Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the early 90's I was selling Carvers and Regals. This was about the time swim platforms started to become molded in as part of the hull mold as opposed to a bolt-on extension. Magically the same 25 footer became a 28, a 33 became a 35, a 35 a 37 you get my 'drift'. From my recollection it was Sea Ray who started the 'shorter is now longer' but over about a 2 year period (by about 1995) everyone followed suit.
    I always thought it was the USCG that stepped in and required all US manufacturers to include the molded length of a boat in the specifications ( a builder could call their boat what ever they wanted but the LOA had to be published). I would guess this LOA measurement should be the length of the hull mold from top of the bow to top of the transom - easy to do if we are measuring a traditional mono hull with a pointed bow and flat transom.
    When it comes to tunnel hulls I don't think there has ever been a standard way to measure. In my opinion a tunnel hull length should be measured from the tip of the sponson to the aft of the sponson. Forward cowling set back and motorbox extensions vary way too much and only complicate the measurement process - again that is only my opinion...from the possible instigator of the sprint vs. marathon 'free for all'.

2. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup. the swim platform plus/minus story was just another example of the builders calling it whatever they choose. agreed it was the coast guard that finally had to "suggest" what they get together and do. they couldn't demand it though. its out of their realm. hey lets not forget the bow sprits & the bow pulpits creating length, lol. oh jeeez, lets not bring up the fountains...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 04-08-2020 at 06:43 PM.

4. Likes peterse90, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sprints / marathons ..... to be or not to be ?

Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    I wondered how long it would be before we had this discussion Bob spalding in 1973 ran a picklefork MOLINARI IN 1973/74 WITH A T2x motor with a narrow tunnel i would guess width round about 42inches it was a top class all round boat i would have called it a sprint boat the weird thing is I never remembered these outfits prone to barrel rolling.Now one race in my mind stands out it was a 1hr race at Chasewater Bob was easily leading the race with a much faster outfit i was way behind in a 19ft marathon boat it started out as a sunny afteroon after about 20 mins the sky went black we had a thunderstorm the race got rougher as the wind blew harder bob was leading by half a lap and 10 minutes later i was passing him now viewing his boat from behind the wind was blowing him sideways the only way he could control his boat was to slow down i was way in front for 20 mins the sun came out the wind stopped and 10 mins later he past me to win the race.Now that can be the difference between a sprint boat and a marathon boat subject to the conditions in the race.Cees had exactly the same outfit with a narrow tunnel and in 1975 when he changed over to OMC at the Cardiff world championship race he had his own new boat and lent his narrow tunnel Molinari to Barry Woods with a Johnson 2litre hiline motor i new it might end in tears he only did a few laps before he barrel rolled it.
    I think your description of the boats and how they performed in the changing race conditions at Chasewater is perfect. It clearly describes the difference between a sprint and a marathon.

6. Thanks STEVERINO thanked for this post
    Likes STEVERINO liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More from Groningen, Netherland August 28 1977
    Erwin Zimmerman of Austria drove a Velden with Merc V6 power. This was in the beginning of his step up from Hydro/Konig racing to tunnel boat racing.
    Great racer and friend. Erwin left us a few years later in a sad Hydro/Konig accident.
    Thanks Alex for the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erwin.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	462685

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sprints / marathons ..... to be or not to be ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonkercraft View Post
    You added some interesting information.
    Narrow tunnel widths on a Molinari were 44 inches wide. Wide tunnels were 48 inches wide. The last series of full deck Molinari's were just short of 17ft with narrow tunnels, as were the the first pickleforks ( afterplanes included ). Exceptions were Molinari's red Paris boat which was a wide tunnel, picklefork boat at nearly 19 ft long.
    What made them work well as both sprint and marathon boats were plenty of lift, sponson width, long running dihedral on the sponsons, and "soft" angle chines. The boats accelerated well, and carried flat at speed. With that said, they also ran "light" on the water. If driven in cross winds, they would be a handful to keep going straight. They also didn't react well to being driven deep and hard into a turn. They liked a light turn in, with trim out early, using the aft portion of the outside chine to keep the boat going in the right direction.
    That's why you got yelled at for looking under the boat covers, you had a tape measure in hand! That's always been a big .

As I already mentioned, I don't remember the tunnel measurements, so I can't confirm. With the exception of the 19' length of the 1972 Paris winner, they sure sound right. As I recall, the first picklefork Molinari built was 17' and I probably just assumed the Paris boat was the same. It did look bigger but I chalked that up to the Paris boat having a wider, deeper tunnel. So now that you have mentioned this, I'd guess it probably was an 18'?

First picklefork .....

Name:	Hering Dayton.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	462689

1972 Paris winner .....

Name:	Renato and Hering Paris 1972.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	462690
    Last edited by willabee; 04-09-2020 at 01:48 PM.

9. Likes STEVERINO, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    That's why you got yelled at for looking under the boat covers, you had a tape measure in hand! That's always been a big .

As I already mentioned, I don't remember the tunnel measurements, so I can't confirm. With the exception of the 19' length of the 1972 Paris winner, they sure sound right. As I recall, the first picklefork Molinari built was 17' and I probably just assumed the Paris boat was the same. It did look bigger but I chalked that up to the Paris boat having a wider, deeper tunnel. So now that you have mentioned this, I'd guess it probably was an 18'?

First picklefork .....

Name:	Hering Dayton.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	462689

1972 Paris winner .....

Name:	Renato and Hering Paris 1972.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	462690

ME??? With a tape measure??? HAHAHAHA! That wouldn't be ethical. Not me, but thanks for remembering! Like you, and quite a few others, those were very interesting days. Learned a lot, by using a small camera and my hand for a scale. You, and a few others were very kind, and patient toward me. Do you recall the fellow who did Molinari's painting?

11. Likes STEVERINO liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonkercraft View Post
    ME??? With a tape measure??? HAHAHAHA! That wouldn't be ethical. Not me, but thanks for remembering! Like you, and quite a few others, those were very interesting days. Learned a lot, by using a small camera and my hand for a scale. You, and a few others were very kind, and patient toward me. Do you recall the fellow who did Molinari's painting?
    When Don Ross and me brought the 18’ Yellow Molinari back to England, it created quite a stir.
    Caught Tom Percival under the covers with a Tape measure——- told him to forget what he had seen — and if I ever saw him within ten feet of my boat again he would die a slow and painful death !
    Percy was of the higher echelon of society——- born with a silver spoon etc! —- spoke with a plumb in his mouth——- Dad owned a boatyard (PERCIVAL BOATS OF HORNING )so I knew he could build any boat he chose.
    He came out from under the covers looking red faced, and guilty as sin ——— “I say, Jackie, that’s not like you”——told him——- it’s not every day I get a new Molinari!
    It was the very first in the UK !
    We remained friends for years—— his kids and mine grew up together—- Guy became a first class international Sailor——- Katie grew up to be a beautiful lady ——- My mechanic and best friend Chas Shooter went to work with them, when they, along with Hodges, switched to OMC.
    After Tom had his accident in Liege Belgium and subsequently died—— Bob and Jilly got together—— stayed that way until Bob had his accident in Seville which led to his untimely death. Just saying.

13. Thanks willabee thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more 'Jackie speak' .....

Heavens to Murgatroyd, not another using 'Jackie speak'! If that persists, we'll all be throwing dollies outa the pram. Jesus wept, just post some phoggies and shout Bloody Hooray!
    Yesterday I was looking through some old 'Powerboat' magazines and as I turned a page, something caught my eye. I went back and, sure enough, there was a familiar name lurking about dead center of the print. Of course I had to see what this guy had to say back in May of 1970, thought you guys might want to check it out.

Name:	wilson 1970 JPG edited.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	462806

Fifty years have passed and the man hasn't changed one bit!
    Last edited by willabee; 04-11-2020 at 01:04 PM.

15. Likes GENE LANHAM, lilabner liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I was looking through some old 'Powerboat' magazines and as I turned a page, something caught my eye. I went back and, sure enough, there was a familiar name lurking about dead center of the print. Of course I had to see what this guy had to say back in May of 1970, thought you guys might want to check it out.

Name:	wilson 1970 JPG edited.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	462806

Fifty years has passed and the man hasn't changed one bit!
    Aw—- C’mon William——- would you have it any other way ???
    ​WE THOUGHT THOSE DAYS WOULD NEVER END ,!!

17. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​WE THOUGHT THOSE DAYS WOULD NEVER END ,!!

I did compete in a Molinari

WAS IT A SPRINT??

FIVE minutes of fame--

Must be hallucnating from confinement???

Check back tomorrw

Name:	Dick Gene GCM.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	462844

19. Likes Bob V, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Maherajah Ad

[QUOTE=jackiewilson;3200240]Aw—- C’mon William——- would you have it any other way ???
    ​WE THOUGHT THOSE DAYS WOULD NEVER END ,!![/QUOTE

I got completely distracted by the ad on the page. Boy, what a time capsule! I haven't seen that brand name waterski in 45 years. They were the cat's meow back in the day. O'Brien and Connelly were just getting started. We tried duplicating Maherajahs in high school wood shop. Today, they are valued as antique collectibles.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=WaterZebra;3200410]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post

I got completely distracted by the ad on the page. Boy, what a time capsule! I haven't seen that brand name waterski in 45 years. They were the cat's meow back in the day. O'Brien and Connelly were just getting started. We tried duplicating Maherajahs in high school wood shop. Today, they are valued as antique collectibles.
    Hey. Stripes—— hope one day that these might be “​ANTIQUE COLLECTIBLES “ ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D5C07244-D30F-4967-B528-3EB445FF7F43.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=WaterZebra;3200410]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post

...Had a 64'' O'Brien Slalom with purple heartwood & zebra wood. A work of art back then.

23. Likes Baja170 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every FINO we sold included a Connelly Speed Ski.

25. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FUJIMO;3200413]
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    ...Had a 64'' O'Brien Slalom with purple heartwood & zebra wood. A work of art back then.
    I still have a Western Wood somewhere, made famous by Mike Suyderhoud (sp). Still have a 64" EP Comp.

Page 280 of 348 FirstFirst ... 180 230 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 330 ... LastLast