Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post L.I.O.R.A. (Long Island Outboard Racing Assoc)

I'm new to this site, and tickled to death that I stumbled upon it today. Read about and saw some pictures of some old friends.

I was a founding member of L.I.O.R.A. which was the brain child of Marty O'Neill. I was lucky to have known him and his folks. All were tops in my book. Also raced with other great folks like Paul Balabus, Dicky Fantozzi, Ricky Adamzak, Tommy Smith and others. Those were the good old days.

Any others here know of the old group? Anyone here race at the only santioned L.I.O.R.A. event in Stamford, CT? Let me know. Post your pics if you have any.

BTW, That race was held on July 4th, 1972. I placed 3rd in FG class running a 15' Allison with an O'Neill built 80 HP Merc. One of a very few to finish the "Hell Ride".
    Last edited by Doug from LI; 09-28-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Long Island boaters

Hi there Doug. I am from Merrick bay, used to hang out at the Nick's dryland and play with race boats. My buddy bought Rick Adamzacks old racing tunnel and blew it over on his third day out. That was Ricks first boat with steps. Rick fixed the boat for my buddy. Now I live down south and am still playing with boats. I am on the eastern shore playing in the bay. One of my buddys down here bought on of Ricks newer boats a 140 sst boat that we hope to get back together someday soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear from you

Hey Dave. I'll have to try and find Ricky now that my interests have been peeked by this site.

Ricky built one heck of a boat. Of course his first one cost him a bit more work than anticipated. A small rookie mistake. If he, or someone else that knows him decides to elaborate, I'll let them. It's a fun story.

I'm down south also. Virginia Beach has been my home for many years now. My current boat tops out at about 30 Knots! Silvertons never were known for their speed! Where abouts on the eastern shore are you? Md or VA?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey

I am just 15 miles south of the Md. line. I am still playin with boats, don't seem to have nuf time for all the projects. I will post pixs of ricks first tunnel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pix

Of old Rick boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JansBoat.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointing uphill

This was my first craft. It was a 68' Checkmate out of O'Neills. Originally setup as a side-side driver, but coverted to a center wheel. Bottom was straightened by none other than Marty O'Neill. This picture was taken while testing as a FE boat (origianl 50HP). Shortly after it was fitted with an 80HP Merc and carried the numbers "454".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13checkmate.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey doug from LI...i know all of those names too..i actually work for the kalibats at K&K outboard and i am friends with tommy fantozzi...i hear stories about those guys on a regular basis..do you know rich luhrs.he is a regular on this site..his name here is T2x...i am sure he will chime in...
    1984 28 ghost twin 200 Yamah ProVs (SOLD)
    1997 21 Superboat Legend 250 VMAXXX (SOLD)
    2001 25 Concept CC 250EFI (SOLD)
    2002 24 Superboat Step 250EFI (SOLD)
    1997 21 Checkmate Pulsare 200EFI Merc (Beater Boat)(SOLD)
    1994 20 Hydrasport 225 Optimax (SOLD)
    1998 27 progression Twin 225 Mercs (SOLD)
    2005 23 Kryptonite 300 Promax (SOLD)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug, My dad was glad to hear from you. I would love to see some more pictures of these old tunnels and checkmates. Its a shame the L.I.O.R.A isnt around anymore... with all the boats out here i'm suprised there isnt any type of racing like the old days around here...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brandon, got your email response. I loaded your dad's #'s into my cell today and will be giving him a call tomorrow. Finding this site has been great, and I've been reliving some fantastic memories. The only problem now is, I just might get that bug to get a little go-fast again. Oh, how bad would that be? I'm going to have to go up in my attic and see if I have any other pictures, scan them and post them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boys from Long Beach

Brandon, recognize anyone in this picture? The boat was the original G-1711 (your dads boat). It was a 14' Invader lovingly nicknamed "The Smiling Duck". Behinf your dad is our late friend Marty O'Neill. In the driver seat is Tommy Butler, your dad's childhood friend. I'm the second on the right. I feel bad that I can't name everyone else. It's been a long time, and I left L.I. shortly after this picture was taken (Thanks, Uncle Sam!) We were on our way home from a race in Maryland. I know some of us brought home trophies, but I can't remember which ones did. All I know is that we celebrated heavily after the race, and this is what we looked like the morning after!The other racer in the picture is the guy in the back on the left. That's Rick Adamzak (sp?)

Ah, the good old days!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 001.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ghost. Good to hear from you. I haven't seen Tommy in 100 years. I think the last time was one morning around 7 am at The Rock Pile. He may not remember me, but tell him I said hi anyway. Hope to hear more from you...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great picture doug, My dad said the others in the photo are Jimmy Mahoney, Richard Webster, Paul Poluchi, and Jay Costello. Who's in front of you in that photo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug, your gonna get a kick out of this. Pictureof my dad still driving tunnel boats, and then one of me..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2319_1B.jpg   IMG_2095_1B.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13' Checkmate looks familiar...

Hi Doug,

I grew up in Massapequa. That picture of your 13' Checkmate looks familiar. My brother bought a used one, blue, center steering, hull only around 1971. I remember something about the guy he bought it from was somehow related to a Volvo dealer in Amityville, because I think we picked up the boat there after they rigged it for us using our 55 hp Johnson. We later replaced it with a '72 65hp and it ran great. I may have an old pic around. Just curious if it was your boat.

By the way I was a spectator at that 1972 race in Stamford, I was 14 at the time.

regards, Jim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting stuff...

I grew up in Freeport and worked at Saltair Marine for a while . Ran the bays in Invaders, Checkmates, Allisons , Sidewinders , Hydros and Gharvies . Do you guys remember Skip Petzold from Merrick ? He had an awesome race motor collection . I think he is around here in west Fl. where I live .Sure do miss the bay house in Merrick that i used to stay at . I was a member of Eastern Outboard Racing Club . Got my first hydro from Dickie Scopinich .
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast