User Tag List

Page 14 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 64 114 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, now I'm getting confused.
    Are you telling me the T-II was a one year motor? 1973
    The C-6 wasn't a T-II and was a 1400 block? How does either one get to be a 1400 or 1500 blocks they were totally different from the production 1400 or 1500. I thought all of the T-II motors were the same basic block.
    I was also under the impression the oval carbs were Mercarbs and only used one year unsuccessfully, that's why the change to the Tillotsons.
    I was under the impression the C-6 was the correct name for the motor and the advertised public name was the Twister II or T-II

Which motor isthis; Isn't this the T-I with the Super Six on the back and the T-II type cowl?

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...1&d=1163712225
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t1a.jpg  
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    You bonehead......
    I beg your pardon........ In my day to day communications I insist on being referred to with respect and decorum..... so please refer to me in a more professional manner. In the future you will kindly refer to me as MISTER... Bonehead.

you bonehead.....

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G
    The C-6 wasn't a T-II and was a 1400 block? How does either one get to be a 1400 or 1500 blocks they were totally different from the production 1400 or 1500. I thought all of the T-II motors were the same basic block.
    I was also under the impression the oval carbs were Mercarbs and only used one year unsuccessfully, that's why the change to the Tillotsons.
    I was under the impression the C-6 was the correct name for the motor and the advertised public name was the Twister II or T-II

Which motor isthis; Isn't this the T-I with the Super Six on the back and the T-II type cowl?

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...1&d=1163712225
    "T-1 with a T-II type cowl"..........???????????? I don't believe such a critter ever existed.

By the way...ya gotta love the Ride Guide steering.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Mr. Lanphear emailed me a few years ago regarding this time period. He told me that development of the C-6 was actually split into 2 separate groups, one headed by himself and the other by Dr. Morgan. Lanphear's group was using Tillotson carbs and Morgan's group the square carbs and extra exhaust tuning. Things slowed up and Merc tightened it's budget and cut back on staff, Morgan stayed, Lanphear left and the C-6 stuff that was already working from each group was combined to make the T-2 ... Tillotson carbs & the extended exhaust tuning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

In reverse order .... nope not a T-1 in any way. I'm very certain it is a 6 carb pre-T2 factory team motor ... a C-6 (because it has no other name). I think the mid is actually a BP mid, it has the bosses for the lower cover under the cowl.

"C-6" unfortunately is used by many folks for all of the 6 carbed inlines, whether they be un-named prototypes, Super Sixes, T-2's or T-IIX's. Mercury never officially called any motor a C-6. I'd say that it is unfortunate that so many people call all of them C-6's, because it is quite confusing. When I write "C-6" I am always refering to motors made before 1973 ... pre T-2.

Yes, the T-2 was a one year motor (or year and a half, whatever)

As per my post quoting Mr. Lanphear ... pre T-2 C-6's were tested and probably raced in both configuations for a year or two ... unless Willabee is certain no Tillotson carbed C-6's were out for racing at the same time as the Morgan's. The impression I got from Lanphear was that they were.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11-16-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was afraid that I was going to confuse someone, sorry about that. Yes, the TII was a 1973 engine.....Yes, the C6 wasn't a TII and used a 1400 block.....Yes, the TII and TIIX used a 1500 block.....I don't remember the manufacturer of the square (actually rectangular, not oval) carbs and they were used for about a year and one-half.....I sure wouldn't say they were unsuccessful, we won one hell of a lot of races with them. They were just too tempermental to put out to the public.....No, C6 was used internally for the square carber and TII publically for the Tillotson carber.....The engine in your photo is a C6 (thank you for that, now I know what the rear cowl said).....Mister Bonehead is correct, there is no such thing as a TI hiding under a TII cowl.....As for the photo, T2X astutely called out the steering. What I think Merc did was take one of the older boats we were not racing and paint it to look like the boat Renato and Hering used to finish 1st single at Havasu in 1971 so it could be sent to dealers for advertising purposes, it ran with a C6.....here is a shot of it with Hering behind the wheel and you can see that it did race with cable steering ......another of the same boat, but color picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB68&69 061.jpg   hot singles 118.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 11-17-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x
    "T-1 with a T-II type cowl"..........???????????? I don't believe such a critter ever existed.

By the way...ya gotta love the Ride Guide steering.

T2x
    For one thing the belly pan wouldn't work as the exhaust configurations were totally different.
    Bear 45/70

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Bill of Rights gives me the power to NOT have to apologize for someone else's "gun phobia."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did buy that motor several years later. I ran it in Mod 100. It had a 10 bolt base with TC 3B Tillotsons. All the internals were T2. Not sure if Mercury ever said this motor existed but I sure owned it. Like I said in an earlier post, the powerhead has been gone for 20 years but still have the mid with a different powerhead.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91
    I did buy that motor several years later. I ran it in Mod 100. It had a 10 bolt base with TC 3B Tillotsons. All the internals were T2. Not sure if Mercury ever said this motor existed but I sure owned it. Like I said in an earlier post, the powerhead has been gone for 20 years but still have the mid with a different powerhead.
    Any possiblity that someone before you built the motor from "parts"? A 135 block over a BP mid with a later six carb front, internals and cowl?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    I was afraid that I was going to confuse someone, sorry about that. Yes, the TII was a 1973 engine.....Yes, the C6 wasn't a TII and used a 1400 block.....Yes, the TII and TIIX used a 1500 block.....I don't remember the manufacturer of the square (actually rectangular, not oval) carbs and they were used for about a year and one-half.....I sure wouldn't say they were unsuccessful, we won one hell of a lot of races with them. They were just too tempermental to put out to the public.....No, C6 was used internally for the square carber and TII publically for the Tillotson carber.....
    I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it. I've yet to look at a T2 that had a 1500 block. I've never seen one that had powerported pistons and the corresponding slot in the cyl wall, and don't think they exist.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything is possible. The porting was pretty extreme. It sure looked factory. Someone would have had to do a lot of work. I know it was a very strong engine. I bought it from a racer that owned a marina in Bothel,Wa if this rings a bell to anyone. It has been too long for me to remember his name. At the time he told me it was a Mercury factory motor.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91
    Anything is possible. The porting was pretty extreme. It sure looked factory. Someone would have had to do a lot of work. I know it was a very strong engine. I bought it from a racer that owned a marina in Bothel,Wa if this rings a bell to anyone. It has been too long for me to remember his name. At the time he told me it was a Mercury factory motor.
    Ahhh, the world famous Rick Adams. Anything is possible out of Rick's shop. I used to race against his mechanic all the time.
    Bear 45/70

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Bill of Rights gives me the power to NOT have to apologize for someone else's "gun phobia."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman
    I'm sorry, but I just don't believe it. I've yet to look at a T2 that had a 1500 block. I've never seen one that had powerported pistons and the corresponding slot in the cyl wall, and don't think they exist.
    I've seen a couple of TII setups with 1500XS blocks (usually after a blown engine and a race the next weekend), but they never ran as well as a real TII or TIIX.
    Bear 45/70

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SportJ-US-1
    I've seen a couple of TII setups with 1500XS blocks (usually after a blown engine and a race the next weekend), but they never ran as well as a real TII or TIIX.
    Actually I meant factory equipped with a 1500 block. I HAVE seen a couple of em done by individuals. The point I was trying to make was, I don't think Merc used any power ported block/piston combos in factory T2 or T2X's, and since I'm not aware of any difference between a '72 1400 block and the subsequent 1500 ones except for the hole in the cyl wall for the power port, I don't understand the distinction.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1400/1500 blocks

Well here is my two cents. About the only things that were common between the TII,TIIX and 1400/1500 was the block foot print, rod and pin bearings. Now you real detailed guys may find other details but thats about it. I struggle to remember some of this stuff and I looked at it everyday. The production engines were referenced in context with the race engines because they were our flagship engines at the time so Marketing used it to their advantage.
    There was so much going on at that time I'm supprised that Bill can remember the details he does, especially decals used. I sure can't and I came later. Believe me I sucked up every detail on all the Merc race engines at that time and thought that I new quite a bit until I see what everyone is coming up with on this site. And I'm sorry to say some of it is way out in left field. But that is the way legends continue.

Sam: I'm sure that Bill can give some details of the competition between Plant 6 and Plant 12 (Morgan/Lanphear). I believe it was quite intense in the 60's and early 70's. Dick did not leave Mercury but stayed on as, I believe, the Director of Large Outboards when Morgan became VP of Engineering. I too saw him a few years ago and he still looked the same. He came strolling into plant 6 when I was there doing a video shoot. Couldn't believe he remembered who I was.

Page 14 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 64 114 ... LastLast