Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still dont understand, why do these shoot outs on a Bullet. Majority of people are interested in comparing these engs on regular heavy old bassboats that 95% of people out there run. A light boat is always giving Mercury an advantage right from the start. I like seeing how fast a Bullet can go but for comparisons a more mainstream boat should be used.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ringers?

I expect Bullet boats were used because Bullet made the resources available for the test. In a perfect world, the magazine would just purchase engines at retail from randomly selected dealers and spend weeks of paid staff time rigging and testing on hulls of their choice. I can almost hear JWTJr. laughing at the idea of spending that much time or money on a magazine test.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

testing

I'd love to do that, Barry--talk about a dream job and test environment. You're right, Bullet was selected because they made the hulls available. They also waited over a year as the engine manufacturers stalled and delayed. Our most recent test was held at Bass Cat because they made the hulls available. It turned out well. Making excuses for a manufacturer because "the hulls were too light" or "they don't build an engine to run that high" is ridiculous. Perhaps the Merc would not have won if the test involved another hull--or perhaps it would have. The test was done on a Bullet, and the Merc won. Fair and square, all other things equal. It's funny that some simply can't accept it. What about if/when the Evinrude and/or Yamaha wins? What then? I'm sure it will be equally unfair for the Merc. It does make me laugh, Barry.

JWTjr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep doing what you're doing ! start putting 2 a month out come on

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Bullet was a good choice of hull. This is Scream and Fly after all.

And besides, those engines were too heavy for an Allison.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ridiculous??

not sure if that was aimed at me but my point (opinion) is only that I think the Bomb. is there as far as power, it just needs a gear case and optional gear ratios.
    If they do that, I will be happy
    I think the test over all was excellent and have no complaints from my side at all.
    Re-read the article last night and you said the BRP lost 2 1/2 MPH's by having to run the case @ 1/2" bellow the pad as compared to the Merc @ 1 1/2" above, then I wonder about the diffrence in efficency in the Sporty case, andddd the advantge of the gear ratio that Merc chose to run. If that ='s another 2 1/2 MPH's, we're there!
    As far as the Merc Race vs BRP, clearly Merc has the back ground, history and experience in making O/B's go fast. They've paid for it and earned it!
    "IFFFFFF", BRP get's serious about the performance side of things (like they have in everything else they've done ) it will be interesting to see what the future holds for us. All of us, black and white fans!
    When was the last time Merc had viable competiton to them in the Hi Perf O/B market???
    I think I was driving a Schwinn at the time
    Gary
    P.S., Barry the L.H. is still going strong with about 20 hrs on it
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BRP feedback

I agree with you Gary...I said that in the story. BRP's gearcase needs some tweaking, some optional gearing, and they're a force to be recokened with.

We agree.

JWTjr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is "Test was done on a Bullet, Merc won", everybody knew that outcome before the test was ever done. It still makes fun reading though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn it.....see what happens when you let your subscription run out....now I can argue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can any one of you post the results of the shootout...top speed, 0-30 etc. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reese - They posted some supplemental info at http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=979759

Gary - Good to hear that orphan gear is working for you.

Racer - In your spare time, how about hanging one on a #55 and seeing what it can do with a well tuned lower unit and setup work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Barry...

Looks like Etec needs a little more tweaking to catch up. Not too bad for the first shootout....next one should be very interesting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see an adaptation of the sporty to the yamaha so that the engine can be held to its " RECCOMENDED RPM" so we readers get to see all of the specs... not the words see text and the text doesnt REALLY do the job of giving the details that the graphs and tables do.. and then who knows... maybe the blue grey motor would win one... but it is nice to see that the feild is getting closer when ALL the ### come out...

I agree mag should walk in to ANY dealer point at a boat, go to engine rack, point at a propeller, and filler up with accessories and then sign the papers and go run it.. no rigging, no factory worked setup... JOE blow off the street... no say in setup.. you get it as it comes STOCK... no tweeking at test time or adjustments save propellers to ANY rigging, engine height and weight distribution.. then it would be a fair test.. as we at screamandfly are about 5% of the market share the other 95% have just that... a bone stock boat loaded with gear, and only mod they have is a stainless prop of their choosing... setpack is never adjusted, trim is ran at level or slightly below, jackplate might as well as be welded inplace because it is nevermoved around.. then "realworld" numbers that even JohnQ publics uncle could reproduce would be printed. OR let the engines rev to the limmiter and or beyond...(reprogram,PCU, whatever necessary to get ALL that the engine can do) tweek EVERYLAST mph and rev out of the boat as possible, and print it ALL regardless of who is the winner... my frustration is that even if a engine/hull combination runs its best and is over the RPM limit STATED then it doesnt get printed.... there is a particular test that brings my point to home... the 17'CC triton test with 90's on it... that suzuki was 2nd or 3rd in top speed but due to a prop size limitation it was printed as the slowest combination when in truth it wasnt.. but it was hidden in the print rather than posted in the graphs... rather annoying....thats all

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know these boats run faster than most of us can make them run but do any of ya'll think you can post the numbers in the cars they test in MOTOR TREND AUTO WEEK ETC as for the merc running better and everyone wanting rudes to get there motor tweaked REMEMBER MERC WILL BE TWEAKING ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast