Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Any car haulers here?

I've had two bad experiences with car haulers and need to know if it's me or them.
    First one was through a broker 8 weeks ago. We agreed on a price, I paid the broker and the driver showed up a week later and refused the vehicle. The broker had all the measurements and a picture of the vehicle. I guess the broker didn't communicate with the driver. The broker charged me $100.00 extra due to height. Said the $100 would be to deflate and re inflate the tires. I did finally get my money back.

Sept 28, I bought a car in CT. I called AADA movers who my barge co. recommended. on the 29th (Thurs) to schedule a pick-up. They needed my money ($1200.00) before they could book me. I wired the funds that day and was told by the owner my car would be picked up next week Oct 3-7. I called on the 3rd to see if they had a day picked out for pick up. The dispatcher said it would be NEXT week (10 -14) and probably closer to the 12,13,14. I asked why it wasn't getting picked up this week. Jerry said the owner didn't know what was doing on and gave me bad info. So, I call on the 10th to see how the pick ups are going and Jerry says, we aren't going to get it this week. I say, "Don't tell me it will be next week AGAIN". Jerry says, "NO, it will be in TWO weeks" The week of the 24-29. He explained that there were more cars on the east coast than trucks. He assured me my car wasn't getting "Bumped".

Is it that tough to schedule a pick up??
    I understand there are delays contacting owners for pick up etc.but C'Mon. A month!!!????
    I stopped in at the office of Alaska Marine Lines and was telling the ladies at the desk about my woes. I got the attention of the whole office. The ladies said something wasn't right and they would be calling AADA car movers first thing this morning. They recommend them because of all the compliments they had.

Yesterday I started to call other haulers. Of course they can't tell you a pick up time till you pay their broker fee THEN they post it on the net for drivers to bid on. I tried looking up haulers who own their own fleet of trucks but no luck.

Are there any good stories out there???

BTW, I called Penske truck rental as an option. Yea, I was looking at flying to CT and hauling it to Seattle in a truck. Wrong-O!!! $2880.00 just for the truck!! Add in air fare from Alaska and fuel...............I'd be in over 5k.

Soooooo, back to my first question,.........Any car haulers here? OR know how to contact a driver? (Cut out the broker)
    Last edited by AlaskaStreamin; 10-14-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ron

I guess they still haven't picked the car up yet. I will try to find out if there is anyone local to here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just talking to one of my friends at work, he suggested trying to get the car on a train. I don't really know how that works though. anybody tried it before.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not looked at transporting a car in a long time. You could probably look in Hemmings Motor News and see just about all of the transporters ads. I would think most old cars are being shipped FROM the west coast to the east and they'd all be hot for something to backhaul??? A cousin bought a Porsche Boxter last year via ebay that was up in Connecticut. Shipping to Memphis was $1000. I was at his place when it arrived. Pretty neat setup. It was one of those enclosed trailers where the cars are on all kinds of goofy angles. They were hauling all high end vehicles. I can get their name from him if interested. As I recall, an open transporter is usually quite a bit cheaper than enclosed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got ahold of a place that used the train. The car would have to go to a storage yard in NY then get on the train as space became available. They couldn't give me a load time so I backed away. This isn't a car you leave in a storage lot. (Ever see "Gone in 60 seconds")??

AAA Auto movers said $1219 open carrier and $1619 enclosed. Problem is they don't know when they could get the car. ARRRGGGG!!!

Ron Pratt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I have to ask real quick ?? How is the drive from seatle to home for you my dad is trying to work out how to get up to your neck of the woods next summer for a traveling vaca any idae to help him out would be great....

I'll call my buddy Tom ( Automtion) he moves them in an open trailer I'll have him give you a call (please pm a phone #) good guy and He'll get it to ya in one piece and with the tread still on the tires( I've seen the pic of your new Hot Rod) I don't know what he charges but worth a shot.

1-603-632-4421
    this is his direct #

Tell him Jeff from up the street had you call
    Later
    we're about 2 hours from your car

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jeff, I'll give him a call as soon as I finish this reply.
    Jocylen from AlaskaMarine Lines just called me. They use AADA ALOT and have some clout with them. She raked the owner over the coals and reminded them of the customers they send to them from Alaska. My complaint was the 1st she's ever heard from AADA and they have been using them for years. Jocylen's been with AML for 10+ years and said Their excuse, once explained seemed "reasonable". Now IF I stick with AADA and on the 24th,they say "Next week" someone's gettin' neutered!!!!

Left message on his answering machine.

Sitka is on an island. Once in Seattle, he would have to get on the ferry in Bellingham, Wa or Prince Rupert, Canada. With the ferry, he could get off in a town, stay a day or two, grab the next ferry and head to the next town. He could hit Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau,Haines, & Skagway. Both Haines and Skagway are on the mainland and he could drive up to Anchorage, Fairbanks, OR back to the states.
    Everyone that gets here say it's the prettiest and friendliest town in S.E. AK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails map-ala.gif  
    Last edited by AlaskaStreamin; 10-14-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Ron Pratt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you leave Wa. how long a trip is it to Sitka and how far to these other places they want to know becxause of acomidations aslo where do you get info on the ferry..

thanx
    Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, There are a few options for them. If they had a camper, they could drive up the "Alaskan Highway" (do a google "images" search for tons of photo's). In one map I posted, there are three acess areas to the AK hwy, N. Dakota, Montana, and Wa. You could see the interior of Alaska without getting on a ferry. The Southeast portion has to be acessed by ferry or plane. Prince Rupert Canada is the closest ferry port to the south and Haines / Skagway to the north. They could catch a ferry from either end and hit the towns till they got to the other side. It's about one day travel time between towns (12- 16 hrs) and three days from Bellingham, Wa to the first AK town (Ketchikan). The ferry's have state rooms, lounges, game rooms, movies, observation area's, naturalists speaking about the wildlife, etc. It's like being on a economy class cruise ship.
    Do a google search (images) of "Alaska Marine Highway" There are some AWESOME photo's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails map_03_01.jpg   tour1500.jpg  
    Last edited by AlaskaStreamin; 10-15-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Ron Pratt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typed in "Southeast Alaska" on Google image and got a trillion hits. Here's a couple I pulled for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southeast_Alaska_Map.jpg   sitka-art-locator.jpg  

Ron Pratt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Transport....

Ron...I have used Horseless Carriage and had very positive results. They are a bit more expensive but very professional and care about their cargo. Check out their website www.horselesscarriage.com. Good luck...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Ya get it worked out??

And was he able to help out How about his price Not a big deal he's a nice enough guy but that doesn't mean he's got the best prices?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left messages but no reply.
    Tried horseless carriage like 6 times and the phone was always busy.
    Looks like I'm sticking with AADA. (ADA to me!!)
    As of yesterday, Monday the 24th still looks good. Keeping my fingers crossed. The old owner REALLY wants it out so he can put his 42 Ford in. What can I do??? He won't put the Mustang outside but his 42 has 2" of water in the floor boards.

Ron Pratt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like delivering your car could be a nice vacation trip for someone. Too bad I don't have much time left or I'd deliver. It'd be well broken in upon arrival.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try These

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/privacy.html
    I dont know all your specs but DAS qouted 1620.00 to ship a 2005 mustang door to door from Bridgeport Conn. to Seattle Washington.

http://autotrans.fedex.com/
    Last edited by msc5195; 10-21-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast