User Tag List

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an aside,
    the changing of intake and export configuration was first done in the early mid 60s for competition use and a multi carb outside mounted with headers (primaries) rising out and back from the valley.
    Rear engine cart racing I believe, the famous name that brought us this has slipped my mind, anyone remember who that was?
    I have a story in an old magazine somewhere, the advantages were detailed with improved intake and ex tracks.
    Maybe Crower, or Thompson??
    Last edited by FMP; 08-11-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember just where or when I saw this, but I seem to remember this concept being adapted to the Flathead Ford.....maybe a Bonneville car. Like the nailhead, the idea of pressurizing the weak exhaust side and blowing out the intake port had some merit. More important, to me at least, is not whether or not that Buick is the fastest thing around, but major kudos to (1)the independent thinking "not like yours" attitude, (2)sincere effort applied to doing it, and (3)the beautiful execution of the whole package. AND.....I'm told it runs pretty good! Hence the saying...." to stand out, you've got to do something outstanding".

3. Thanks pancho thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ….About my own, ever-ongoing, taking way too long , ski boat restoration......You all know the 10"center section of the floor inside, that everyone either paints or tones the clear coat black? I don't want the black center look. I don't want the black stringers look either. I want to see the wood stringers and floor just like when the boat was originally done ( 1965 ), but I sketched up a different center section design that has ghost Hibiscus flowers airbrushed here and there, going full length toeboard to transom, ( even though you'd mostly only see it from the front seat forward being as the boat has full back-to-back seating, and the engine covers a lot of floor), but some will show between the engine and the transom too. My sign painter is working up the final, and that design will be subtley airbrushed onto the floor center prior to final clear coat. My ski boat project has a Hawaiian name, so this will tie in to it all. No one is really doing this that I've seen. I think this is gonna look so custom, the artwork so far knocks me out. I'll post up the artwork when the artist gets it back to me.
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 08-16-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old post , but a member on another forum posted this thread about an old Stevens he bought for the engine and wondered about getting rid of the boat. Supposed to be hull #1

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-12713416

Quote Originally Posted by spikeike View Post
    Awesome to see old pics of wood Stevens flatties. My dad bought this 58 Stevens (Hull #162) in 1967 from a machinist in LA who I believe rigged the boat. It was originally named The Cat's Meow and painted white with a blue stripe similar to what it's like now. The boat was our family ski boat and was in regular use through the mid 80's when keel rot assigned it to my garage. (I had become the caretaker of "the boat") After sitting there for about 10 years my brother in law completely restored it and replaced the original Hall Craft parallel V-drive with a Casale and the fixed plate with an adjustable. It has always had the 364 Nailhead Buick with three twos on an Offy manifold. It runs 13% over gears and is good for an honest 50 mph, which is plenty for this hull. It's hard to find anyone who knows much about early Stevens wood flatties and even harder to find one still alive and working. If anyone out there has one I would sure like to know about it. Looking forward to hearing from anyone that may know where any old bones are buriedAttachment 280853Attachment 280855Attachment 280853Attachment 280854Attachment 280855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I WAS contacted by the owner of that supposed #00001 Stevens with the wood deck eaten away. The new owner seemed to be a nice guy. Yes, I have enough projects, and not enough money and time certainly to tackle another boat. Again, we find a boat left to have time and Mother Nature wreak havoc on someone's once upon a time pride and joy. It's kinda exciting and sickening to discover, but majorly expensive to bring back. Of course, with any restoration, keeping the original driveline intact is partly the soul of an old boat. But, that's what happens all too often...….If I had a dollar for every time someone harvested a hard to get engine from a hot inboard, I could retire comfortably.
    Another thought....If this hull truly represents Mack's first fiberglass bottomed hull, ( Mack started out building all wood hulls), and thereby some historical lineage and provenance is there, and it's theoretical value......wouldn't it's value be more substantial if the original hardware, meaning engine, were all intact? My perception anyway.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, good. I had read your old post and figured I'd let you know. Thought maybe someone could use the hardware if nothing else. I wondered if that was a wood model that someone glassed over along the years like so many wood boats had done to them. The transom looked kinda like wood to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update, sort of. Of the known, registered Stevens hulls that I have on my database, the oldest hull ( in my records so far ) is identified as #2, and is an all-wood 1957 hull with an Olds J-2. If the boat in question is #1, it should have a bill of sale 1957 or earlier. I have an ad from a 1959 Hot Rod Magazine, In this ad, Mack Stevens is advertising plans for Stevens boat kits, so a Stevens built boat from then would be all wood, and some would then also be built as a kit by the owner, so we're bound to see some differences in build on these older wood hulls. I'm not absolutely sure of when the company started to offer fiberglass hulls. The earliest fiberglass hull that I have recorded is a '62. I don't have every hull there ever was in my records, so I can't be positive on when the switch to fiberglass took place, as far as hull numbering is concerned.The Cadillac engine looks to be a '55 to '63 short bellhousing, which would fit the era as an original powerplant. It's my guess that the trailer may not be original to it, or may have been modified, because of what appears to be trailer brakes, tandem axles, padded step plates, and because removeable tail light bars were common in the early years and I don't see one being used. All "high-zoot" for a 1957.
    If the current owner still has it, I should go look at it, at very least. If it turns out that it is what the owner suggests, I could at least document it. I'd love to have it, if it's something of Historical value, but I can't save 'em all......not sure my marriage would survive another boat project!
    Here's an early wood Stevens ...….and anotherClick image for larger version. 

Name:	59 Stevens with 390 Cad in 1965 Bob Lambert.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	417264
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Ike - 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 09-03-2018 at 05:48 PM.

9. Thanks upspirate thanked for this post
    Likes upspirate liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my records...….a 1957 Stevens, Hull #2, Olds J-2 powered, named "Budget Buster".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Budget Buster on trailer.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	417325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Budget Buster B&W.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	417327

11. Likes upspirate liked this post
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24