Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david martin
    How would a 1995 camaro z-28 lt1 motor automatic pull a 19ft picklefork?
    David
    Any V8 should pull a boat no problem, As others have mentioned its the transmission temp and brake temp that you really need to pay attention too.
    Be carefull on steep launch ramps because your tires will slip in a Z-28. (especially because the ramp is always wet)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

car towing

i know a guy that uses his 2004 chrysler 300m, and tows his cvx16 glaston with a 140merc t.o.p. he tells me it works well for him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hauled my Gilbert 21 with a Peugeot 406 HDI one time to a race. I managed to get 32 mpg.... French cars sucks! I have been in the states two times and I dinn't see one single french car!

My favourite tow truck would be the Lamborghini LM002 (Countach V12 engine) or a custom 6 door GMC dually with 5th wheel.....
    EAE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many times and far too often People concentrate too closely on whether or not the engine has enough power, if that were the case these V8 cars would all be rated to pull 6,000 lbs.+... Rarely power is a real deciding factor in towing other than the low performance just being an annoyance, hence the I-6 300 c.i. engine that came in a bazillion F-250's.. The low tow ratings are are due largely to the suspension and the fact that they are uni-body... They structure is strong in the middle where it needs to be be, but You don't wan't a lot of weight surging up, down, back and forth on the tongue area as it's just basically a thick sheet metal structure.. The suspensions are typically pretty stiff for sport handling, the stiffness will only add to the stresses on the structure by having the tongue weight of a trailer trying to resist the suspension movement.. Be sure not to put alot of tongue weight on it, go very easy over uneven roads, keep an eye on trans temp, and for sure do not use the full potential of the engine with cars such as a Z-28... Sure there are always gonna be those who will try to pull anything with anything, and that's why fudge factors are put in to an extent to compensate for the "fudges"... I would probably exceed the factory rating (1500 lbs I think) by a little just because I and You would probably be more careful than most, but I think that 2500 lbs. or more is marginal...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tow vehicle is a 96 Impala, the last of the rear drive V-8's. I added airbags to the rear. It already has extra cooling.

The transmission is the weak point. I added the necessary HD parts to it and the rig is pretty much bullet proof at 100k now. The trans can be beefed up to pretty much tow any thing with after market parts.

My car has the 4L60E (modified). There is a 4L65E and a 4L80E that can be modded to pull really big loads.

I bought it new.

jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hills don't bother me at all, and the looks and comments at the ramp are priceless.
    now looks like
    16' Raysoncraft 100hp Mariner
    69 Chevy Caprice 350hp 355ci

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow an Allison XB2002 with a 2006 RX400h hybrid Lexus. tow rating of 3500 pounds and 20MPG towing. Dont even know the boat is back there.
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to tow my XL 1200 wave runner with my honda prelude. I would have 4 people and a months worse of gear and travel thousands of miles a trip like this with no problems at all ever for about 4 years. I would think any v8 car with a study fram like Gregs Camaro. A grand marque, Catilac STS or Elderado, Lexsas 420, I like the Camaro idea I think I just might have to find a Camaro convertable for road trips with my Allison. My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the I6 and it works well good mileage. I have a full sized Suburban with a 454 that can tow a house and gets 13 if im lucky Thats going to have to change i think. James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think another cool car for towing would be a 3000vr4!! They are awd also.320+hp the same size as a Camero. James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alan power
    you can import a Japanese (right hand drive) integra gsr 1.8 190 hp or type R 1.8 210 hp they both make over 100 hp per liter
    even a civic sir 1.6 makes over 100 per liter at 170 hp

they will all go over 140mph and get 32 mpg
    also are short geared with 4.7 final drives and some come with gear type lsd so no more spinning at the ramp

forgot to add the gsr and sir have front and rear disk 10.2 inch
    the type r has 11.2 inch front and rear
    Last edited by gotboostedvr6; 03-18-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4