User Tag List

Page 1 of 225 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 51 101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Singles ! - Pictures

From the Golden Era

Found some old pictures ( don't know why I keep saying that, hell....all my stuff is old )

#254 - Tom Stickle - 17' Molinari sprint - 1350 stacker - 1971 Parker 9 Hour - note his cowling is gone, must be trying to make up time lost in the pits - can't get much looser than this and still keep the " This Side Up " decal pointed in the right direction. I think this is the race he ran wearing a full leg cast, we had to use a super-sized shoehorn just to get him in that thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stickle Parker 71.jpg 
Views:	6263 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	365136

#251 - Mike Downard - 17' Molinari marathon - C6 - 1971 Parker 9 Hour - note the single pipe exhaust (loved that noise) - Mike seems to be saying " Yea, you can get just a little looser "

Name:	Downard Parker 71.jpg 
Views:	6357 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	365137
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.

2. Likes Lake X Kid, PurpleHaze94 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Keep Em Coming

...i Always Enjoy Your Posts And Pictures.

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you......here's a couple more

#457 - Bobby Hering - 17' Molinari pickle fork sprint - TII - Dayton - the Kaukauna record run boat 118 mph - laid out about as perfect as can be done

Name:	Hering Dayton.jpg 
Views:	6209 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	365138

#190 - Bill Seebold - 17' Molinari marathon - TII - looks like Morgan City - he and Hering stole that show - they were running the 1st version of the NED C6 - When I sent the Morgan City powerheads to Fond du Lac for dyno testing, I asked Dr. Morgan to pay special attention to 2 specific serial numbers. When he sent them back, he said that those 2 had pulled the most horsepower. After the race he said " Let me guess, Hering and Seebold had the 2 we discussed " . I nodded "yes". He smiled and said " You're not going to tell me what you guys did are you?" I smiled and shook my head "no"

Name:	Seebold Morgan City 1972.jpg 
Views:	6180 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	365139

Quote Originally Posted by specboatops
    ...i Always Enjoy Your Posts And Pictures.

Chris
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:10 AM.

5. Likes Lake X Kid, PurpleHaze94 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you're not disappointed that the pictures of 'Hot Singles" are of boats ..... here are a couple more

#148 - Dick Sherrer - Crusader hull - TII - Parker 9 Hour - laid out very nice

Name:	Dick Sherrer - Crusader.jpg 
Views:	6211 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	365140

#22 - Jackie Wilson - 17' Molinari marathon - Cowbell - Havasu 1970- If you have ever talked to Jackie, you know that every other sentence has a " bloody hooray " in it someplace. I had our boat painter make a couple of decals with that term on them. I presented them to Jackie at Havasu, he laughed and said that he would display them proudly I guess you can't see them the way this picture turned out, but that's what it says in the white rectangle just in front of his number.

Name:	Wilson Havasu 1970.jpg 
Views:	6203 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	365141
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple more...

#457 - Bobby Hering - 17' Molinari sprint - 1350 stacker - Havasu - on Sunday he set a record for distance covered by a single over a 4 hour period, breaking the one Tom Stickle had set the day before in an identical setup

Name:	Havasu Hering 1350.jpg 
Views:	6206 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	365142

#187 - Jim Merten - 16' Molinari sprint - 1250 - Miami Nationals - I might not have this exactly right because this was a strange deal, but here's the story.
    We took two of these 16' sprints to Lake X, one for Merten and the other for Bill Sirois. The idea was to run the standard version of the engine for what was "U" class and then put the stacked powerhead on to run "S". Sirois hadn't arrived yet, so Merten set up both "U" boats. We started on the stacker setups and found that the engines were cutting out on both boats on top end only. We pulled carbs apart, changed electrical components and changed complete powerheads, all with no success. I called engineers back in Wisconsin, but they all drew blanks also. To make matters worse, while a bunch of us were in the shop working on Merten's boat, he and Richie Powers were testing Sirois's boat. Merten told Powers to take it for a run in hopes that might give Richie a better idea of what was happening........Richie blew it over. Looking at the bright side of things, that did cut our problem in half

Name:	Racing on the Edge 005.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	365143

We finally figured out the problem and went down to Miami. If memory serves, Merten was feeling bad about Sirois not having a boat, so they agreed that one of them would run "U" and the other "S". This picture is Sirois driving.By the way, any of you guys got an idea on why those engines were cutting out ?
    Last edited by willabee; 01-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.

8. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Brings Back Memories

As a kid a use to watch these events locally ( Rockford Il/ RockRiver ) I remember guy's like Art Kennedy Dick Ingabritsen ( probably spelled it wrong )
    Even saw Tim Seebolds first race, I believe it was class C he had a Orange tunnel that they had to weight the front of for him cuz he was such a little **** back then. At one point I think Alan Stoker and the mod vp stuff made its way into are area, sad, that stuff was great to watch and really brought the crowds out family entertainment at its best. Thanks again willabe for the great stuff your posting !!!

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

10. Likes Polaris6 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Bill...White pattern on helmet was his.- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by willabee
    Here's a couple more...

#457 - Bobby Hering - 17' Molinari sprint - 1350 stacker - Havasu - on Sunday he set a record for distance covered by a single over a 4 hour period, breaking the one Tom Stickle had set the day before in an identical setup

#187 - Jim Merten - 16' Molinari sprint - 1250 - Miami Nationals - I might not have this exactly right because this was a strange deal, but here's the story.
    We took two of these 16' sprints to Lake X, one for Merten and the other for Bill Sirois. The idea was to run the standard version of the engine for what was "U" class and then put the stacked powerhead on to run "S". Sirois hadn't arrived yet, so Merten set up both "U" boats. We started on the stacker setups and found that the engines were cutting out on both boats on top end only. We pulled carbs apart, changed electrical components and changed complete powerheads, all with no success. I called engineers back in Wisconsin, but they all drew blanks also. To make matters worse, while a bunch of us were in the shop working on Merten's boat, he and Richie Powers were testing Sirois's boat. Merten told Powers to take it for a run in hopes that might give Richie a better idea of what was happening........Richie blew it over. Looking at the bright side of things, that did cut our problem in half

We finally figured out the problem and went down to Miami. If memory serves, Merten was feeling bad about Sirois not having a boat, so they agreed that one of them would run "U" and the other "S". I'm not sure which one is in this picture, maybe Seeroy can tell us.

By the way, any of you guys got an idea on why those engines were cutting out ?
    Looks like Bill...Distinctive white pattern on helmet was his - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "By the way, any of you guys got an idea on why those engines were cutting out?'

My uneducated guess is; at top-end rpm the engines were starving for fuel, because the carb's jets were to small, or the heat from the Stacks was causing electrical shorts.
    Now I hope someone with the real reason why, will reveal the real culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Here's a couple more...

Name:	Havasu Hering 1350.jpg 
Views:	6206 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	365142

Name:	Racing on the Edge 005.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	365143

We finally figured out the problem and went down to Miami. If memory serves, Merten was feeling bad about Sirois not having a boat, so they agreed that one of them would run "U" and the other "S". This picture is Sirois driving.By the way, any of you guys got an idea on why those engines were cutting out ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=willabee;792810]Thank you......here's a couple more

#457 - Bobby Hering - 17' Molinari pickle fork sprint - TII - maybe the Kaukauna record run - 118 mph - laid out about as perfect as can be done

Willabee;
    Wish you would write a book!!!
    Not sure if this attached picture and caption (if you can read it?) has appeared before.
    It's about how this radically new "pickle-forked" boat was secretly brought to Dayton, Ohio on June 17, 1972.
    Was this the first sighting of a pickle-forked boat in North America?
    Please elaborate on this secret mission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    Was this the first sighting of a pickle-forked boat in North America?
    Absolutely not...there had been pickle forked boats for years before that one..... (Jones, Stylecraft, Switzer, Sidewinder, etc, etc)...but that was the first pickle forked MOLINARI I ever saw.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Absolutely not...there had been pickle forked boats for years before that one..... (Jones, Stylecraft, Switzer, Sidewinder, etc, etc)...but that was the first pickle forked MOLINARI I ever saw.

T2x
    T2x;
    Thanks for correcting me ( my excuse is it was after 10pm and I wasn't thinking straight)...I did mean first Molinari and if I recall Scotti didn't make a pickle-fork for quite a while after Molinari ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    Not sure if this attached picture and caption (if you can read it?) has appeared before.It's about how this radically new "pickle-forked" boat was secretly brought to Dayton, Ohio on June 17, 1972.Was this the first sighting of a pickle-forked boat in North America?Please elaborate on this secret mission.
    The picture is on both posts #105 & #188 with some background info about it before it came here (I have the black & white picture, no caption). The secret stuff the writer is refering to is how the boat was covered at the nose and the rear until it was in the water and then immediately covered before it was pulled out again. Merc made a bit of a spectacle out of trying to hide it (that's always good for some additional PR.....act like you don't want it).

I think Stylecraft or Powercat might be called the 1st pickle fork in the OPC ranks, but to me, that's a bit of a stretch (you posted a photo of Harold Eis in his Salty Cat Stylecraft on the "Hot Multi's" thread and that was from 1964). I think they had more of a "relief" in the nose than they did pickle fork sponsons. Olegator could probably tell us when McCall started building his pickle fork. The 1st full pickle fork I recall was the 18' twin Ron Jones that Bill Cooper won the Long Beach Invitational with in 1968. Jones was building pickle forks for the drag racing people before these boats made the scene.

Here is Eis, Cooper and Gary Ferguson .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Boat Mag 064.jpg   PB68&69 026.jpg   Power Boat Mag 013.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 03-21-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know anything about this Molinari #95 called Hales Comet ?? Bad picture, but the only one I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Molinari95.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there John.....just wanted to say Hi! Bill and I communicated here awhile ago about he helped with the design of the "Moly" picklefork.
    Do you ever hear from Bert Serra?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will agree...........I saw a few of these in the early days and still caqn't imagine what a ride it must have been! Even coming from the kneel down Alky world they always looked frightening!

Page 1 of 225 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 51 101 ... LastLast