User Tag List

Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 59 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner
    Mike also ran some GN races..I think he was at the Galveston destruction marathon...he always had some good rides.
    Butch: Galveston Destruction Derby (1969?). I think that was a two day event with separate races for single outboards, multi outboards, and GN boats. Some things that comes to mind, Merten's "Wet and Wild"; Bill Sirois in Mike Gordon's "Fish Peddler", a Big Block Mercruiser powered GN blew everyone away till the battery died ('Thunderbolt'. No twelve volt, no sparks): (Willabee, wasn't that the race the triple Jones were using the 'improved' carburetors?); Bill Cooper in the twin Jones made the rest of us multi outboards look like we were running in the wrong class.

Mike Reagan also ran OMC outboards Offshore, 1984 Miami to New York challenge against Doc, neither boat ran more than 200 miles, including idling back to Miami (long, long night).
    Gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM
    (Willabee, wasn't that the race the triple Jones were using the 'improved' carburetors?); Bill Cooper in the twin Jones made the rest of us multi outboards look like we were running in the wrong class.

Yes, 69 was the year .....I think those carbs were on all of the boats we brought from Oshkosh, but we didn't install them on any of the rigs that we met at the race site. They were designed to prevent stall-out on the tight turning tunnels, so we would not have put them on a Wing and when we saw the sweeping turns at Galveston, decided that they were not necessary for that race.

Cooper did win, but that race should have been between Joe Habay in the triple Jones and Jim Merten's 18' Wing. I set the Jones up for Galveston and had driven the Wing, so I knew they both had an easy 10 mph on Cooper's twin for those long straightaways and would not have lost much in those turns. Habay tried to complete his 250 miles testing before the race and, I think, failed a gearcase during the event and Merten had that horrible accident . Note: That same triple Jones did win that race the next year with Merten doing the driving and I believe the twin Jones was back, this time with stackers and Bill Petty behind the wheel.

Here's Merten's Wet and Wild at Parker and Cooper's twin Jones......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wet_and_Wild%5B1%5D[1].r.jpg   PB68&69 026.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 02-14-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willabee,

Is Bill Petty still living? Do you ever talk to him? I knew he had several companies in the Wapokenata, OH area (home town of Neil Armstrong). I remember he used to have a private jet based at the local airport.

SCT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gene

I don't remember the tunnel boat that year..The first few boats were pretty close. Bobby and I were third overall for about an hour, when the steering cable snapped. Wallace was first,who can ever remember second but second..I just remember about five boats flipping in a 15 minute time period, running out of ambulances, and I think the last driver died. They took him off in a van, beating on his chest. A poorly run event..

Butch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galveston '69

[quote=willabee]Yes, 69 was the year .....I think those carbs were on all of the boats we brought from Oshkosh,

Willabee: 'improved': I was thinking maybe of the pressure/floatless Tillotsons-------didn't Sirois test/race a triple Jones in addition to driving the GN boat on Sunday? Golly, only been 36+ years----

Gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sirois

I'm pretty sure Bill ran a Jones..I was talking to him before the race..don't remember how many engines, but I think it was a triple, like Coopers..he was all smiles..It was the first time I had seen the latest Mercs since 63..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCT
    Willabee,

Is Bill Petty still living? Do you ever talk to him? I knew he had several companies in the Wapokenata, OH area (home town of Neil Armstrong). I remember he used to have a private jet based at the local airport.

SCT
    I sure think so, but I haven't talked to him for quite some time. Last time we spoke, he told me that the twin Jones that he ran for a few years ( the same one that Cooper raced ) was lost in a fire. Mercury had given him that boat after they stopped supporting multi engine racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM
    Willabee: 'improved': I was thinking maybe of the pressure/floatless Tillotsons-------didn't Sirois test/race a triple Jones in addition to driving the GN boat on Sunday? Golly, only been 36+ years----

Gene
    Gene, you're making me look pretty bad here.....I don't remember the carbs you're describing and I don't remember Sirois in a Jones . We only had two triples at that time, the blue trimmed one that Habay drove and a yellow trim that Pruett drove. I also don't remember Pruett at that race, so it's possible that Sirois ran his boat. However, if I had to bet, my money would be on Sirois in the 21' Molinari that he ran at Havasu that year and again in 1970. Like you said, it's only been 36 years .

Hey, I just remembered something from that race !!!!! Patty Duke was in town filming a movie and staying at the same hotel we were at and I got to dance a slow number with her .

Sirois finishing 3rd at Havasu in 1969......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Boat Mag 011.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 02-14-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galveston '69

Willabee:

Maybe it was Sirois helping Joe 'test' the triple. I do remember a big problem with a new carb, I think the guy from Tillotson was there.

I'm old enough to remember Patty Duke. I'm impressed!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene "throttleman" Lanham......

Found this shot in the January, 1973 Powerboat......Pictured, left to right, are Gene, Carl Kiekhaefer, Richie Powers, Carlo Bonomi and Bob Magoon. Gene was co-driver with Magoon when they won the 1972 Miami-Nassau Race. Back in the day, the only guys that received any ink were the "drivers of record", some of which never really drove. Here Gene has a full head of black hair......I wonder, is it all gray now or just all gone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB72&73 042.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 02-21-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commodore's Regatta - 2 hour in Miami Marine stadium - 1972....

Here's a shot of Paul Felsch driving his 21' Glastron Molinari Tweety Bird to first overall.....Gary Peacock led this event with a single Molinari / TI when he threw a prop blade and blew the engine just before the finish......Lanham must have been Offshore racing that day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB72&73 024.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 02-22-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see a picture of Paul in here. He was one of the mainstays of twin engine racing in South Florida back in the day. I think he had a auto body shop in Naples. I know his boats usually looked good and he could tear one up and get it fixed up pretty quick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    Gene "throttleman" Lanham......

Found this shot in the January, 1973 Powerboat......Pictured, left to right, are Gene, Carl Kiekhaefer, Richie Powers, Carlo Bonomi and Bob Magoon. Gene was co-driver with Magoon when they won the 1972 Miami-Nassau Race. Back in the day, the only guys that received any ink were the "drivers of record", some of which never really drove.
    Here Gene has a full head of black hair......I wonder, is it all gray now or just all gone
    Willabee:
    I still have most of it, and gray is supposed to be distinguished??? I see Doc Magoon often, and he is always wearing a hat-----
    Gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More boats

Some pictures from that era.

Miami Race 1969??

Bill Petty--Jones twin----Ernie Threkeld--Switzer wing

Kenny Kitson---Switzer wing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture of the only other 20' Switzer wing known to have been run with triples. Don't think the two wings ever met on the race course... would have been interesting. I think this picture was taken around 1970~1971 at Havasu. In a speed kilo run it was reported to have been clocked at 123.~ MPH running twins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T119-RacingTriples-a.jpg  

Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 59 ... LastLast