Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

175 HP Evinrude on Glastron GT150??

Any suggestions, advice on this is appreciated -
    I'm interested in putting a 175 HP Evinrude V6 on a stock 1976 Glastron GT150 ski boat. I'm trying to get as much top end as possible out of the boat, but still be somewhat safe. Do I need to modify the boat? Do I need a jack plate? Will the boat/transom handle the larger motor?

Thanks.

-Sean.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the way you think. A couple of things to check would be the floor/streamers and the transom. Make sure they are SOLID. If the transom is good, it may be ok, but it may not hurt to add some knee braces to the transom. You will probably need a jackplate to get the motor up high enough for maximum performance. However, how much set back you need will be the mystery. I wouldn't go more than 6" to start out with. That motor is gonna be HEAVY and adding setback increases the effect of that weight on the boat. You may not need much. That boat is not that big or heavy. Balancing your load in the boat will help with handling. It's probably gonna be a hand full at first, but it will also be fun to get 'r tuned in. Hope this helps, you came to the right place, there is alot of guys here that know alot more than me. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by dlivewyer; 07-06-2005 at 09:02 PM.
    '94 Bullet 20XD W/225 Merc ProMax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a couple of Carlson cvx16s, basically a 16 foot GT. I ran a Johnson 115 v4 on one. Pleasant, well balanced and none too fast...maybe 45 or so... Then I ran a Suzuki 140 on it, still no jackplate, but a whole lot more fun. The boat ran around 55 to 60. Imho the 4 cylinder Suzuki is about ideal for these boats. A little wild, as you are runnning 40 to 50 more hp than the boat was designed to see and about 15 mph faster than the design as well. It is unlikey to kill you... unless you help it along. Then I hung a Yamaha Pro V 150 on it. It looked great, big motor/ little boat. I used a manual jackplate w/ 4 " of set back. The fastest it would go was a tad over 70 and that was right at the edge...I used dual cable steering, 2 six gallon fuel tanks in the rear. It all worked great up to about 65 then chine walking with a little porpoising thrown in would increase in intensity and I would have to back out or get thrown out of the boat. Maybe some one w/ better set up skills could have improved the high speed handling. I only had a couple of props and messed with jack plate a bit, but the boat was basically unsafe past about 65mph. These boats are just not designed for speeds over 50 or so and going faster than 60 or so is pretty risky...I run an Allison now and it feels safer running low 90s than the Carlson did at 60. Looking back, I should have stayed w/ the Suzuki 140 and tried a manual jack plate. But the Yammy was fun...Keep in mind this was all w/ the 16 footer. I think mine were rated for 90 hp and that was back when outboards were rated at the crankshaft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LBXR has pretty well detailed what you are likely to go through

I ran a 16'8" 'Tron C500 with a heavily modded '76 135 Johnrude, 5.5" Bob's jackplate, also ran an '89 GT 150 on the same hull. It was just as fast with the 135 and more driveable. I'd strongly recommend adding a pad to the bottom of that hull if you really like it. I had done lots of work to the bottom, transom, floor, added bulkheads, and should have added a pad but didn't. You will definitely need to rework the transom, 'Tron transoms are not known for their strength. Every one I've had had transom problems. If you just want a fast hull, and not a major project, I'd look for an Allison, Hydrostream, Lazer, etc. If you decide to proceed with hull mods, let me know and I'll help all I can.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Thanks!

Thanks fof all the help! I fugured I came to the right place. I also suspected the 175 might be a bit of overkill. I have a 115 on it right now and it already chine walks when trimmed up at full throttle so I knew a V6 would only increase the liklihood of sudden death, it's just that I found a great deal on one and my mind got to thinking what if... I'll probably go with the 'Stream or the Allison if I can get a deal on one. I'd like a bit more room than the GT provides anyway.

Thanks again to everyone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a crazy guy in Canada who put a 260 on one...

...but I can't really talk about that here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful !!

The GT 150 is no Carlson CVX 16.

The hulls are different and the GT is a much hairier ride.
    Scott Strang

Present:

1987 Hydrostream Vegas XT
    175 HP Yamaha Pro V
    225HP Yamaha 2.6 (Just Bought, can't wait to put together and run! )

Past
    1987 Valero YT Bowrider
    1994 Pro V 175 Yamaha

Recently deceased:
    19 foot Action Marine
    225 Evinrude Vindicator
    245 HP Carb 2.5 Merc

1984 Hydrostream Vector
    2.4 Merc Bridgeport Carb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sold a gt 150, i had a evinrude 140 looper on it. the boat drove well up to about 60 mph, and it had 6 in of set back. thought about putting a pad on the bottom of the boat, and hangin 2.0l merc 150 on the back.but then i just went out and bought a hydrostream vector. much better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stinson, this is Cuda. How did you make out with the Glastron?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean,
    From your investigating what do you think a good safe top speed
    would be for the GT-150? i.e. what do you feel the hull can handle?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure if you add a jack plate to a hull and start lifting your engine that you have a water pressure gauge and know where your motor should run. (PSI)
    I have a CVX 20 with a 225 Pro Max and a 14" Rapid Jack and I have the center of the prop 1" to 2" below the V. Without a pad, you can't lift it too high.