User Tag List

Page 24 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 74 124 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill. that last pic running at speed looks like the hull design I was asking about. I think it is a 15 ft woody and one showed up in Texas in 1966 or 67. Good short coarse boat but liked to barrel roll. Kenneth Mann of Houston had it the last time I saw it in 1970.
    About the Molly history. Didn't Deter Shultz (sp) and Angelo hit the U.S. in 65 or 66 with thier tunnels ??? Bill Allen was working at the Texas City marina in 66 and became the rigger for Don Sheppard Racing when they bought a 17 or 18 ft Shultz. It arrived in Houston the fall of 66 without a nose cowling and they built one out of fiberglass. It truley looked like a porpose !!(sp) We took it to Havasu and was an might short of being competivite to say the least. Boat never did run good.
    Am really enjoying this website.

Joe Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Am I wrong or did Angelo Molinari originally build outboard hydros.....?

Am I confusing him with Dieter SChultz?
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that question is for me, I was with Austin, Texas Glastron Boat co in 68 when Bob Hammond sign the deal with Angelo to exclusive rights to build Molly's in the U.S. I never saw any hydro's or heard comments about them. Renato and I did have a discussion about some V bottom OB or sterndrive (can't remember which) that he was trying to set some kilo records with.

Joe Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Am I wrong .....
    again .....I don't recall Molinari hydros, but that sure doesn't mean he didn't build a couple.

jlf56..... I think it was Schulze at Havasu first in 1966.....Molinari's first appearance there was 1968. I also think that both boats were single engine and both led the race at some point.....Tom Stickle driving the lead Molinari.
    Last edited by willabee; 08-08-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Angelo was in the boat building business and did build racing boats prior to 1960. The first outboard boat to exceed 100 mph was built by Angelo for the di Priolo brothers in 1954. (A slightly stretched out Swift "Big D" design.)

Whether he bought out Cetti is unknown to me.

Dieter Schulze also built and raced hydros before he built and raced tunnels. Dieter Schulze, Dieter Konig and Renato Molinari were well known in outboard racing in Europe by 1960.

Willabee is right, Schulze introduced the tunnel to North America at Havasu in 1966.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 08-08-2007 at 05:00 PM.

6. Thanks tboyle36 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, Wasn't it 1967 when Renato brought the wooden twin Molly to Havasu ?? Glastron had made the deal and Harold Wilkerson was there with him at pit whatever. Renato either broke a sponson or something and the boat sank. They raised it and took it to Austin, made repairs and that boat was used to make the mold for the 21 ft glass boats. early in 1968 Bob Hammond was showing off on lake LBJ (Austin) and blew it over and broke a leg. That was when they hired me to do the deeds to the twin.

Joe Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Angelo was in the boat building business and did build racing boats prior to 1960. The first outboard boat to exceed 100 mph was built by Angelo for the di Priolo brothers in 1954. (A slightly stretched out Swift "Big D" design.)
    Dieter Schulze also built and raced hydros before he built and raced tunnels. Dieter Schulze, Dieter Konig and Renato Molinari were well known in outboard racing in Europe by 1960.

T2x is right....He's always right...in spite of what Willabee says......

I rest my case
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf56 View Post
    Bill, Wasn't it 1967 when Renato brought the wooden twin Molly to Havasu ?? Glastron had made the deal and Harold Wilkerson was there with him at pit whatever. Renato either broke a sponson or something and the boat sank. They raised it and took it to Austin, made repairs and that boat was used to make the mold for the 21 ft glass boats. early in 1968 Bob Hammond was showing off on lake LBJ (Austin) and blew it over and broke a leg. That was when they hired me to do the deeds to the twin.....Joe Fielder
    I think the 21' Glastron/Molinari was first available in 1969.....Johnny Sanders drove one to a 2nd place finish at Havasu that year. The race was won by Cesare Scotti driving a new wooden Molinari similar in style to the Glastron and Bill Sirois finished 3rd in the boat I think was used for the mold work. If 1969 is correct for the Glastron/Molinari, then the deal must have been done in 1968. We received the 21' twin Molinari (the 1970 winner) in 1968. It must have made it's way to us through Texas, it had not been rigged. I'll check Powerboat, but I'm thinking that Renato made his first appearance at Havasu in 1969. He brought a green reverse "S" twin and blew it over before the race.....maybe that's the boat you're thinking about?

Here's the 21' we received in 68, a Glastron/Molinari that came from it and the twin Renato blew over in 69......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Boat Mag 051.jpg   Power Boat Mag 054.jpg   Renato Havasu 69.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I rest my case
    Mark 75H.....looks like T2x is putting words in your mouth again .

It is highly unlikely that you would have said "T2x is right" without your statement being preceded by the word "surprisingly". Therefore, there is no way that you made the statement "T2x is always right".....don't know what to do with that boy.
    Last edited by willabee; 08-09-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Mark 75H.....looks like T2x is putting words in your mouth again .

It is highly unlikely that you would have said "T2x is right" without your statement being preceded by the word "surprisingly". Therefore, there is no way that you made the statement "T2x is always right".....don't know what to do with that boy.
    Apparently I have no idea what I am saying

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Apparently I have no idea what I am saying

Exactly....so that's why I "help" you every now and then.

T2x
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go again Willa, someone had to pose for all those mercury ads,[never did get paid for doing it] ya know the one, icing on the cake, ain't i just the dogs bo---cks, black is beautiful, but i was born in yorkshire. There was only one pretty boy out there and it wasn't either Welch or Pruett. I gather you recieved the first pics i sent you, thanks for letting me know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First i knew wuz when the caustic comments started again, ever tried switching to oranges for breakfast, lemons also cause depression, amnesia, senior demen., and worst of all ,a total lack of humour and understanding of fellow humans.-----------. The reason for the positioning of the boats was---------- the trailer was for a v bottom and the cat had a framework that was easy to fix above the v bottom ie, 4 uprights ---job done. There was no way you could have fixed the v bottom over the cat without major surgery to the rig, having said that, i await with baited breath the mind blowing explanation of Lord Willabee, telling how he would have done it. For the record, both the little vee and the little cat were brand new and untried. The big cat was from the Paris of '64. It wasn't until we started putting the 65 Koenig on the back of the little cat and realized that this was a faster boat than the big cat with the !00 h.p. Merc. The most i ever saw out of the big boat was 62 mph and that was downhill with a tail wind. Remember power trim had not yet been invented, nor had ballast tanks, so the set up was always a compromise between ploughing and flying, Bloody wind was always blowing on race days, so the final set up was how big your balls were on race day. And there's more to come[if anyone wants it that is] J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    There you go again Willa, ..... I gather you recieved the first pics i sent you, thanks for letting me know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First i knew wuz when the caustic comments started again, ever tried switching to oranges for breakfast, lemons also cause depression, amnesia, senior demen., and worst of all ,a total lack of humour and understanding of fellow humans..... Bloody wind was always blowing on race days, so the final set up was how big your balls were on race day. And there's more to come[if anyone wants it that is] J.
    You didn't tell me they were coming and said you'd be on holiday until the 27th.....thought you'd figure out that they arrived when you saw them here.

For the record, I don't eat breakfast.....got to keep my figure.

Let's have the "more to come".....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    played boats for most of 1965 with the big Torrigia. Nobody in England had ever seen a monster like it. At that time it was either a 16' Levi, or a Shakespeare. or one of Charlie Sheppard's 16' Bristols. Mercs were the main means of propulsion. The Jonroods sounded nice but didn't perform worth a w-nk, and even Clive Curtis and James Beard only raced them 'cos they sold 'em in the shop. But after playing submarines in Paris, even they dropped them. Clive had a couple of sorties to Havasu with O.M.C. but can't remember if he ever got around to building a Cougar Cat for Havasu. Anyway the cat was well and truly amongst the pigeons and in '66 i took a trip to Austria and met a very interesting geezer called Shulze. Dieter sold me probably the ugliest boat i have ever owned, 18' + it was a bit quicker than the old Torrigia. but was pig-ugly and i sold it as soon as i could. At the back of my mind, i still thought the way to go was a small cat with a big motor, so i got Dieter to build me a 16' boat, this went really well with the 65 Koenig, so thought "what the hell" lets do it. Tied a 100hp Merc on the back and had the world's liveliest ride ever. Sometimes it would lay flat and run so sweet you could dream of sex and heaven at the same time. and then it would chine dance like a vee bottom, then it would do the tin opener and dig each sponson in and try to spit you out. Twas like dancing the mambo with full crazed gorilla. Buttttttt--- i saw the Magic 70 on the lie teller and knew we were on the right track. A guy called Bob Spalding bought the boat from me on the understanding we took it to Milan for the 6hr race and i drive with him alternate hrs. Got talking to Ridgell and he came up with a 1000BP . Tested the boat with a range of props borrowed from Phil Rolla got 83 mph on the lier but the boat was a little squirly so we used a prop than ran 75 all day long. THEN WE GOT SHAFTED -------BIG TIME. Ridgell said to put this new gear case on for the race, as these had only a limited life and we had run the nuts offn the test one. We did this and at the whistle the damn boat would not even plane , we ran the first lap at an all time low record of 35mins. brought the boat back in and changed the gearcase. Ridgell had given us a 1250 gearcase with a rubbish ratio. After the change ,the boat started to lap the entire field every half hour including Scotti. Molinari ,Shulze. It was the death of big tunnels. Angelo was our pit crew that day and he just wanted that little boat to win so badly. We became lifelong friends that day, and the next boat was a Molinari. You want more or am i boring you to tears? j

16. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want more. Great stuff.

Page 24 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 74 124 ... LastLast