 16 races that year....his only second place finish being at the Outboard World Championships in Havasu, where he was named Rookie Driver of the Year.

Claims he was named to the Mercury driving team August 22nd. Says he is 32 years old, a member of the Million Dollar Round Table, combines real estate brokerage and a life insurance business with his law practice and races only on weekends.

This is the photo that accompanied the article......
    Did it also mention that he is very shy ....humble......and kind to old ladies?

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reggie was successfull because he had 3 things going for him. 1 A lot of nerve both on and off the race course 2 A certain amount of talent(some of which is overshadowed by item 1) and 3 Plenty of start up money. While I am not his biggest fan there were far worse drivers than Reggie getting factory rides back then.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70
    Reggie was successfull because he had 3 things going for him. 1 A lot of nerve both on and off the race course 2 A certain amount of talent(some of which is overshadowed by item 1) and 3 Plenty of start up money. While I am not his biggest fan there were far worse drivers than Reggie getting factory rides back then.

Well put........ The thing that annoyed me the most about him was that he could, indeed, drive at a pretty good level. It would have been much more entertaining if he couldn't. Generally, people with his kind of "personality" are much more talk than action. While Juan Fangio, Fireball Roberts, Dan Gurney, Bill Seebold, and Dave Villwock combined couldn't have backed up Reggie's "self assessment". He was, at the very least, a fine driver.

On the other hand...... without item's 3 and 1 above (in that order)....... we would not be writing this today....... IMHO.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think some of you guys with the stackers should get ahold of the great lakes boat club & set up a nostaliga run on laborday weekend during the opc natonials. there are a lot of guys racing who never seen one let alone heard one. they just might be able to get a permit. just a thought
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I Had A Chance To Talk With Kenny This Weekend In Florida And Actually Put My Hands On Miss Diablo 3.....how Nice To See It All In Person !
    SEEBOLD CHAMPBOAT MERCURY S3000

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya its pretty neat. after we got done working on her we took her to the river for a test run. lynn simburger driving & me with a radar gun in the pickup boat we saw 94mph. i was hopping for 100mph. but 94 without setup changeing and no prop selection i guess that pretty good. bob has a nice piece there & im glad he shares & shows it like he does. thanks bob & kenny.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike farmer
    i think some of you guys with the stackers should get ahold of the great lakes boat club & set up a nostaliga run on laborday weekend during the opc natonials. there are a lot of guys racing who never seen one let alone heard one. they just might be able to get a permit. just a thought
    Or

Just show up at the Antique Raceboat Regatta at Clayton, NY this summer ... noise is encouraged; no permit required, no questions asked

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    champboat schedule's st louis on that weekend. or clayton falls on st louis weekend however ya put it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any body got a pic of Dangerous Don P. and the Canadian setting their altitude records in their Molys?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havasu, 1970...............

Merc asked Glastron to build a light 21" Glastron/Molinari for this race. It was driven by Bill Petty and Tinker Collinge. The boat ran well, probably better than any of the regular 21'ers they produced, but not well enough to make them want to continue with the glass boat project. Design changes from Renato Molinari and Ron Jones for the increasing horsepower was the route they chose to take.

I recall Petty coming in for the scheduled fuel and driver change at the two hour mark on Saturday. When we finished fueling, Tinker was still messing with his helmet or something. Petty looked at me, smiled and lit the fire on those two stackers. He ran all four hours on Saturday, so Garbrecht decided that Tinker should get all four on Sunday. Fun stuff .....you wait all year to race at the Outboard Championships and when your turn to drive comes you are not quite ready!!!! That's when you find out that your co-driver didn't want to share his ride with you anyway .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails miscellaneous 005.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-11-2006 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    Merc asked Glastron to build a light 21" Glastron/Molinari for this race. It was driven by Bill Petty and Tinker Collinge. The boat ran well, probably better than any of the regular 21'ers they produced, but not well enough to make them want to continue with the glass boat project. Design changes from Renato Molinari and Ron Jones for the increasing horsepower was the route they chose to take.

I recall Petty coming in for the scheduled fuel and driver change at the two hour mark on Saturday. When we finished fueling, Tinker was still messing with his helmet or something. Petty looked at me, smiled and lit the fire on those two stackers. He ran all four hours on Saturday, so Garbrecht decided that Tinker should get all four on Sunday. Fun stuff .....you wait all year to race at the Outboard Championships and when your turn to drive comes you are not quite ready!!!! That's when you find out that your co-driver didn't want to share his ride with you anyway .
    When was this image taken?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall John McCall building a twin engine " Molinari" looking boat back in about 1969. I got the idea that it was ordered by the "Factory" and Jeff Titus was to be one of the drivers. Never saw it run or heard of it after that. What was the story on that boat?

Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 60 ... LastLast