Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over 200 boats compete in the 1962 Gold Coast Marathon.

Here is a collage of what were Hot Singles in South Florida 1962.

Dave Craig's U1 Switzer Wing with 160 HP was a top finisher, but the E99 with twice the horsepower was the overall winner.

If I could go back in time and only had one race to be able to compete in, then this is my overall choice. The GCM from Miami to West Palm Beach, and back to Miami the following day. A single outboard rig is all that I request to participant with. The Top O' Michigan is near the top of my wish list too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1962 GCM fleet - 200 boats.JPG 
Views:	636 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	451963

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was fortunate to do this race twice. It was an unforgettable experience.

3. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. Likes Lake X Kid, shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you are old when you can id many of the drivers in those pictures.

7. Likes GENE LANHAM, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Long Molinari" the 21 footer in Como race shop.

This might be a photo of the 21' Long Molinari, that you are referring to.
    As I remember Carlo Rassini was Don Purett co-driver in this boat for Paris 1971.

That is Giorgio Molinari, Me, Willabee and another guy standing at the 21 footer's bow. And
    Bob Hering looking back toward us.

Name:	Como shop with single engine on triple transom boat..-001.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	452445

Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    In the article referencing the "long Molinari" for Paris, Zikes is talking about a 21' twin that Renato had built for himself to run special events in Europe. One of the ideas for the 1971 race was to take that big boat, put a C6 on it and set it up to go as fast as that engine could push it. It would be able to get over water that would cause the faster but smaller hulls to back off and maybe it would be able to average a better pace around the course as a result.

I think this idea was the result of Merc running a 16' sprint in Paris the year before and then listening to Jim Merten, Bill Sirois and Tom Stickle talk about how difficult and dangerous it was to try to keep that little speed demon on the water. Anyway, the decision was made and a couple of C6 powerheads were built by Dr. Ted Morgans's group in Fond du Lac and sent to us for transport to Italy with the rest of our equipment.

When I looked at those powerheads, I remember seeing some things that I thought would never last the rigors of a six hour run on the rough River Seine. The way that they were mounted was not strong enough. I also noticed that the side plate used to mount the electrical components was made from about 1/2" stainless, a huge overkill! I decided that I would make some changes before they were crated for shipment.....turns out, not a good idea.

Don't remember why, but do recall that when I went to mount the coil to the new, lighter aluminum plate, I was unable to use the mounting bracket the guys in Fondy had fabricated. Ultimately, I took a standard bracket, did some grinding and trimming and presto, I had my mount. Finished the other mods and smiled.....(I thought) they were better than received.

To no surprise, the boat proved to be the slowest of our six entrys, with Billy Don Pruett seeing speeds that peaked around 85. But it was stable, turned well and had decent accelleration (it was a lightweight 21'). Off to Paris and into the race. Although it never challenged for the lead, my recollection is that it ran in the top ten on the lead lap. As attrition continued to improve the water conditions, it probably wasn't going to challenge for the lead. The question was going to be whether or not the boats in front of it would stay upright and/or break something that would take them out. Unfortunately, it turned out that it didn't matter if either of those scenarios would take place.

I don't remember how deep into the race it was, but I'm guessing hour number five. It didn't come back on a return leg and then, finally, we saw that a safety boat had it in tow. Pruett said "it just quit running" and we hooked it to the crane and put it on the trailer. I went up to take a peak (we didn't want anyone to see what was under the hood) and was 'shocked' when I gave the cowl a lift. There was the ignition coil laying on the lower pan.....one of my 'great engineering changes' to get that powerhead through a six hour race had failed! I had ground the mounting bracket too thin and it had broken completely. Although intentions were good, results stunk and intentions didn't rank too high on anyones 'happy meter' that day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Race Boat 888 proved there is more to the equation of speed, then mere horsepower.

The first Molinari tunnel hull to compete in the USA, back in the mid 1960’s, comes to life again at Tavares Florida 2019. Robert Ridgell (Roy Ridgell’s brother) towed the restored boat from Texas to the Florida Vintage Raceboat Club event in November. It shared the pits with a Raveau, Schultz, Seebold, Glastron Molinari and Switzer Wings.

Bob Schubert restored the boat after Tracy Hawkins informed Bob, that he saw the boat on the side of the rode with a for sale sign. Tom Smyth mated a vintage engine (an engine earlier owned by Jan Schoonover) to this boat. Tom claims this prototype 1100 model had a limited production run of only 15 engines.

Race Boat 888
    came to prominence in 1966 when, Roy Ridgell piloted the single engine tunnel boat to 5th place overall. In the Gold Coast Marathon race, Miami to West Palm Beach and back the following day, 888 out performed/raced rigs with twice the horsepower. In Europe, 888’s sister driven by Renato Molinari won the 1966 Paris 6 Hour, over 90 runabouts.

And now she’s back. 888 and her single Merc power, begins the pursuit of periodically joining the vintage race events. Thus the wooden 888 position her place among her fellow vintage contemporaries.

photos: Bill Seebold and Roy Ridgell's sons Timothy & Steven.

Name:	888, Tim & Bill Seebold.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	453627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	888 engine & brochure.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	453628

10. Likes RogerH, Mugs914 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran in the 1966 Gold Coast and I remember that boat. I think that was the only time I ever saw it. I was kind of new to the sport at the time and I didn't realize what a breakthrough it was. Two years later I ran my first tunnel boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary Garbrecht would dictate who won — did Gary also dictate the winner at OMC?

Team Mercury – part 2: Reggie Fountain January 2012
    The Spirit of ’76
    “The 1976 World Championship in St. Louis was the most memorable race for me. Renato Molinari…ran brand new Molinari hulls. By now, Billy Seebold was building his own boat….We were running methanol in the engines back then. OMC ran aviation fuel with nitrous.

Reggie Fountain said, “Gary Garbrecht would dictate who won each event. He directed traffic to ensure his pick won. If one crashed – the others would split it up. The boats were close in performance. If it wasn’t [sic] for Gary’s manipulation, Billy would have won all the time. ”

“For the ’76 World Championships….Garbrecht came to me and said, ‘You’re going to win this race. Don’t worry about your engine. It’s good. Don’t worry about the other team members. Just drive.’….I definitely had an advantage that day,” said Reggie.

-------
    I wonder did Gary G also dictate winners, when he was at the helm of OMC racing?
    This also declares that Bill Seebold, sacrificed some possible wins and let other Merc teammates win.
    I knew Gary G had massive control, but to dictate winners is impressive (and deplorable at the same time) dominate control.
    Until now I was naive to this manipulation by the late Gary G.

Team Mercury link.
    https://www.mercuryracing.com/team-m...ggie-fountain/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tunnel Boats made Singles Hot - here is Molinari design hulls that contributed to Hot

Here are some Molinari tunnel race boats, in design time-frame sequence.

Boat 888 the 1965 - 1966 look.
    Boat 46 the 1967 - 1968 look.
    Boat 12 the late 1960's design.
    Picklefork 1972 - 1973 design.

Renato Molinari on one of his first pickleforks, leaves the Como shop heading out on Como Lake to test.
    Boat 888 the first Molinari hull to race in the USA. Piloted by Mercury factory team driver Roy Ridgell.

Name:	Molinari hulls evolution.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	453718

14. Likes RogerH, Mark75H, Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Team Mercury – part 2: Reggie Fountain January 2012
    The Spirit of ’76
    “The 1976 World Championship in St. Louis was the most memorable race for me. Renato Molinari…ran brand new Molinari hulls. By now, Billy Seebold was building his own boat….We were running methanol in the engines back then. OMC ran aviation fuel with nitrous.

Reggie Fountain said, “Gary Garbrecht would dictate who won each event. He directed traffic to ensure his pick won. If one crashed – the others would split it up. The boats were close in performance. If it wasn’t [sic] for Gary’s manipulation, Billy would have won all the time. ”

“For the ’76 World Championships….Garbrecht came to me and said, ‘You’re going to win this race. Don’t worry about your engine. It’s good. Don’t worry about the other team members. Just drive.’….I definitely had an advantage that day,” said Reggie.

I wonder did Gary G also dictate winners, when he was at the helm of OMC racing?
    This also declares that Bill Seebold, sacrificed some possible wins and let other Merc teammates win.
    I knew Gary G had massive control, but to dictate winners is impressive (and deplorable at the same time) dominate control.
    Until now I was naive to this manipulation by the late Gary G.

Team Mercury link.
    https://www.mercuryracing.com/team-m...ggie-fountain/
    Don’t count Earl out of this conversation. If I remember right he had the fastest boat in St Louis 76.
    Say what you want about GG. It wasn’t dominate control it was total control. Winning was everything.
    I wish he was still here to respond but knowing him he would just smile and stay quiet.
    Jackie could say a whole lot more on this.

16. Thanks Watermark thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    Don’t count Earl out of this conversation. If I remember right he had the fastest boat in St Louis 76.
    Say what you want about GG. It wasn’t dominate control it was total control. Winning was everything.
    I wish he was still here to respond but knowing him he would just smile and stay quiet.
    Jackie could say a whole lot more on this.

You're right Mike! Taking absolutely nothing away from Bill or Reggie, Earl was as fast or faster than anyone. Was he flashy, or gabby...no. Was he out to show the world how good he was....nope. He was just a quiet guy, who followed team orders, and could out drive just about anyone on the course. That's why GG hired him. He was good, followed orders, and made the TEAM better. Just my opinion, mind you, but that's formed by years of watching Earl do what he does best....driving a race boat for all it's worth.

18. Likes Watermark liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Zonkercraft;3176777]You're right Mike! Taking absolutely nothing away from Bill or Reggie, Earl was as fast or faster than anyone. Was he flashy, or gabby...no. Was he out to show the world how good he was....nope. He was just a quiet guy, who followed team orders, and could out drive just about anyone on the course. That's why GG hired him. He was good, followed orders, and made the TEAM better. Just my opinion, mind you, but that's formed by years of watching Earl do what he does best....driving a race boat for all it's worth.[/QUOTE
    Chick: I couldn’t have said it any better. You are spot on.
    I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like the new business is doing well.]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=mbd29;3176877]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonkercraft View Post
    You're right Mike! Taking absolutely nothing away from Bill or Reggie, Earl was as fast or faster than anyone. Was he flashy, or gabby...no. Was he out to show the world how good he was....nope. He was just a quiet guy, who followed team orders, and could out drive just about anyone on the course. That's why GG hired him. He was good, followed orders, and made the TEAM better. Just my opinion, mind you, but that's formed by years of watching Earl do what he does best....driving a race boat for all it's worth.[/QUOTE
    Chick: I couldn’t have said it any better. You are spot on.
    I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like the new business is doing well.]
    No, No, No,—— Bentz did not always do as he was told—— Remember the COSWORTH K T, he ran at the Miami Marine Stadium.
    Duckworth had me fly in with him, (just in case I was needed).
    ALL the “Mighty” KT’s in the world were gathered ——- Bentz was supposed to hold back until the last lap.
    Instead, he took off —- like the proverbial “Bat outa hell”—— After two laps he was passing back markers—— after ten laps, he’d lapped the whole field !
    Mr Ricky was like a demented Gippetto—— dancing up and down—— swore blind he would personally see to it that a COSWORTH motor was never again raced in the USA!
    His long time girl friend was racing a very hot KT (KEITH Black motor and all the chrome) called BIG DEE, she was annihilated along with all the other KT’s.
    If GG was a tad upset, he kept it to himself—— Rocky Aoki held a celebration dinner for all the boaters at his pad on the waterfront.
    Willabee knows more about this than anyone alive today——- in fact—- he said that race sounded the death knell for KT racing in the USA.

21. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jackiewilson;3176905]
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    No, No, No,—— Bentz did not always do as he was told—— Remember the COSWORTH K T, he ran at the Miami Marine Stadium.
    Duckworth had me fly in with him, (just in case I was needed).
    ALL the “Mighty” KT’s in the world were gathered ——- Bentz was supposed to hold back until the last lap.
    Instead, he took off —- like the proverbial “Bat outa hell”—— After two laps he was passing back markers—— after ten laps, he’d lapped the whole field !
    Mr Ricky was like a demented Gippetto—— dancing up and down—— swore blind he would personally see to it that a COSWORTH motor was never again raced in the USA!
    His long time girl friend was racing a very hot KT (KEITH Black motor and all the chrome) called BIG DEE, she was annihilated along with all the other KT’s.
    If GG was a tad upset, he kept it to himself—— Rocky Aoki held a celebration dinner for all the boaters at his pad on the waterfront.
    Willabee knows more about this than anyone alive today——- in fact—- he said that race sounded the death knell for KT racing in the USA.
    Jackie, how often did someone other than you drive the Cosworth?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mark75H;3176923]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post

Jackie, how often did someone other than you drive the Cosworth?
    The COSWORTH had a very short competitive life———- less than year culminating at Parker in 1979.
    Brett May was the only other driver to put his bum in the seat in a competition, although Seebold did do a couple of test laps at Chasewater ( World F1 championship 1978 !)
    No one else has ever driven tha boat!
    It’s career lasted less than a year—— first race was Bristol ‘June ‘78—— last race was Parker early ‘79-
    —— I did a deal with KEITH Duckworth—- he got to keep the boat—- he owned the motor anyway.
    Years later the boat went to the Watt Tyler Maritime Museum in Essex until it closed down and the boat was left outside for a week——— Mark did a deal with COSWORTH—— he shipped the boat to the USA where it currently remains.
    It still has a dummy engine installed——- still looking for an affordable DFV motor ?

24. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
Page 267 of 348 FirstFirst ... 167 217 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 317 ... LastLast