Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I'm always up for a good story, please do tell.
    I wish I could say I was actually there to witness this, but this is from the story in the POWERBOAT & WATERSKIING issue.

Bristol 1982 Bill Seebold brought one boat but (2) powerheads. A 2 litre powerhead for ON and a 2 litre powerhead bored an extra cc so he could qualify to run OZ against the OMC V-8's.

Bill won the ON class and the Duke of York trophy for the 4th time.

But the amazing story is he also won the OZ class and the Embassy Gold Cup defeating the 3.5 litre OMC V8's. According to the story they only had about 17 minutes between the ON and OZ heats to change the powerheads. For the OZ final Seebold just made it to the starting dock a few seconds before the 1 minute gun with Leo his mechanic still on the boat fastening the cowl - Leo literally had to jump off the boat into the water.

Seebold later admitted that this was the most demanding and hardest race he ever drove. The Bristol crowd and even the OMC drivers were truly amazed.

I think there is also a really good POWERBOAT article about this race with a headline something like "SEEBOLD DEEP SIXES THE V8's".

Although I wasn't in Bristol in 1982 to personally witness this, I was there I think it was 1983 and it was spectacular !!
    Perhaps Jackie was there in 1982 because Mark Wilson finished second to Bill in the ON class.
    Last edited by peterse90; 11-05-2018 at 04:55 PM.

2. Likes Capt.Insane-o, rckid74, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4. Thanks peterse90 thanked for this post
    Likes Capt.Insane-o, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    I think there is also a really good POWERBOAT article about this race with a headline something like
    "SEEBOLD DEEP SIXES THE V8's".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powerboat - July 1982.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	422634

If I ever make it to "OFF" would love to have Bill Seebold recall this amazing race !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. Thanks peterse90 thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, I was there—— as Mark often says—— “IF IT HADNT BEEN FOR SEEBOLD, I COULD HAVE BEEN FAMOUS , —— I think he finished second to Billy five times!

Well, in about two hours time ——- they will both be at the gates to Lake X, no doubt stopping stories!

Incidentally Seebold has a “ BRISTOL ROOM” at his house!

9. Thanks peterse90 thanked for this post
    Likes peterse90 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Incidentally Seebold has a “ BRISTOL ROOM” at his house!
    Probably filled with a lot of boat that looks like matchsticks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough—— I don’t ever remember him destroying a boat——— just the opposition!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was Mike that blew one of the Budweiser Tunnels into matchsticks, Bill cruises up surveys the wreckage checks Mikes ok and calmly carries on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techteam View Post
    I think it was Mike that blew one of the Budweiser Tunnels into matchsticks, Bill cruises up surveys the wreckage checks Mikes ok and calmly carries on.
    Mikey really did blow a boat to bits in Bristol——- hop, skip and a bang—— FECKIN boat just exploded!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Bill could race a boat that hard running it in two classes at Bristol and not put a scratch on it. What he did in that race could be called a great feat in any motor sport, not just boat racing.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Annihilates OMC ! ....

Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    I wish I could say I was actually there to witness this, but this is from the story in the POWERBOAT & WATERSKIING issue.

Bristol 1982 Bill Seebold brought one boat but (2) powerheads. A 2 litre powerhead for ON and a 2 litre powerhead bored an extra cc so he could qualify to run OZ against the OMC V-8's.

Bill won the ON class and the Duke of York trophy for the 4th time.

But the amazing story is he also won the OZ class and the Embassy Gold Cup defeating the 3.5 litre OMC V8's. According to the story they only had about 17 minutes between the ON and OZ heats to change the powerheads. For the OZ final Seebold just made it to the starting dock a few seconds before the 1 minute gun with Leo his mechanic still on the boat fastening the cowl - Leo literally had to jump off the boat into the water.

Seebold later admitted that this was the most demanding and hardest race he ever drove. The Bristol crowd and even the OMC drivers were truly amazed.

I think there is also a really good POWERBOAT article about this race with a headline something like "SEEBOLD DEEP SIXES THE V8's".
    I'm so late in responding to this post that I should change my name to "Jackie".

I sure could be wrong, but I think the bored 2 liter might be a wives tale. I don't remember there being a minimum displacement to run in OZ? However, I think I remember Tom Stickle telling me about this race. Tom spent several years as an integral part of the Seebold team and knows all of the 'inside' stuff.

I will ask Tom to get on here and tell the story. In the meantime, I'll say that I think the plan was to build big horsepower 'throw away' powerheads for the OZ race and the challenge was to be able to change them in the time allotted between heats. They pulled it off, one hell of an effort .....

Can you imagine the 'sh-tstorm posting that article "Seebold Deep Sixes the V-8's" would have caused if it had been posted on a different S & F thread? Kinda makes you want to start singing that all time fun song , "Whoops there goes another rubber tree, whoops there goes another rubber tree, whoops there goes another rubber tree plant"!

16. Likes peterse90 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Jackie just spent quite a bit of time with Bill at OFF. I wonder if they talked about this at all?
    Last edited by peterse90; 12-14-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I'm so late in responding to this post that I should change my name to "Jackie".

I sure could be wrong, but I think the bored 2 liter might be a wives tale. I don't remember there being a minimum displacement to run in OZ? However, I think I remember Tom Stickle telling me about this race. Tom spent several years as an integral part of the Seebold team and knows all of the 'inside' stuff.

I will ask Tom to get on here and tell the story. In the meantime, I'll say that I think the plan was to build big horsepower 'throw away' powerheads for the OZ race and the challenge was to be able to change them in the time allotted between heats. They pulled it off, one hell of an effort .....

Can you imagine the 'sh-tstorm posting that article "Seebold Deep Sixes the V-8's" would have caused if it had been posted on a different S & F thread? Kinda makes you want to start singing that all time fun song , "Whoops there goes another rubber tree, whoops there goes another rubber tree, whoops there goes another rubber tree plant"!
    Well I was there to see this race it was a few years after I quit racing I always took my son to see the Bristol race every year because if Seebold was running it would always be a good race to watch but you all can see this race just google BRISTOL POWERBOAT RACE 1982.
    SP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold/Bristol

Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    Well I was there to see this race it was a few years after I quit racing I always took my son to see the Bristol race every year because if Seebold was running it would always be a good race to watch but you all can see this race just google BRISTOL POWERBOAT RACE 1982.
    SP
    Thanks very much for the heads-up about the Bristol 82 film. Just watched it ..... Man, he sure took everything that boat could give, what a driver!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would get HOT SINGLES going again with one of my favourite pictures (a Rod Flint photo from Powerboat August 1975 - Firebird Lake);
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close up 190.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	427390

21. Likes Bob V, Mugs914 liked this post
Page 247 of 348 FirstFirst ... 147 197 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 297 347 ... LastLast