User Tag List

Page 6 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 56 106 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what a Scorpion is.....do you have a photo, where were they built, when did they race, who built them, did they win anything, etc.?

Did Sirois/Janish also make a glass Zonker/Miles ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2us70
    I think that the Scorpions were also based on the Milesmaster boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    S-36 - Art Kennedy,Jr. ( here's your picture Specboatops ) - 18' Molinari "rocker bottom" powered by one of the four 1350 powerheads running their 1st race at Havasu in 1968....he finished 6th overall and 3rd single. Those 4 boats were the last of the "good" 18'ers that came over from Italy. They were replaced by the 17' sprints and marathons

Thank you, Didn't Art later start driving for OMC ? seems I remember him at races with the white motor on the back. There use to be a guy who raced #13 do you remember who he was, I have a couple of pics of his old race boat think it was a seebold hull.....maybe not anyway he ran a 1500xs and had a very nice lookin boat.
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    I looked for a shot of Art Kennedy, but so far no luck. The closest I could come is a couple of the type boat he made his reputation in .....a GW ( George Wolridge ) Invader with a 1000 BP. In my opinion, nobody made that boat run the way he did!

These are from a Merc photo shoot to advertise the 1000 BP. In the 1st one, I was told to run on plane tight to the camera so they could get a clean shot of the engine ( I did and it came out pretty dorky, but I think they used it ) - the 2nd one is close to how the boat should look, but not enough engine for advertising use. The things that Art could make that boat do were just amazing. It was an absolute delight to watch him perform
    I own a 15 ft G.W. Invader ..how cool This thread is great ...thank you
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for Lou Eppel

Art did drive Mod U and OZ boats for Lou Eppel and were Johnson powered, beginning in the late 1970s into the early 80s, then was driving Merc powered boats again after that.

Great driver and always fun to watch.

JWTjr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome.........Yes, he did drive for OMC. The race pictured is 1968, I'm pretty sure it was his first tunnel drive. He received factory help from Merc during his GW Invader days and then moved into this factory boat at Havasu. He may have run a few more races for Merc and then something happened. I really don't recall what it was, but I kind of remember a sort of falling out between him and Garbrecht ( I could be wrong about that ). I think he tried to run on his own for a year or two and then OMC picked him up. He may have started for them in 1970, but for sure was driving for them in 1971. When he ran over Renato Molinari at Long Beach in 71, he was definately OMC factory powered.....I doubt that Art would have run like that with Renato if he had been in a Merc factory boat ( they banged sides for at least two laps before the accident ).

The #13 isn't ringing any bells at the moment, if it comes to me I'll holler back at you.

[QUOTE=specboatops]
    Thank you, Didn't Art later start driving for OMC ? seems I remember him at races with the white motor on the back. There use to be a guy who raced #13 do you remember who he was,[QUOTE]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scorpoins were the boats Doug Perl ran in SJ. I think they built them just for Doug since I don't ever recall anyone else running one. I am pretty sure Albert Ensweiler had something to do with the final design but I think they started with a Milesmaster and kept changing things until they got the result they wanted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scorpions

Okay, now I remember them......Homer Green may have run one also, he and Pearl were very successful with their boats. However, I would have guessed that they were both running before the Milesmaster came over.

Quote Originally Posted by 2us70
    Scorpoins were the boats Doug Perl ran in SJ. I think they built them just for Doug since I don't ever recall anyone else running one. I am pretty sure Albert Ensweiler had something to do with the final design but I think they started with a Milesmaster and kept changing things until they got the result they wanted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer and Doug were the only two that I can remember. I think Pearl owned the molds. This was a little before my time but I do remember that they were ugly and fast Didn't Ensweiler work for Pearl?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Albert worked several places and may have worked at UniWeld at one time.I believe Albert never ran a boat that he didn't take a saw to. Every boat he had kept getting smaller every few months. He cut down everything from a flatbottom Mitchell to a big twin engine Glasspar Vbottom,that one at least twice. He also cut down and redecked a Magnum Missile into twin engine kneeldown rig with 1250 Speedmasters on it. He blew it over in the Miami Marine Stadium big time and got hurt kind of bad and I don't remember him driving after that. I think he suffered some lingering effects from that one and he basicly coundn't race anymore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought those two boats were of wood construction ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn
    I think Pearl owned the molds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glass bottoms with wood decks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paris 6 Hour - 1971

The orders come down to start preparing for Paris. We are going to run six boats again, four new 17' Molinari's that are waiting to be rigged at Renato's shop along with the Molinari Bob Spalding had been running and a 20' hull that Renato had built to run with a pair of Twisters in special event races in Europe. I think the driver pairings were Renato/Hering, Downard/Pellolio, Seebold/Rasini, Stickle/Sirois, Spalding/Percival and Pruett/Petty in the big boat. The confidence level was still not that high for the C6, so the plan was to run two of them ( Renato and Pruett ) and run TI's on the others.

Paris is always a rough water race because you have 80/90 boats which include V bottoms, solid seawalls and barge traffic after the first hour of the race. With that thought in mind, it was decided to set the four TI boats up differently.....propshafts were run at levels between 1/4" to 5/8" below the sponsons to try to maintain a good bite all around the course. The thinking on the big boat was to give it the C6 and set it up as fast as that engine could push it and maybe it's size would make it competitive in that water. Of course Renato was allowed to set his up any way that he wanted to and he took the "as fast as it will go" route. When we left for Paris, the four new boats peaked out between 85 and 90 mph, the big boat might have hit 85 and Renato was flying.

Renato and Hering did all of their testing with a C6 that had been sent over for him to play with while coming up with his design for the new boats. As it got closer to race time, I suggested that we install his new C6 and make a few passes. He informed me that he was going to run the one he had been testing with. I gave him all of my reasons why that was a bad idea, he didn't want to hear it. I asked Hering to convince him otherwise, he declined. Garbrecht said that it was up to the drivers. Disgusted, I told Renato that if that powerhead failed, I was going to tell him in front of God and the whole world that he was a dumb, stubborn SOB......he responded by saying that if he wins, he was going to say the same to me.....I said "Deal".

Here's a shot of the winning Downard/Pellolio boat ( notice it's not Renato/Hering ).

To be continued.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Singles 023.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 10-18-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paris 6 Hour - 1971....continued
    Paris is an impound race, so everyone has to be out of the pits by a certain hour on Saturday. All of our drivers had taken a few laps and we were wrapping things up when it was announced that, for the first time, barge traffic would be held for the entire race rather than just the first hour. Suddenly, the strategy for 5 of our 6 boats doesn't look as good because the water isn't going to be as rough as we had set up for, and there is no time to do anything about it.

The race starts, and Renato flys into the lead which he holds for almost an hour before that "test" C6 comes apart and he is done for the day ( you already know what I'm thinking ). Cesare Scotti takes the lead and sets a course record in the process, averaging 90 mph! Just after his fuel stop, he bangs sides with someone coming out of a turn and sinks ( I think Mr.T can tell you more about that ). Somtime into the 3rd hour, the boats running TI's start sounding strange, a misfire. Tom Stickle comes into the pits and a quick check doesn't reveal the problem. We put him on a trailer so we can find out what is going on and maybe be able to fix the others in the water. Turns out it's water in the distributor, so we spread the word to every pit using a TI to bring their boat in as soon as possible, drop the cap, spray the insides with CRC and to put GE sealant over the plug in the cap. We do the same with our remaining TI boats.

All of this takes time, so the OMC boats are running in the top positions. However, a variety of things break on all of their rigs during the last two hours! We didn't do much better, Molinari and Stickle were already out, Pruett breaks an ignition coil mount, Seebold flips and something broke on Spalding.....the one remaining factory boat in the race, Downard/Pellolio, pulls out the win

Here's a couple of shots of Scotti......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Singles 026.jpg   Hot Singles 028.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 01-21-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fascinating insight into an era widely regarded by many as the golden period for this type of racing. The entrylists for these events seem to read like royalty for tunnel boat racing, we salute you for taking the time to share your memories of those great races with us.

15. Thanks willabee thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    Paris 6 Hour - 1971....continued Cesare Scotti takes the lead and sets a course record in the process, averaging 90 mph! Just after his fuel stop, he bangs sides with someone coming out of a turn and sinks ( I think Mr.T can tell you more about that ). ......
    After Scotti re-fueld he wasn't as fast with a full load. He came out of the pits just ahead of me. By the time we got back around to the last bridge before the pits I was about one boat length behind him on the outside. He looked back saw me and drifted over. It was lift or hit the bridge I lifted cut in behind him. We came out of the pit turn side by side I had punch on him and got the rear of my sponson half way up the side of his. Then the rear of my boat (for some unknown reason) went sideways and we hit. I may have turned the wheel just a little bit. No worse than getting pushed into a concrete bridge. The next lap he was sinking almost the same spot were the rear of my boat went sideways. when I got into the pits Renato (even though he and Scotti were cousins) congratulated me for about an hour.AND THATS THE REST OF THE STORY MR.T
    Last edited by Mr.T; 01-23-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Page 6 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 56 106 ... LastLast