Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F1 Indy

F1 Indianapolis, this weekend.

BIG news. The first AMERICAN driver since Michael Andretti will be participating.
    Scott Speed, winner of Red Bull driver search will be driving the third car entered by Red Bull.

(F1 rules allow teams not in the top 4 places at last race to run a 3rd car in Friday's practice sessions. Additional intel. is the benefit. This is what Scott is driving.)

Should be good to see how he laps compared to the other two team cars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought he was gonna be driving Wed. or Thurs.?
    http://www.scottspeed.com/
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

What a fiasco at Indy today. Michelin should be ashamed of themselves for not coming to the race with at least more than one tire design. You can bet the lawyers are going to have a field day with this one....the fans being the biggest lousers. If this keeps up, Indy may not schedule another F1 race in the future.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW what a disaster this fiasco was. If this doesn't kill F1 in America it surely will see too it that we might not have another race for several years here stateside. I still say the FIA needs to weld the manhole covers down and go back to inner-city racing in some large city in America. What would the turn out be if they raced in Manhattan? I would be front and center for that specticle.

I can see all sides on this one tho. Yeah the frogs I mean Michellin should've came loaded for bear. But at the same time it was unsafe for their drivers to be out there so they did the right thing by recommending a boycott. I agree with Ferrari likewise saying, "Hey we came ready, why penalize us?". The only family that came out smelling like a rose on this one is the France family...

I think it can be summarized like this... TYPICAL EUROPEAN ARROGANCE!
    RA
    "Rainy Day Woman II" 2008 Allison XB21 2+2, 2008 Merc 225 Sport XS.
    "Other toy": http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...54%20Chevelle/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't matter what Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes, Michelin, Bridgestone, or anybody else had to say about it. Rules are rules, but the bottom line is, this is your series, your livelyhood. The man in charge should have done whatever possible, changed, broken, altered, or manipulated the rules to get all the cars in the race. Ferrari probably would've, or at least should've been smart enough to know it was for the better of there series. If not let them cry their little eye's out. Ferrari wanted to get a win, that's the only reason they protested, but how important was that win at the expense of possibly killing the series in America. The man in charge of the series should've been smart enough to know what to do to make the series a sucess in America.
    Comp. STV - 2.5 EFI
    Vegas XT - 2.4 200
    Vector project - mod. 2.4 225

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Just got home from Indy....

...after a hard day's work today. Flew out of Indy yesterday evening, connected in Detroit to Tampa. Got into Florida after midnight. All of that for a race I left four laps in. WHAT A BUMMER!!!

What almost made up for it was that I did get to talk to Jarno Trulli. The pole winner was in line with me at the airport check-in. We rode on the same connector flight to Detroit. He was dejected to say the least. I did not bother him for an autograph or anything...in fact, nobody even recognized him until a good hour passed of him sitting with the rest of us waiting on the plane to board. Needless to say, he was early for the flight like us.

Also, the Porsche Supercup races were awesome. NASCAR has nothing on those guys.

The one tire rule this year is absolute nonsense. We would have raced if it was not for this rule. That said, Bridgestone adapted to the rule and Michelin did not.

The actions displayed on Sunday were unacceptable. Too many of us spent lots-o-money traveling, lodging, eating, and ticketing our way to this race. Only to see Porsche Supercup, Formula BMW, Infinity Pro Series, an F1 qualifying session, and a Sunday Ferrari test session.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Brian,
    Last races we put together some nice photo essays. This year was sure different.
    Correct, had it not been for the stupid one tire rule the race was on. The rules DO currently allow for changes for tire safety issues, and the Michelin teams had that option. Yes 3 more stops than the other guys would have been a disadvantage, but so is sitting out every lap.

Anyway, heres my pictures from the event. Not much on track action Sunday, so I'll start with Monday evening:

Here I am closing on the minivan entering turn 13, the fastest turn that scared off the Michelins. My tires held up fine BTW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03292.JPG  
    Last edited by sms; 06-21-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entering turn 1 after the long front straight. Hot brakes and all. As you can see the minivan did not have the optimal setup for this corner. I got around him on Georgetown road after exiting the track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03296.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that completes this years USGP update. Tickets are still available for next year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Move the race to Laguna Seca!
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave
    Move the race to Laguna Seca!

Wouldn't have changed a thing. This wasn't an Inpls issue. Certain teams have been trying to get out from under FIA and start their own series. That's why everyone dug their heels in so deep and failed to reach a compromise. The fans took the hit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone offered a "make good" of any kind on this deal? Are they really just telling the fans "too bad"? If I had spent $$$ on airfare, race tickets, lodging, etc., only to be told that I'm out of luck... Damn, I'd be pissed.
    Currently involved in activity that can only break one piston at a time......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Speedway and Tony George are reportedly considering refunds. They are noting this and taking names. No decisions yet, but I think Michelin primarily is the foundation of blame, and is trying to spread the guilt around.

They came unprepared, asked for rule changes at the 11th hour, did not get their way, so they took their ball and and went home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess...

It doesn't even really matter who's to blame. It just seems typical of the elitist attitide of everybody involved with F1. You pay your money and get whatever they tell you that you can have.. Don't like it. Tough. Can you see Nascar doing that? "Yea, we decided that this here track is jes' too dangerous fer them folks drivin' Fords and Dodges.. Yep. This un's gonna be a Chevy only race..."

Jesus.... How much money does Michelin spend every year testing in F1? You mean they don't even have a safe tire to get around the track? I suppose Minardi will just sit out the next race because "this track has straightaways that are just too long, and our car isn't fast enough.. Maybe if you put in 17 chicanes....... Oh, but wait, out car doesn't steer, brake, or accelerate either. Actually, we'd like you to put restrictor plates in the Renault's, McLaren's and Ferrari's.... Oh, and can we have Schumacher to drive also..."

Anyway.. I'm just tired of all the entitlement. So, for all you F1 fans, I'd like to make a suggestion.. Watch motorcycle (MotoGP) racing instead. The racing is (with the exception of Val Rossi) usually closer, the riders have personalities, and even though the FIM can be a pain in the ass, they seem to understand that they're only there because of the fans.
    Currently involved in activity that can only break one piston at a time......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff sms!

GP-1,
    I absolutely love MotoGP...well, not as much as I did when it was 500cc smokers, but I am practically over that nowdays.

It's funny you mention that, because as I was steaming down the stairs out of my great seats at turn one on lap four of the USGP, I grumped to my wife, "That's it! We are done with F1! MotoGP from here on out! Laguna Seca here we come." No kidding at all.
    This looks to be coming true. I am planning a trip out west next year. Why not line it up with MotoGP at one of the greatest tracks in the US?

And to address the statement on refunds- I am furious that I spent money on airfare, outrageous $$$$ per night hotel, food, rental car, beer...ok, the beer was good. All of these at race weekend premiums mind you. And then not see the race. I don't expext a refund from Tony George/IMS. They were alienated much worse than the fans were. They're out millions in sanctioning fees, plus the black eye in the world spotlight, etc. I hear they will try and get some of the money back from the FIA due to contract breaching with the lack of cars on the grid, but the track doesn't owe me jack squat. Michelin owes me. Michelin owes Jarno Trulli, Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso, and the rest of the Michelin shod contenders.

Also, NASCAR had the same thing happen at Talladega's inagural race in 1969. Not nearly as related, but the Chrysler boys also boycotted the entire season 4 years prior to that. Those were different years, but the same thing happened in front of a grandstand load of fans.

Everyone involved in F1 is not an elitist in my opinion. I've heard too many people saying this lately. The ego-maniacs making decisions at the top are. Just as they are in MotoGP, NASCAR, CART, IRL, and most other forms of motorsport. It doesn't take long to think of situations where the almighty dollar drove those boys at the top of all of these to make stupid decisions not in favor of the fans and/or the drivers/riders. Been that way for years and will never change. The drivers of F1 were more than apologetic. I spoke to the pole-setter in person. He looked as if he lost a relative. Schumacher and Barrichello were as humble and apologetic as they could be after the race. Far from elitist by my standards in judging from their statements and actions. I feel as if the drivers and others are embarrassed, ashamed, and hurt while all the head cheeses are pointing fingers and passing the buck.

It's all driven by $$$$. The elitists had their money in hand already. Bernie gets TV money. Max Mosely gets sanctioning money. Tony George gets whatever is left, if any, ticket and part of the concession money from food, beverage, and branded USGP gear. Last I heard, he was in the red every year thus far for the USGP. And ticket sales have gone down from the first year to 2004. I don't know about 2005, but it looked comparable to last year. Maybe a little less..............

Anyway,
    See you at Laguna Seca.
    Viva MotoGP!
    Last edited by LaserModVee; 06-21-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast