Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Scam Alert - Do NOT sell to "Jim Wood <jimwood2393@yahoo.com>"

There has been a report of a person named Jim Wood, who offered to purchase a propeller from a forum member. I do not yet know if this person is a member here. It's the typical, out of the country scam where the user will send a money order for $3000 or so, then ask for the difference in return.

DO NOT SELL TO THIS PERSON.

Please report any such solicitaions immediately!

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other clues

Other clues to these scams involve all sorts of standard business lingo which obviously comes from a poor translation to English by a foreigner. i.e., "I am much interested in buying your 'product'." Or, "Please forward the shipping details so that we may call this transaction complete." Offers are also made to pay for packaging, etc. In the ones I've seen, there is never a mention of what you are exactly selling, as in "please ship the prop". I got e-mails like this out of Denmark while trying to sell a couple of old snowmobiles. They try several times with follow-ups like, "Please advise your final price so we can complete the transactions." Statements like "final price" or "best price" are typical of brokers & sheisters - even the legit ones.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That same name has showen up on my site as well in the same situation for a snowmobile. DO NOT SELL TO THAT GUY!
    Troy Oleson
    Racing Extreme
    http://www.racing-extreme.com
    See You at the Races!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have had that situation come up at our marina a few times on used boats.We have caught it every time but taking thier check to our bank and having them reserch it and find out if it is any good. I belive it has happened twice this year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterdays Scam

A friend of mine, that most of you know,but will remain nameless, came by and took me to lunch yesterday. He got a phone call on the way, in my truck, from a guy he was selling his F1 boat to..in London..The buyer, John Smith, who speaks broken english and can't spell, and is always in a big hurry, sent him a check for twice the amount,(we are talking high teens) and wanted him to send two checks to different people...He was going to the bank after he left me to do this. I told him SCAM...told him to go to his bank and give the info and the copy of the check he made to an officer...he really found it hard to believe, but did it anyway...SO far he has called me 3 times and came by this morning to thank me..Now he is playing with the creep hoping the cops can trace him...The creep also sent him an email to a girl (by mistake) on another scam...I can only hope the creep dies on Christmas Eve...or gets caught and gets 30 days in the electric chair...and the money still shows in his account on the bank web site!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These guys need to be stopped but I can't see how! People on the internet trade from all over the world and unless you are familiar with these scams it does seem possible to get screwed.

This realy anoys me, it realy screws up internet trading for every one.
    There has been too many times sellers and companies have said to me they wont deal overseas. I buy most of my boat/merc parts from the USA as outboard parts are WAY too expensive here and merc V6's are rare so used parts are nearly non existant!
    Also I've been trying to buy a cover for my V-king and all the internet companies say the same... no overseas. A local company want €1400, about $1600 to make a sunbrella for me

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is alot of this going on so please everyone be on your gaurd! I have ran into these offers on several occasions and they all come from overseas. Another scam I have recently been warrened about is people selling other peoples items online and a fictisus person collecting the money. There are several sites out there that track and explain scams. If you are doing business on the web please educate yourself. I have been taken by one of these scams and would hate to see anyone else have it happen to them!
    Troy Oleson
    Racing Extreme
    See You at the Races!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every couple months or so, I get an email from Nigeria. These guys want to buy about 200 Wiseco pistons...........if only it was a genuine order

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got a e-mail from a guy in nigeria wanting to order 700 ngk plugs yesterday.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These scams are like pop ups, i got 5 in one week for the same product.
    I cant believe they think were that stupid.Send me your account number and address or ill send 3000 and send me the change
    1 Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also seen that scam but it was only twice in one week.
    Troy Oleson
    Racing Extreme
    See You at the Races!