Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sutphen 210?

Anyone have any info on the new Sutphen 210?
    Looks like a real nice boat with great lines.
    What's the deadrise / weight . . .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Ing here on the board he is having one (not sure if it is complete yet ) built. He should be able to give all the info
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking New Sutphen 210

Richie Jr was swamped with repairs (other manufacturers) this season so my 210 will be completed this winter. The new 210 is 20' 7" with the same 7' beam and running surface as the original 20'. Basically Richie took the 20' mold and added almost one foot. The keel has 2" pad that thins out and terminates about 10' forward of the transom and a variable deadrise of 20 degrees with a 2/3 length inner and full length outer lifting strakes. Weight is estimated to be 1400 lbs dry, less I/O or engine, jack and steering.

The new deck layout is what's really exciting but also taking so long. The new plug is very different from the original twenty but retains the classic offshore look. Richie has tapered the flat deck design from the bow and raised it approx. two inches amidship. The fairing is now molded into the deck and has a slight radius to it. The stern area and sides look very similar to the twenty.

The new deck will be available in a closed bow "sport" or a bowrider. Mine will be a bowrider. Instead of taking the cheap way out and chopping a closed deck with a saw, the bowrider area will be a seperate mold insert.

The 210 has the same flat transom as the twenty and is avialble in I/O or O/B. NO transom well so both will have full sun pad although the O/B may be ordered with the rear lounger moved aft one foot to open up the cockpit.

Remember, in keeping up with the Jones', the Sutphen 20 was an original design to shootout against the 20' Cigarette and not a splash of anything. The hull and deck are completely cored. Bi/tri-directional glass, vinyl ester resin and other materials are used in the layup. The deck and hull are glassed together.

I'm riigging a Merc 225 Pro XS off a Stainless Marine Bracket and Gorilla II jackplate, SeaStar Pro steering and billet aluminum swim platforms.

I'd like to post pics of my boat but we're waiting until he shoots the new plug with gel before putting pics out. If anyone is in northern NJ stop by the shop, you can see it in person. My hull is done and the new deck plug is 2/3 complete with the dash layout being worked on.

Hope this answers some questions.
    Last edited by Ing; 09-29-2005 at 04:56 PM.
    Ing
    Semper Fi!
    Sold the Talon
    Sold the Pantera
    Sold the Renegade
    2022 Monterey M65
    "Yup...I'm old"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ing,
    Too bad about not running it this summer but these things take time. Post the photos once you have then.
    Phil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the 210 compare to the Donzi 18 classic in the rough water?
    The donzi has 24-degree deadrise vs 210 with a 19-degree deadrise??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Vees

I've never riden in a Donzi of any size but you must take into account other factors than simple deadrise. The Sutphen has a twenty degree deadrise at the transom but it rides on a thin pad. Some other manufacturers have twenty one or more deadrise but ride on a wider pad. I believe the Donzi 22 has a twenty four degree true vee and if you look, they need tabs to control chine walking. A 22' recreational boat should not need tabs. I talked with the President of Baja after complaining that their new 20' Outlaw (21 degree) was underpowered. (I considered this boat) He said their test boat had a 350 Magnum (300hp)/Alpha but started to chine walk at 65 mph. They added tabs to help the problem but didn't want to produce a so called "entry level" boat with chine walking issues. I've ridden in Challenger based hulls and saw no noticable difference in ride than the Sutphen. I'm not an expert on marine hydrodynamics but I do know quality. I had Richies demo boat out yesterday in some wind swept slop and a Sutphen is built as solid as any other custom shop. There are many great shops around, especially in the northeast, I'd demo each boat in contention and then make your move. Give me a shout in February for a ride. I'll have my boat out if I have to chop the lake ice by hand!
    Last edited by Ing; 09-29-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    Ing
    Semper Fi!
    Sold the Talon
    Sold the Pantera
    Sold the Renegade
    2022 Monterey M65
    "Yup...I'm old"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ing,

I like the look of the 210 with the I/O but it's $$$ . How much wind did you get in the demo 210?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind

I'm 5'10" and got a lot of wind sitting straight up but at 3500rpms or less it wasn't a nuisance. At WOT is was definately an issue. When I stretched out, I sat lower and could sit comfortably. The fairing then blocked the wind. I think the demo 20' offered at least as much protection as any comparable offering from other manufacturers.

The new 210 should cure any wind issues. If you saw the boat, the new integrated fairing is higher along with the freeboard. Richie has a seat and is mocking up the new dash. There is a noticeable difference when sitting in the new 210 and the demo 20'.

Unfortunately for us, I think most of the boats in our class have issues with wind. The Checkmate Pulsare comes to mind as having a full windshield but I don't know how much it helps. Sticker shock is no doubt real but price out some of the west coast offerings or even a new Donzi 22'. Those prices are insane!

I think in the age of the Internet going used is right way to go but in my case no other quality builder but Sutphen wanted to do the bowrider. If you compare new prices, a 20' Baja is 29K and a Pulsare is mid 30's. The Sutphens are high 30's as would be a comparable Superboat. Velocity and Progression your into the 40's just for a boat with Activator in there somewhere. I think the small shops are the only ones who can still give a realistic price on a new boat.
    Ing
    Semper Fi!
    Sold the Talon
    Sold the Pantera
    Sold the Renegade
    2022 Monterey M65
    "Yup...I'm old"