User Tag List

Page 22 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 72 122 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Okay, now I know what you were trying to say. However, you are making it very easy for me to say that apparently you don't read any better than you type .Gobackto post #77 and read the last paragraph again.....I saidJimbo passed Renato on the 2nd lap, not Posey.

Are you sure they also ran hour and one half fuel loads? I seem to recall that they ran two hour loads, as we usually did. If you guys made three stops and they made two, and the boats ran as even on the course as you said, they made the pass during the extra stop.

I remember that extended transom boat as being the class of the field. I didn't recall that Jimbo had gone by it on lap #2, I read that in Powerboat before I made that post. I only remembered that as the water got rougher, Jimbo was flying all over the place until he finally did the nose dive. I'm thinking that the Sanders/Posey entry didn't get a very good start, but it made a steady climb in the standings all day long. I'll dig out that article and see if it tells when that boat took the lead.....if it does, we'll know who was driving the Molinari/Wilson rig when it happened or if it happened during a pit stop.

My new rule........

Since none of us was ever really "beaten" but rather succombed to "mistakes" in prop selection, lap counts, or "mechanical problems", with the occasional wind gust caused "backward 1 1/2 gainer"..and/or ....."The other guy had better equipment!" syndrome.

I propose that each of us can claim victory in every race we ever ran, even against each other.

That way we can dispense with all this trivia about race results and factual information...and declare ourselves winners..... with the possible exception of the Tarboro Flash..... who, as far as I remember...never won anything .

For example below is a picture of Sherlock and me winning a race back in the day..........

I feel better already.......

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pictures 198.jpg  
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hells teeth Bill, what do you want , Perfect script, perfect memory,Taken me 75 yrs to read properly, and just as long to write NEARLY correctly. Give me a break you supercillious old walrus. NO, I am not certain we did hour and a half stints, and you and i know not ALL the runners did 2 hr stints. The privateers usually shared the costs ,so they would obviously share the length of time in the boat, thats why the 3 stops. But forgot ,you were only ever F_A_C_T_O_R_Y. Yes i did cock up on the fact you said Jimbo and not Posey. SORRRRRREEEEEEE.Grovel,grovel, grovel. But i'm happy it was not your memory that served you well but a reference to Powerboat, Bloody hooray Bill if it was the engish powerboat you referred to, it was probably Baverstock who did the write up and he'd still be pissed out of his skull from the previous nights celebrations and was notorious for getting it all screwed up. J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not to educated in the history about race boats but I remembered seeing one of those Molinari hulls hear.This is not what I was looking for I thought there was a guy in the NY area that was restoring one but thought you guys would enjoy the pics of this one on this old thread from 2005! She apears to be bristol! James http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...light=molinari

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Bloody hooray Bill if it was the engish powerboat you referred to, it was probably Baverstock who did the write up and he'd still be pissed out of his skull from the previous nights celebrations and was notorious for getting it all screwed up. J.
    For those of you who were born west of Liverpool allow me to translate......

"Pissed" in the British vernacular refers to having too much to drink, as opposed to the good ol' USA version, "Pissed off", which means angry. I prefer the parent (British)language version myself......... urp!
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    Im not to educated in the history about race boats but I remembered seeing one of those Molinari hulls hear.This is not what I was looking for I thought there was a guy in the NY area that was restoring one but thought you guys would enjoy the pics of this one on this old thread from 2005! She apears to be bristol! James http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...light=molinari
    Alas, it appears that, based on the above thread, the "Kids in Bristol" are no longer sharp as a pistol.

Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paris 1970 - Jackie's "Neverending Story".....

Give me a break you supercillious old walrus..... NO, I am not certain we did hour and a half stints,..... SORRRRRREEEEEEE.Grovel,grovel, grovel. But i'm happy it was not your memory that served you well but a reference to Powerboat, Bloody hooray Bill if it was the engish powerboat you referred to, it was probably Baverstock .
    Soooooo, a little checking with Powerboat, the US version, found some stuff that should put a smile on that antiquated mug of yours. The article was written by C.D. Strang, who was President of OMC at the time. Knowing Charlie, I'd say that means that the article may be a little biased, but is fundamentally accurate.

Eighty boats answered the start gun in Paris on October 11, 1970. Renato takes the lead with Jimbo right behind him. Jimbo leads lap #2, but Renato goes back by him as the water is getting rougher and Jimbo's new OMC tunnel doesn't seem to handle it very well. Sanders/Posey and Cesare Scotti did get bad starts, Scotti was down two laps before he ever got running. Billy Don Pruett put his Merc/Molinari into 2nd place, but according to Mr. Strang, the stop watches were on Sanders and Scotti as they were "coming through the pack at a tremendous speed". At the end of the 1st hour, it was Molinari, Sanders and Pruett.

A few laps later, Sanders "blasted" past Molinari, taking a lead he never relinquished and actually "stretched it out". As hour #2 ended, it was Sanders, Arie deBoom in a Johnson/Molinari, and Pruett - "Molinari having temporarily lost second place as he went into the pits for fuel and relief driver Jackie Wilson of England" (two hour fuel loads Jackie my boy).

Jackie, I need to warn you that the smile you have now after hearing that Sanders passed Molinari is about to disappear, read on at your own peril.....Soon after Molinari's pit stop. Sanders entered the pits (two hour loads again) and Posey gets in. Strang writes that Posey is new to Paris conditions and asks "Could Posey hold the lead that Sanders had built up in the face of the experienced Wilson's driving?" He says that Texas Tom ran two easy laps and then sent "the roostertail high" and built even a greater lead for the Abline Marine machine.

A couple of previously posted photos.....the 1st and 2nd place finishers.

To be continued...............BTW Jackie, I thought everyone knew that "supercilious" is spelled with just one "L" .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Singles 072.jpg   Hot Singles 077.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 05-18-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paris 1970 - Jackie's "Neverending Story".....

When Posey got out after four hours, the running order was Sanders/Posey, Molinari/Wilson and deBoom/deBoom (father & son). That doesn't sound bad, but this does.....99 laps for the leaders, 97 for 2nd and 96 for 3rd . By now, Jimbo and Merten were out after nose dives, Scotti had hit a barge, and Don Clark had flipped and got hurt badly.

After the fuel stops at four hours, it was once again Sanders vs. Molinari in the cockpits. The previous year it was the same going into the last stint, Sanders again in front. That time he hit something, damaged his prop and Molinari just beat him to the finish.....would something similar happen again? No.....Sanders won "by nearly three laps". DeBoom, with "no power trim, no factory engine and no new Molinari" finished 3rd, on the same lap as Renato. Strang said "Sanders and Posey dominated the day despite a prop bent on the opening lap (I bet it made them quicker) and failing steering (cable off pulley) on the last lap". Johnson Stingers finished 1st, 3rd, 7th and 9th.....beating Mercury for the first time in Paris.

Well, there you have it Jackie my boy.....and it didn't get any prettier when we went to Berlin .

Jimbo's hauling OMC hull and deBoom......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Singles 068.jpg   Hot Singles 075.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 05-18-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear boy, answer to thread 332, If you are going to correct people and inform the colonials of translations let me just point out. It is not BRITISH vernacular ,but ENGLISH, to be british means you could have been unfortunate enough to have been born in scotland , ireland or even wales. Whereas to be english----guess what. Any one of these countries would have cocked up the lingo even worse than the colonials. The language is english old fruit, not british. If you're going to be THAT picky ---------Get it right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bill you're gonna have to forgive me if i don't get the replies to the threads in the right order.I.m new to this game and make cock ups on a regular basis, like doing a full page ,then the damn thing deletes itself or plain disappears. Well, i guess if Charlie wrote it ,then Fundamentally accurate means we were all on the same racecourse and thats about as close as it gets. You know, and i know both Merc and O.M.C. had p.r. companies who handed C.E.O.s the hourly results which they in turn had got from race control, who had got it from timing which consisted of one caller, and one marker for 80 odd boats. It was not until we started to see how the americans did timing at havasu etc in the early 70's that boats started to do their own timing. So, unless Bill, you yourself can actually remember, without reference to magazines and pr reports, i shall continue to believe my version of events. Pruett was using my boat and i was watching him in particular, and don't you think i would have got a tad excited if he HAD ACTUALLY got onto 2nd spot, no way josephine-----he was just a very good friend of Charlies. He did make it up to 3rd after 2 hrs, before he threw a blade of my best prop. I got into the boat and went round on rails, now i am telling you with hand on heart, nobody came by me in 2hrs. Took the boat home , Renato gets in and finishes without a single hiccup. Now you tell me Bill 4 minute laps-----nearly 3 laps down--- thats 10----to----12 mins. C'mon, We had no problems, boat ran faultlessly, not like Alex And Arie who were plagued with problems for most of the race yet managed to finish on the same lap in 3rd. The records are there to look at, the moving finger wrote and then moved on, they cannot be altered, i just thought some of you out there might like to hear my side of events. No axe to grind, Still friends with The de-booms and Sanders And Posey and Jimbo so lets draw the curtain on this and end "the never ending story'-------P.S. still believe we won it. By the way Bill there may only be one l in supercilious but i don't need 2 shots on how one is spelt- yes i did see the first transcript.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackie - Jackie - Jackie.....

like doing a full page ,then the damn thing deletes itself or plain disappears...... Well, i guess if Charlie wrote it ,then Fundamentally accurate means we were all on the same racecourse and thats about as close as it gets...... So, unless Bill, you yourself can actually remember, without reference to magazines and pr reports, i shall continue to believe my version of events...... so lets draw the curtain on this and end "the never ending story'-------P.S. still believe we won it. By the way Bill there may only be one l in supercilious but i don't need 2 shots on how one is spelt- yes i did see the first transcript.
    For openers, my disappearing full pages must be floating around out there in email space with yours.....very irritating. Your definition of Strang being "fundamentally correct" is great, had a big belly laugh over that one .

No, I can't say anymore about what I actually remember than I already have. Go back to post #328 - I said "I remember the extended transom boat (that's the Molinari/Wilson entry) as being the class of the field......I'm thinking the Sanders/Posey entry didn't get a good start, but made a steady climb in the standings all day long." .....What all that means is it was hard for me to imagine how that boat made up the almost one lap it lost on the start and went on to put three laps on "the class of the field". Saying that I remember them making a steady climb through the field isn't the same as saying they "blasted" past you and Renato three times! That's damn hard to do when a great boat with "experienced" drivers doesn't have the slightest miscue during the entire race.

Like you said, let's draw a curtain on the "neverending story" cause it's been in the books for some time now. But, I have to ask..... What were the Merc VIP's doing on that VIP Barge while the lead boat was going backward in the standings? Maybe one company supplied the champagne and the other company drank it .

I think I only took one supercilious shot.....
    Last edited by willabee; 05-19-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dear boy, answer to thread 332, If you are going to correct people and inform the colonials of translations let me just point out. It is not BRITISH vernacular ,but ENGLISH, to be british means you could have been unfortunate enough to have been born in scotland , ireland or even wales. Whereas to be english----guess what. Any one of these countries would have cocked up the lingo even worse than the colonials. The language is english old fruit, not british. If you're going to be THAT picky ---------Get it right.
    I stand corrected.......... but I sit comfortably.......

T2x
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. You're Forgiven, Now Sit Comfortably And Recount Berlin And I'll Tell You How I Got Into More Trouble Than I Had Ever Gotten Into In The Whole Of My Previous Life . All Because Of A Guy Called Pruett And His Dislike Of Russians,and The Germans, And Any Damn Thing He Could Think Of At The Time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackie Wilson

Jackie, Joe Fielder here, Glastron T-74 1970. Where you been fellow. Was reading your comment about Pruitt and burst into laughter. He could get anyone in trouble. I could tell you many "interesting" stories but this is the internet and the whole world would know. By the way, is he, Billy Don Pruitt, Triple Trouble Ron Jones, still alive???
    Regards, Joe FIelder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Joe, who'da thought it would be nearly 40 yrs before we talked again when i left needles hospital for vegas with Billy Don Pruett. Unable to walk and face full of bandages, Pruett said "you look O.K. to me, let's go to vegas and party". It was impossible to feel sorry for yourself with that idiot. Trouble on legs, that man, but the whole world loved him. Nearly got me barred for life at "ceasers", bought me a pair of '**** kickers' to help my back, borrowed a most beautiful belt from one of his friends to hold me up, and we did vegas. {still have the belt to this day]. Went to an offshore race down in St Tropez. and got talking to some of the americans about 1985, and one of them said Pruett had died after a short illness. Like you Joe, i could write a book about him, not even Cochise and Geronimo lived the life like Billy Don Pruett did. Your right, this is the internet-------and most of his exploits are to be told around, B.B.Q.s and wherever old racers shoot the breeze. The telling is not for tender ears. We became special friends , and its only now i realize that all Pruetts friends were special. One thing is for absolute certain, you could never forget the bugger. Take care Joe, Jackie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stories

I'd like to hear some of those stories. I'll bet alot of us would. Thanks. Smitty

Page 22 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 72 122 ... LastLast