Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Didn't mean to leave this hanging, just can't find the answer that I posted about it several years ago and I wanted to be consistent. I thought it was a few pages after the question, but I've searched and can't find it.

The 1350 stacker powerhead on the stock 1350 dsh cut out on top end due to a harmonic vibration that came from the stacks through the rubber motor mounts. Everyone knows that simple harmonic motion is a special type of periodic motion or oscillation where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the direction opposite to that of displacement. In other words, install solid mounts and your problem goes away!

Attachment 450641

Attachment 450639
    Thank you for clearing that up. All of that technical engineering jargon is way above my pay grade.

Harmonic motion...periodic motion...oscillation...restoring force...Yeah...that is exactly what I thought was causing the issue...

2. Likes Lake X Kid, willabee liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it (or not) in layman terms. The rubber motor mounts created a different oscillation, then the displacement harmonics. and therefore is not directly proportional.
    And then its shake and bake, of the unwanted encounter. And if my interruption is wrong then, I am jumping in the water to cool off with or without a life jacket.

Didn't mean to leave this hanging,

The 1350 stacker powerhead on the stock 1350 dsh cut out on top end due to a harmonic vibration that came from the stacks through the rubber motor mounts. Everyone knows that simple harmonic motion is a special type of periodic motion or oscillation where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the direction opposite to that of displacement. In other words, install solid mounts and your problem goes away!

Attachment 450641

Attachment 450639

4. Likes GENE LANHAM, willabee liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can’t get Bob Spading engine to start. “Go tell Roy."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up. All of that technical engineering jargon is way above my pay grade.

Harmonic motion...periodic motion...oscillation...restoring force...Yeah...that is exactly what I thought was causing the issue...
    We can’t get Bob Spading engine to start.Go tell Roy.”

Now that Willabee has disclosed the misfire solution, I will offer (Bob, Rick LaMore and me) our dilemma. We are on the Bristol starting dock. I did already say I, liked the racing at Bristol. “Back in the Saddle Again.”

It is 1973 to be exact. Team Mercury is prepared for the challenge. The drivers meeting in the pit area is over, and the spectator crowd is lining the Bristol Docks. It’s staging time. Boats with drivers onboard are lifted and placed on the water by the crane operators. In this commercial area, I don’t see a place to beach a damaged boat here, its float or sink.

This makeshift floating dock —most of it is a floating walkway (see attached photo) that connects the bank to a little barge. Here at this waterfront of Bristol is a very blue collar looking atmosphere. So we all, the team members are positioning ourselves on the walkway/dock, as the boats arrive. Rick and I hookup with Bob, and I see Pellilio looking at me, as he motors over to the starting dock.

Yards away just standing on the walkway, is my friend Don W, (former Lake X employee whom circled the lake). I yell to Don, and then point to Pellilio Giovanni (forgive me for misspelling your Italian name) in his red Molinari. Pellilio sees me, and now knows he has a staging partner at the starting dock.

“Drivers 5 minutes to go,”
    the race announcers bellows over the race course. A lot of the drivers are starting their engines now for a few seconds. Why I am not sure. Maybe a security thing that it will start, or to keep the spark plugs clean after idling to the starting dock, I’m sure it’s a mechanical thing or psychological comfort.

We can’t get Bob Spading engine to start. “Go tell Roy,” Rick LaMore tells me.
    to be continued...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bristol starting walkway - dock..JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	450650

6. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can’t get Bob Spading engine to start. “Go tell Roy,” ... and the simple solution.

We can’t get Bob Spading engine to start. “Go tell Roy,” Rick LaMore tells me.

I don’t remember Bob saying a word, but the excitement is in the air. So now in hast, I have to squeeze past Don and all the other guys standing on the narrow floating walkway. I look for
    Roy Ridgell, and he is not in the adjacent watching area between the race course and the pit area.

The race is about to start and were do I find Roy. My dad is in the pit area, nonchalantly talking to the likes of race promoters and media. I interrupt his calm demeanor with an urgent problem. And with (I will call it years of experience) he tells me to trim the motor. What that’s it.

I hurry back to the starting dock, and tell Rick. And Bob trims the motor,and voila,
    she cranks up
    . To this day, I do not remember if we trimmed the motor out or in. I’m thinking dad knew we flooded it and it needed trimming out, or he had us trim it inward to receive a better fuel intake. Either way or why I am not sure, but thankfully it started.

And after all that, I still did not here Bob say a word. But over to my left standing on the dock and not the walkway, was Tom Percival. I am thinking what is going on. “Drivers 2 minutes to go,” the announcer informs drivers and spectators. Tom is not in his boat like all the rest of the race drivers. What has Tom and Roy been drinking today, that they are indifferent to the urgency of the moment.

So four or five boat stalls away, I yell over to Tom. “Tom two minutes to go.” And Tom with a couple guys in his entourage, and his pretty wife Jillian, looks at me -acknowledges and smiles. If it was my home Grand Prix, I would have been minutes earlier mentally mapping my strategy, for the race inside the cockpit.

So the race starts (I do not remember if it was Saturday, but I think it was Sunday’s race). And who returns leading the first lap, and to my surprise , it is Tom Percival and Bob Spading in close pursuit. The Union Jack Brits are leading the pack. If I remember correctly two or three laps later Bob passes Tom. But a few laps later the maestro flies to the front. And wins and that is why they call Renato Molinari the maestro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bristol 1973 - Bob & Renato..jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	450651

8. Likes GENE LANHAM, shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't mean to leave this hanging, just can't find the answer that I posted about it several years ago and I wanted to be consistent. I thought it was a few pages after the question, but I've searched and can't find it.

Attachment 450641

Attachment 450639
    Bill---uh-but-uh--I uh would uh like to say something???

I THINK Mert and I were the last to run Stackers on a stock DSH??

The 'adapter' came out in 69--and all the 1350s and stackers ran the adapter on the SBP DSH---

Now if I can get Bob V to teach me to post big pictures again!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post

Running light on fuel at Parker--and using the 7000+ Switch Boxes--and the engines 'cut out'---

You didn't need a Keller--

You knew you were hauling 'ARSE'----

11. Likes Bob V, shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"U" Class .....

The 'adapter' came out in 69--and all the 1350s and stackers ran the adapter on the SBP DSH---

Now if I can get Bob V to teach me to post big pictures again!!!!
    Sounds like you're 'cutting out', a bit like a misfire?

The situation with the cutting out happened with the stock dsh, not the BP housing. I think I said we were trying to run the same boat in 'U' & 'S' and only have to change powerheads between heats. That must be wrong, it probably was 'SJ' & 'S' we were running. Bet there were a couple of hot OMC powered 'SJ' boats Merc wanted to beat. What was Titus running in 'SJ' in 1970?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Boat Mag 021.jpg  

13. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're 'cutting out', a bit like a misfire?

The situation with the cutting out happened with the stock dsh, not the BP housing. I think I said we were trying to run the same boat in 'U' & 'S' and only have to change powerheads between heats. That must be wrong, it probably was 'SJ' & 'S' we were running. Bet there were a couple of hot OMC powered 'SJ' boats Merc wanted to beat. What was Titus running in 'SJ' in 1970?
    Photo is from 1970 Nationals at the Stadium...but you probably knew that. Jeff won I and J with this rig switching 1000 and 1250 (non BP) powerheads. This Scat actually belonged to Danny Critchfield. Jeff won U in his own Scat with a V4 Johnson...the model with the all-white cowling. He also ran this U rig in S but lost to Jimbo. He further ran Family J with a glass Sabre that Bill Critchfield owned. He got a bad start and crashed-out in the first turn trying to make up for it.

15. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronster43 View Post
    photo is from 1970 nationals at the stadium...but you probably knew that. Jeff won i and j with this rig switching 1000 and 1250 (non bp) powerheads. This scat actually belonged to danny critchfield. Jeff won u in his own scat with a v4 johnson...the model with the all-white cowling. He also ran this u rig in s but lost to jimbo. He further ran family j with a glass sabre that bill critchfield owned. He got a bad start and crashed-out in the first turn trying to make up for it.
    ???? Ron??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRITCH TITUS.jpeg  

17. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ???? Ron??
    Wow! Thanks Gene!! I'll show this to Dad. He told me about this day. Mr K invited Jeff to Lake X to test. He was conflicted because Jack Leek was furnishing his motors. He told Jack before he went, who said it was fine just don't let them inspect the GT115. He first ran the OMC with the above documented results. Then they removed the GT115 and left it hanging on the hoist. Dad wrapped a blanket around the powerhead and told "them" not to look at it. They rigged the BP and he went out to test it. When he came back, Carl had removed the blanket and was poking around. Dad was upset...things were said...but, as noted above, the BP was faster. So he went home with it. ;-)

19. Likes GENE LANHAM, shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Rick LaMore was a gentleman. I was prone to go hang with Bob Spalding in evenings away from the race course, or join Don Pruett on some of his late night outings, but not Rick.

At the Amsterdam race, Gary Garbretch told Rick and I to stay at the canal near the hotel, in case one of the drivers arrived with mechanical issues during the race. We could not see the race course from this canal position. I did not voice my disappointment but it must of have registered on my face, because like an older brother Rick tried to console me, of us not witnessing the race.

And then after the Bristol race in 1973. Rick and my younger brother drove a company van back to Como, Italy. And one of my high school buddies that summer came to Europe, and after the race, I told Rick to let us off in Paris (my friend wanted to see the Eiffel Tower). So in the van we hit Paris stop and go traffic, and when we could see the tower, I had Rick pull over and let us out.

We were doing the Eurail Pass for 60 days, and after Paris, my friend and I headed to Pamplona Spain for the running of the bulls.

Thanks Rick for the friendship. And also tolerating me, when I came back late to the Koblenz hotel room, after having found some female companionship earlier.

Post# 3735:
    Rick was a joy to work with. We worked together on a number of projects, first in OPC and later in Offshore. Always a gentleman and never one to beat around the bush. He was very focused yet amiable..... a truly good guy...and a great loss.
    Rest in Peace big fella....
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

23. Likes Lake X Kid, willabee, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Trim & Tunnel Boats are paramount game changers for Hot Singles.

Outside of power trim & tunnel boats, I am hard press to find greater performance leaps for Hot Singles. With Dieter Schultz and Angelo Molinari 1960’s tunnel cats being the forerunners to present day formula one tunnel boats. They paved the waterways for single outboard tunnels to start dominating circuit racing, over the other designs i.e. vee hulls, hydros, etc. And later offshore racing started following suit too.

In my limited observation Power Trim, provides a second (if not a third) gear, to the gear case’ single forward gear. Trim (like a lower gear) to get over the boat’s own bow wake —bass boaters & other fishing boats appreciate trim too. And then after getting on plane, Trim (like an overdrive gear) for maximum top end boat speed —it also makes pleasure boat owners happy too.

To me more horsepower & torque at the prop-shaft, and more prop blades are an evolutionary given. But coupled with Power Trim on a Tunnel Hull and the new kid, became a grownup combination. Case in point Formula One Outboard TunnelBoats (and their pleasure craft cousins), give inboard drivers some hesitation if not concern. This may be obvious to many, but I feel it needs to be echoed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronster43 View Post
    Wow! Thanks Gene!! I'll show this to Dad. He told me about this day. Mr K invited Jeff to Lake X to test. He was conflicted because Jack Leek was furnishing his motors. He told Jack before he went, who said it was fine just don't let them inspect the GT115. He first ran the OMC with the above documented results. Then they removed the GT115 and left it hanging on the hoist. Dad wrapped a blanket around the powerhead and told "them" not to look at it. They rigged the BP and he went out to test it. When he came back, Carl had removed the blanket and was poking around. Dad was upset...things were said...but, as noted above, the BP was faster. So he went home with it. ;-)
    More to the story...spoke to Jeff yesterday. The hull was his first Critchfield S-I needle nose. He believes that Dave Craig recommended Mercury ask him to test the new 1000BP. It wasn't Mr. K who was "inspecting" the GT115, it was Roy. He had removed a plug and was trying to measure the stroke with a screwdriver. Jim Hunt also got a new BP that day. Jeff believes those were the first 2 to go out. I'm sure Jim can add-to/correct the story if he's listening.

26. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronster43 View Post
    More to the story...spoke to Jeff yesterday. The hull was his first Critchfield S-I needle nose. He believes that Dave Craig recommended Mercury ask him to test the new 1000BP. It wasn't Mr. K who was "inspecting" the GT115, it was Roy. He had removed a plug and was trying to measure the stroke with a screwdriver. Jim Hunt also got a new BP that day. Jeff believes those were the first 2 to go out. I'm sure Jim can add-to/correct the story if he's listening.
    no corrections ron, just a little funny addition. we had a race in key west that weekend. i go to the lake to pick up the mccall/1000bp, on my way to key west. as i am leaving, i just happen to glance down the runway as i go out the gate. lo and behold, there sits jeff with his omc powered rig sitting at the far end of the runway. like any ole country boy, i knew sumpun was up. when i got to the race course, there is jeff with his new power. since then, jeff and i laugh about how you can hide on a runway.
    The "Wheel Man" of the Sunshine Syndicate

28. Likes Ronster43, GENE LANHAM, Lake X Kid liked this post
Page 266 of 348 FirstFirst ... 166 216 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 316 ... LastLast