Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford 4.6 or 5.4?

I was offered a deal on a 2001 Ford F150 4dr x/cab 4x4 17" wheels with tow pkg....everything looked good but when I open the hood to look at the engine it was a 4.6 and not the 5.4...question, is there that much difference in tow capability between engines? It would be used for pulling around 4000-6000 depending on which boat I tow. Could I get away with the 4.6 v-8 or do I need to keep looking for a 5.4 engine.

JJB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question.

What kind of towing with the 6000 lbs. boat? If you do alot of towing over hills, yes, then wait to find a 5.4. But if you do towing mostly on flat roads, you will be fine. Make sure that you don't tow with the overdrive. 4R70W will NOT last if you do. 5.4 has more torque then 4.6. But if you use the 4 wheel drive to pull it out of the ramp, you won't even notice it. Chuck.
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJB, I had a 97 F150 with 4.6 V8 and auto..at the time I had a 20 Stratos bass boat with a tandom axle trailer..I goota tell ya..it did not have enough power to pull itself up a hill.. always had to take it out of overdrive..wide open up a hill all it did was sound like an air pump..go for the bigger mota..just my oppinion..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove an F-350/5.4 van as a work vehicle for about a year... I don't know what the unloaded weight is, but we carry about 1000+lbs. of parts and materials... The 5.4 had just the kind of power that a truck needs, way down low with great torque response... I liked the engine a lot better than than the 5.7 Chevrolet 1 tons, and the Ford got better mileage at 14.5 highway/city...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm..........I'm in Florida and the only thing that looks like a hill is some of our bridges and most of them is flat too. I do agree though that the 5.4 might be the way to go.

JJB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2001 with a 4.6 I towed my 28 Magnum (6,000 lbs boat/trailer) from NJ to Chicago, plenty of power on flat surfaces, it struggled a little going over the mountains in Pa. Overall, I'm very satisfied with It's towing ability. I also use it pull a Grady White locally, I have no problems pulling the boat out at a sand/mud ramp.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJ I have had both, a little more punch with the 5.4, but fuel milage is a lot better witht he 4.6, and better when pulling.
    If all I was pulling was the boat and driving more, I would have the 4.6,
    drive it like ya stole it!

AL
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's 4X4 don't get the 4.6.

Other than that go with the 4.6.
    Also the 4.6 will respond better to Flowmaster and K&N.
    Done it to both and the 4.6 responded better to the changes than the 5.4.

Also do not worry about the overdrive button. The switch is for braking downhill.
    I would cut it off if in hills and it's shifting in and out a lot.

But if it has factory towing that's more than a hitch on a Ford. Bigger alt. engine oil cooler bigger transmission cooler, and wiring all the way to the fuse box for trailer brakes. Also reverse wiring is also in place for hyd brakes and for these new trailers with back up lights.

If you are the kind of guy who has to feel his ****! Get the 5.4, but the 4.6 will do the same job and will not break the bank. I pulled enclosed 18ft long 7ft tall trailer all over the country when son was racing. 1st truck 2yrs (1997) 4.6 200,000 miles not the first problem. 2nd was a 2000 5.4, 140,000 miles not one problem, but it was harder on the gas funds. Then in 2002 I got a F-350 7.3 diesel and sold all the racing stuff and only pulled the boat. Sold it, now pulling with Navigator.

You can ask The Fast One about those first trucks he will tell ya. I gave them pure hell! Never let me down, never.

4.6 is more than what ya need if ya like the truck.

AL
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,
    It is a 4x4, but it also has the flow master exhaust system, plus every available option including leather. Truck Body is in excellent shape and has 58000 miles and change on the odometer. I took it out for a spin and without towing anything it ran real strong. Asking price is 11,500.00 but I think I can probably get it for 10,000.00 or 10,500.00 at worst.

Al why do you say no if it's a 4x4?

JJB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5.4 is the only way. i have had 7 f-150 and only one with a 4.6. there is only 1-2 mpg advertised difference from one to the other. There is only 750.00 difference on a new and I can tell you from working at a dealer for a short time the 4.6 is a poor reseller. I only pull a Bullet and I can tell you that you will tell the difference and common since will tell you the more effort and engine has to go through the less gas mileage you will get and the 4.6 struggles the whole time. There is about 50 horses difference between the 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4X4 kills the 4.6, but were you live and pulling under 5k you would be fine.

And before when gas was 1.00 a gal a 4.6 was a dog on resale, but now things have changed. Now everybody wants out of the 5.4. Also that advertized MPG is BS!

Also were you live has a lot to do with resale, up here were I am you got to have the HP to pull, mountains. So a 4.6 would be a little hard.

Now, my 97 F-150 pulled good, it would feel the hills, slowdown on steep grades, and the 5.4 did better. But I can tell ya, you will pay at the pump for it. When it comes to towing, the 5.4 will eat it!

Go hook it up, if you are satified buy it. We are all go fast nuts, we like big bad HP.
    But some times we need to look at the big picture. I have done it, owned both trucks sold both truck and the facts are what they are.

You have to be happy first. Mechanicaly no problems it's just what ya want.

Al

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up You Want Pulling Power!!!!

Then just look for a F-250 Super Duty 4X4 with the 7.3 Diesel. 2001 to 2003 are the best years, and Diesel has a unbelievable resale value. Also Diesel is cheaper than gas, gets better gas mileage, and will last for at least 350,000 miles. No gas engine can stand up to it. You will pay more for it, but everything I mentioned above will make up for that. Chuck.
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beer30
    Then just look for a F-250 Super Duty 4X4 with the 7.3 Diesel. 2001 to 2003 are the best years, and Diesel has a unbelievable resale value. Also Diesel is cheaper than gas, gets better gas mileage, and will last for at least 350,000 miles. No gas engine can stand up to it. You will pay more for it, but everything I mentioned above will make up for that. Chuck.
    Very very true! But, your not gona find one for 10k!
    Mine was a 2002 f-350 4X4 7.3 had 75k miles sold it 4 months ago for 29k took 4 days.

Al

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE on 4.6 F150

Unbelievable........I called the owner of the truck after pretty much deciding that I was going to purchase the ride and as one last idea got the VIN # and had a friend run it through a title program with the state. The title program shows the complete history from the day it was manufactured to the last time it was sold. Well it turns out that the great deal wasn't so great, the truck that has 57000 miles on the odometer actually showed that the last time it was sold (at auction) on July 2004 had 178,000 miles with no accidents (reported at least). It's amazing, if I hadn't run the VIN# I would have purchased a truck with at least 178,000 miles but in reality probably closer to 200,000 miles or more. Anyway back to looking.

JJB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just how much of that goes on?
    I think a lot!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast