Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OK, so the parts list DOES NOT include a new silo, only has provsions for the silo to have the exhaust and/or water modified. This synchs with the pieces I have seen.

Sounds more like Norris's box o'stuff is not only enough to convert a Twister to a T-1, much more than a conversion kit, enough to build an entire T-1 powerhead. That's why there are so many unexpected parts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extra parts .....

Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post
    Thank you for posting this. It answers quite a few questions. The parts list does vary some from the kit I bought from a man in Idaho who'd had it still sealed in the factory box until I bought it sometime in the 90's or early 00's. In addition to the parts mentioned my kit included 6 new pistons, a new exhaust silo with other related parts and I'm pretty sure it also had new upper and lower cowls. There are so many bits and pieces that I didn't take the time to inventory mine and compare. Maybe one day soon I can lay it all out on a table and photograph it to add to this discussion.
    I sure don't know why your 'kit' contains so many extra parts, possibly a shipping error? Maybe at the time these kits were being put together, someone placed an order for parts to rebuild a damaged Twister. If the boxes got mixed up at Mercury, the Idaho guy that ordered a kit could have received all the extra stuff while the guy that ordered the extra stuff only received a kit? Who knows, stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by willabee; 03-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I sure don't know why your 'kit' contains so many extra parts, possibly a shipping error. Maybe at the time these kits were being put together, someone placed an order for parts to rebuild a damaged Twister. The boxes got mixed up at Mercury and the Idaho guy that ordered a kit received all the extra stuff while the guy that ordered the extra stuff only received a kit? Who knows, stranger things have happened.
    You want to hear REALLY STRANGE? (you may have seen that I posted this before). It had a T2 crank with it. So I have a brand new, never installed T2 crank. I'm bettin' there aren't many of 'em around.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post
    You want to hear REALLY STRANGE? (you may have seen that I posted this before). It had a T2 crank with it. So I have a brand new, never installed T2 crank. I'm bettin' there aren't many of 'em around.
    If you aren't planning on selling the crank soon, you should probably stop mentioning it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    If you aren't planning on selling the crank soon, you should probably stop mentioning it.
    I think Raceman's crank is like my Mustang

Don't really want to sell it--But ---if someone is really interested---

$$$$$$$$$

6. Likes Raceman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ....I think... a nos Mk 40 crank..... real prudy......mis spell or a tx momnt....keep what ya want sell what ya don't need.....I forgot where that crank be.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a 67 fastback. My first new car was a 67 notchback, Acapulco Blue. Loved that car. I wrecked it and it was repaired but never drove right after.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Watermark;3120129]

Here's a few more of that start:

Attachment 434060
    Mark, GREAT picture!! Looks like Spencer (S-73) got a pretty good start location right beside the main factory boats. If I remember correctly Spencer had a decent finish in '72 (?).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havasu 72 .....

Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    ..... Mark, GREAT picture!! Looks like Spencer (S-73) got a pretty good start location right beside the main factory boats. If I remember correctly Spencer had a decent finish in '72 (?).
    I was looking through my Powerboat mags for some evidence of when Scotti started running his own boats and noticed that Spencer Dunn of Port Credit, Canada finished 13th at the 1972 Outboard World Championship.

11. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I was looking through my Powerboat mags for some evidence of when Scotti started running his own boats and noticed that Spencer Dunn of Port Credit, Canada finished 13th at the 1972 Outboard World Championship.
    I think that was the best finish in the OWC ever by a Canadian.
    In a way it's too bad that this GREAT race ended after 1972, but in another just think how special those races were - probably the ultimate factory head-to-head racing ever.

13. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Re-ring pistons, install crank, adjust end play....1 hour.

Maybe if you did it everyday!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    "Re-ring pistons, install crank, adjust end play....1 hour.

Maybe if you did it everyday!
    It was amazing to watch Mercury assembly guys do it on the in line 6's - if I remember right they had two guys loading crank assemblies with ring compressors, and one guy would pick up the assembly and literally drop it into the well oiled cylinder block - probably to the tune of 8-10 an hour! They seldom broke a ring!

16. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only used a set of Mercury ring compressors once. Managed to borrow a set to assemble one of my 44in motors. I seem to remember they were angled specifically for the number of cylinders. Since it was not convenient to borrow them when ever I needed them and since I was to cheap(and usually broke) to buy them, I came up with a different solution. I taped the inside surfaces of big stainless worm drive hose clamps and compressed all the rings. Then I slid all the pistons part way in and took the clamps off the rods by unscrewing them all the way. Never broke a ring or scratched a piston using this method.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I only used a set of Mercury ring compressors once. Managed to borrow a set to assemble one of my 44in motors. I seem to remember they were angled specifically for the number of cylinders. Since it was not convenient to borrow them when ever I needed them and since I was to cheap(and usually broke) to buy them, I came up with a different solution. I taped the inside surfaces of big stainless worm drive hose clamps and compressed all the rings. Then I slid all the pistons part way in and took the clamps off the rods by unscrewing them all the way. Never broke a ring or scratched a piston using this method.
    I always did it that way before I had a set of factory ring compressors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Willa—- you old goat—- congrats on reaching 800,00 hits on your Hot Singles site—— to me, it’s still the best thread there ever was on S&F. And, you lead the way from the beginning, in what a thread should be, by a country mile. Keep well Bill—- J.

20. Thanks willabee thanked for this post
    Likes Jimboat, peterse90, Mark75H liked this post
Page 258 of 348 FirstFirst ... 158 208 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 308 ... LastLast