User Tag List

Page 1 of 348 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 51 101 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Singles ! - Pictures

From the Golden Era

Found some old pictures ( don't know why I keep saying that, hell....all my stuff is old )

#254 - Tom Stickle - 17' Molinari sprint - 1350 stacker - 1971 Parker 9 Hour - note his cowling is gone, must be trying to make up time lost in the pits - can't get much looser than this and still keep the " This Side Up " decal pointed in the right direction. I think this is the race he ran wearing a full leg cast, we had to use a super-sized shoehorn just to get him in that thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stickle Parker 71.jpg 
Views:	6263 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	365136

#251 - Mike Downard - 17' Molinari marathon - C6 - 1971 Parker 9 Hour - note the single pipe exhaust (loved that noise) - Mike seems to be saying " Yea, you can get just a little looser "

Name:	Downard Parker 71.jpg 
Views:	6357 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	365137
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.

2. Likes Lake X Kid, PurpleHaze94 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Keep Em Coming

...i Always Enjoy Your Posts And Pictures.

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you......here's a couple more

#457 - Bobby Hering - 17' Molinari pickle fork sprint - TII - Dayton - the Kaukauna record run boat 118 mph - laid out about as perfect as can be done

Name:	Hering Dayton.jpg 
Views:	6209 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	365138

#190 - Bill Seebold - 17' Molinari marathon - TII - looks like Morgan City - he and Hering stole that show - they were running the 1st version of the NED C6 - When I sent the Morgan City powerheads to Fond du Lac for dyno testing, I asked Dr. Morgan to pay special attention to 2 specific serial numbers. When he sent them back, he said that those 2 had pulled the most horsepower. After the race he said " Let me guess, Hering and Seebold had the 2 we discussed " . I nodded "yes". He smiled and said " You're not going to tell me what you guys did are you?" I smiled and shook my head "no"

Name:	Seebold Morgan City 1972.jpg 
Views:	6180 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	365139

Quote Originally Posted by specboatops
    ...i Always Enjoy Your Posts And Pictures.

Chris
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:10 AM.

5. Likes Lake X Kid, PurpleHaze94 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you're not disappointed that the pictures of 'Hot Singles" are of boats ..... here are a couple more

#148 - Dick Sherrer - Crusader hull - TII - Parker 9 Hour - laid out very nice

Name:	Dick Sherrer - Crusader.jpg 
Views:	6211 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	365140

#22 - Jackie Wilson - 17' Molinari marathon - Cowbell - Havasu 1970- If you have ever talked to Jackie, you know that every other sentence has a " bloody hooray " in it someplace. I had our boat painter make a couple of decals with that term on them. I presented them to Jackie at Havasu, he laughed and said that he would display them proudly I guess you can't see them the way this picture turned out, but that's what it says in the white rectangle just in front of his number.

Name:	Wilson Havasu 1970.jpg 
Views:	6203 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	365141
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple more...

#457 - Bobby Hering - 17' Molinari sprint - 1350 stacker - Havasu - on Sunday he set a record for distance covered by a single over a 4 hour period, breaking the one Tom Stickle had set the day before in an identical setup

Name:	Havasu Hering 1350.jpg 
Views:	6206 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	365142

#187 - Jim Merten - 16' Molinari sprint - 1250 - Miami Nationals - I might not have this exactly right because this was a strange deal, but here's the story.
    We took two of these 16' sprints to Lake X, one for Merten and the other for Bill Sirois. The idea was to run the standard version of the engine for what was "U" class and then put the stacked powerhead on to run "S". Sirois hadn't arrived yet, so Merten set up both "U" boats. We started on the stacker setups and found that the engines were cutting out on both boats on top end only. We pulled carbs apart, changed electrical components and changed complete powerheads, all with no success. I called engineers back in Wisconsin, but they all drew blanks also. To make matters worse, while a bunch of us were in the shop working on Merten's boat, he and Richie Powers were testing Sirois's boat. Merten told Powers to take it for a run in hopes that might give Richie a better idea of what was happening........Richie blew it over. Looking at the bright side of things, that did cut our problem in half

Name:	Racing on the Edge 005.jpg 
Views:	6211 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	365143

We finally figured out the problem and went down to Miami. If memory serves, Merten was feeling bad about Sirois not having a boat, so they agreed that one of them would run "U" and the other "S". This picture is Sirois driving.By the way, any of you guys got an idea on why those engines were cutting out ?
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.

8. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Brings Back Memories

As a kid a use to watch these events locally ( Rockford Il/ RockRiver ) I remember guy's like Art Kennedy Dick Ingabritsen ( probably spelled it wrong )
    Even saw Tim Seebolds first race, I believe it was class C he had a Orange tunnel that they had to weight the front of for him cuz he was such a little **** back then. At one point I think Alan Stoker and the mod vp stuff made its way into are area, sad, that stuff was great to watch and really brought the crowds out family entertainment at its best. Thanks again willabe for the great stuff your posting !!!

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

10. Likes Polaris6 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Stickle- " we had to use a super-sized shoehorn just to get him in that thing."

Willabee,

I saw Tom at the Cincinati Champ race this last summer......and he hasn't gotten any smaller! What a nice guy, though. Did he ever win Havasu or Parker in class?

Keep the pixs coming,

SCT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    my dads ron jones had the # 187 on it when he bought it.
    SEEBOLD CHAMPBOAT MERCURY S3000

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Stickle
    Not that I can recall, he always ran well.......sometimes in the lead, but something always seemed to happen to Tom at those events
    Quote Originally Posted by SCT
    Did he ever win Havasu or Parker in class?

Last edited by willabee; 12-12-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you finish 3rd - who did you co-drive with ? I think I have a picture of that somewhere, I'll find it and post it on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR
    That's The Boat I Drove At Parker One Year. .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim. Harold Bartee. Wasn't he the Mercury dealer in Sebring? I seem to remember you running a J Production Allison for him and his son ran a G boat.
    Haven't seen a boat on this thread yet that I didn't lust after back then.
    Last edited by 2us70; 12-12-2005 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I Remember It Well.......

I almost forgot about Pruett falling off of that truck.....another chapter in The Legend of Billy Don . It was Duane Berghauer that Gary put in your boat. When Gary told me what he was going to do, I asked him to put me in because Duane had never driven a sprint ( only the 18' "rockers" ) and I had. He just glared at me. When Duey came back in after one lousy lap, I glared back.

My experience with Gary taught me that if he expected you to do a good job, and you did , he didn't say thank you.....things had just gone as planned. When Duey's attempt flopped, but Petty's went well, Petty gets a "thank you" because it wasn't part of the plan. I was always okay with that, some people didn't understand his nature. You had accomplished everything Gary thought you would, hence, that was part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR
    Yes I Did Finish 3rd. I Went Out There To Codrive With Pruett. I'm Sure You Remember He Broke His Arm, Assin Around With The Omc Guys. .
    Last edited by willabee; 12-13-2005 at 09:51 AM.

17. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Stickle

By the way, when I made the "super-sized shoehorn" remark, I was refering to the fact that his leg wouldn't bend. However, I really like your comment..... that should take down some of the head-swelling Watermark had created on another thread

Quote Originally Posted by SCT
    ......and he hasn't gotten any smaller!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Couple More Pics

I just answered my own question about who is driving the #187 boat pictured above, it is Bill Sirois. The first picture below had a caption that stated that Sirois drove Merten's boat and set a world record in "S" class, but didn't win the nationals because he jumped the gun in one of the heats. The helmet paint is the same in both pictures ( I don't think they will be clear enough for you to see it ).

The 2nd shot is of Jim Merten in the same boat winning the Miami 225 that same year, 1970. You can see he used a different shield than Bill did.

(Sorry, the first picture turned out lousy)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing on the Edge 050.jpg   Racing on the Edge 031.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-13-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Couple of Bill Sirois

The 1st is at the 1970 Miami 225, driving the sister boat to the #187. He finished 10th, mainly because of time lost trying to get on plane at the start and after pitting. He had raced from39th to 5th before getting fuel. Back then, Bill had a favorite expression..."tough turkey". Before taking the boat to Lake X, I had " Tuff Turkey " painted on it... Bill seemed to like that

The 2nd is at Parker in the same boat, now painted black and called " Up, Up and Away " after being repaired ( the Richie Powers blowover ). In this photo, the boat is definately " Up - Up ".............unfortunately, late in the race it was " Away ". I'm not sure who was in it when it blew over, I just remember the sad sight when we got it back to Oshkosh and burned what was left

( Again, the 1st picture is crummy, sorry )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing on the Edge 047.jpg   Racing on the Edge 017.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 01-04-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 348 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 51 101 ... LastLast