User Tag List

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Directions

Harlan,
    I gave the incorrect name of the bookstore that is hosting the book signing. I originally said it was "Motorbooks", but, the correct name of the store in Burbank, is "Autobooks/Aerobooks".
    If you Google that name, you will get their website, and, if you click on the words "contact info", you will find their phone number, address, and a Mapquest map of the local area. You can get street by street directions by going to Mapquest yourself, and typing in the address you are starting from, and the store's address. Mapquest will give you a directions map that you can then print out. See you there! Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Book Signing

Thanx!!! See You There
    Harlan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autobooks is an excellant place. I visited them when I came out foe the Roadster Show last year and couldn't pull myself away without buying a bunch of great books. I should have had them shipped, but ended up luggin them home on the plane. You guys on the left coast have it all, right down to great book storesthat have events!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got my stevens t-shirt in the mail yesterday very BA!
    allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mack & Mary Stevens

I came across your thread while searching for Mack and Mary Stevens. My mother worked for them as their office manager the entire time they were in business in Gardena, CA. I have so many fond memories of running around the boat building shop and checking out the beautiful paint jobs on the boats. I specifically remember a lot of the boats having the beautiful metal flake paint jobs that was popular in the 60's.

When Stevens Boats closed down, Mack & Mary retired to Lake Havasu City, AZ. As my mom aged, she lost touch with the Stevens family. I am now living in Lake Havsu and was trying to find out if they were still alive. After putting their names in google, there is a reunion site that says that they live in Kingman, AZ. Mack is 90 and Mary is 85yrs old. I may try to contact them.
    Last edited by monsoonlady; 09-27-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: new info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    monsoonlady, that is a cool story...good luck with your search and be sure to let us know how you make out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monsoonlady,
    I loved your private e-mail, and, absolutely, the sixties meant wood decks and metalflake and beautiful paint jobs.
    Many times, I find someone who has taken a sixties inboard, and "modernized' it. Some are done nice, some aren't, but to each their own................................
    My feelings are that "modernizing" a sixties hot inboard is like putting a mini-skirt on grandma,..........it just doesn't seem to have the "class" it once had.
    As I wrote to you, if you can make inroads towards contacting Mack and Mary, I would be so appreciative. We could finally get the website flying!
    Best of everything, Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Stevens repair

Hello all,I have owned and enjoyed my Stevens since 1978,and soon will begin the project of replacing the stringers.Through the years I have replaced the interior twice,painted the hull once (imron 1982), reworked the motor,wiring,steering cables,V-drive and trailer once. The boat was used for skiing,exploring,star gazing and an occasional blast at speed.Three years ago I loaned it to a friend and yea,it came home broken.While cleaning up the boat I discovered the fiberglass that surrounds the stringers was cracked,compressed,buckled,just ahead of the forward engine mounting plate on one stringer,and just ahead of the V-drive mount on the other stringer,as though the hull "hindged"at these points. I believe the wood rotted where the bolt holes for the mounts are,and with years of flexing and a weekend of disrespect the inevitable occurred.So here I am,I have 25+years of collision/frame repair,basic fiberglass skills,and a shop.I can read,and I prefer to have a source(book) of current techniques and materials before I attempt the repair.Does "The Book" exist? About the boat:17'2",396 chevy,casalle V-drive,Hall Craft/Nicson steering,Edelbrock wet log exhaust manifolds,Edelbrock motor mount plates,Jabsco water pump.I don't know the year or model of the hull but as memory serves the original color was gold metalflake with white border,swooping stripes that turned down at the rear,Vance trailer.All input is welcome,Thanks...Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racered View Post
    Hello all,I have owned and enjoyed my Stevens since 1978,and soon will begin the project of replacing the stringers.Through the years I have replaced the interior twice,painted the hull once (imron 1982), reworked the motor,wiring,steering cables,V-drive and trailer once. The boat was used for skiing,exploring,star gazing and an occasional blast at speed.Three years ago I loaned it to a friend and yea,it came home broken.While cleaning up the boat I discovered the fiberglass that surrounds the stringers was cracked,compressed,buckled,just ahead of the forward engine mounting plate on one stringer,and just ahead of the V-drive mount on the other stringer,as though the hull "hindged"at these points. I believe the wood rotted where the bolt holes for the mounts are,and with years of flexing and a weekend of disrespect the inevitable occurred.So here I am,I have 25+years of collision/frame repair,basic fiberglass skills,and a shop.I can read,and I prefer to have a source(book) of current techniques and materials before I attempt the repair.Does "The Book" exist? About the boat:17'2",396 chevy,casalle V-drive,Hall Craft/Nicson steering,Edelbrock wet log exhaust manifolds,Edelbrock motor mount plates,Jabsco water pump.I don't know the year or model of the hull but as memory serves the original color was gold metalflake with white border,swooping stripes that turned down at the rear,Vance trailer.All input is welcome,Thanks...Paul
    Hey Paul,
    Let me be the first to welcome you. It sounds like a cool boat you have there and a big project coming up. If anyone can help you, it's the guys on here with all their experience.
    Now get some pictures of that Stevens up here for us!
    Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,Thanks Kieth. I'm about to pull the motor and interior components to get started. I will have to scan old pics or purchase a digital cam for "new pics" to post,with assistance from one of my children.I have tried posting a pic before w/o success,could be a dialup issue.I want to correct how I described the color scheme of the hull,I think it was gold metalflake base with white stripes on the deck and sides.The boat was painted red when I bought it in 1978.I stripped it in 1982 and repainted it red.I used Corlar epoxy primer and Imron topcoat,new products at the time.The color is just now showing age,adhesion is still strong.I am thinking of using the original stripe pattern for the next finish.Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,Thanks Kieth. I'm about to pull the motor and interior components to get started. I will have to scan old pics or purchase a digital cam for "new pics" to post,with assistance from one of my children.I have tried posting a pic before w/o success,could be a dialup issue.I want to correct how I described the color scheme of the hull,I think it was gold metalflake base with white stripes on the deck and sides.The boat was painted red when I bought it in 1978.I stripped it in 1982 and repainted it red.I used Corlar epoxy primer and Imron topcoat,new products at the time.The color is just now showing age,adhesion is still strong.I am thinking of using the original stripe pattern for the next finish.Paul
    Hey Paul, There's a couple of things you'll need to do right away...buy that digital camera and get yourself a decent internet cable hook-up. Your going to need it to capture all of your project and share the progress with us!
    Good luck and have fun with it, but get some pics up here!!
    Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fibreglass work help

Racered,
    Here's a few leads to help out with your project with those delaminating stringers:
    There's a company called "Sher-Fab Unlimited Inc.", here in California, in Norwalk. Ph: 562-921-5206 Fax:562-926-5658
    E-mail address: sfu@sherfab.com Website: www.sherfab.com
    They are a supplier of fibreglass materials and supplies. Their website advertises helpfull hints, and they say they can find whatever you're looking for, they may be able to answere your questions, or point you towards someone who can.

Next, there's Fibreglass Repairs Unlimited Inc., in Clovis, California. Phone:559-299-8826 These guys do everything, i'm told, and can possibly be of help too.

Now, I'm also friends with Harlan Orrin, who has done it all, from designing many boat manufacturer's molds, to building complete boats, to building wonderfull wood decks, and on and on. His number is 760-723-0767

Also, there's Custom Boat Restorations, by John Miller
    Wood and fibreglass repair, wood decks, complete restorations
    Ph: 805-431-2234 www.johnmillerboats.com
    And,
    Miller Custom Boats
    Jim Miller Ph:805-934-3938 again, they can do it all...
    I don't know if there's a "book", per se, on stringer repair, (maybe sher-fab), but there's some knowlegeable information here.

Hope this helps, Spike
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 10-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Target designs

Racered,
    I've posted this elsewhere before, but here are the Stevens "factory" target designs, if you're interested in what your factory stripe is supposed to look like. Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 020.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 021.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 009.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Spike,I will check out the sources for info and materials,the factory pictures will help also.I will take pictures tomorrow but this is what I have found so far,with one stringer removed,cut off at the bottom, there is a layer of plywood that is visable in the channel where the stringer was.The layer of glass above the ply has lifted slightly from the ply.It looks like I will remove the layer above the ply,approx 5"wide on each side of the stringer,the length of the stringer.I don't know if this layer is original or if new stringers were glassed in before.I dont believe the surface of the floor is original,it does not look it! My next question is how far the stringer extends past the forward bulkhead? There is expanded foam up there,I would think the stringer would stop just past the bulkhead...I cut the old one a foot or so before the bulkhead,pictures soon!!Thanks Guys!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...pictures soon!!Thanks Guys!
    Come on, Paul...we're still waiting for before pictures, now we're waiting for progress pics!!

Good luck with the project!

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast