Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about since you are starting to test bay baots as well coming out and testing some of the oferings put out by northwest boat companies... as they are more intune to that style and walleye hulls than gofaast bassers but set up right they will run 60+ and or also a bay boat test of the same class of engines... say 4 stroke suzuki vs yamaha, verado, of 250 hp alongside the 250 2 stroke offerings from merc, yamaha, e rude....just an idea...

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&WB

I am quite happy with B&WB, I don't know of any other choices.
    geo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that again a Verado vs E-Tec comparison or finally Optimax against E-Tec??
    ~Outboard Maniac~

4. Thanks Hirk thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    225 XS optimax from the racing stables VS production Etec........ close to production VS production as merc will probably let happen..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npartin
    225 XS optimax from the racing stables VS production Etec........ close to production VS production as merc will probably let happen..
    do you ever get tired of being wrong? go back to scraping your zebra mussles....

Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr.
    That will be corrected in the next issue...the 225 Pro XS was prototyped at Racing, but is actually built on the standard production line.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 bad why dont you go tip your action on your head so we dont have to put up with your annoying sarcasim and complaining...

BTW
    DIRECT FROM MERCURY MARINE'S WEBSITE

DFI engine technology just got better. The new OptiMax® 225 Pro XS is lighter, more powerful and more fuel-efficient than any competitive engine in its class.

Engineered and developed by Mercury Racing,® this powerful new 3.0L powerhouse is the lightest in its class and delivers awesome hole shot, jaw-dropping mid-range punch and outstanding top-end speed – the perfect combination for bass boats.

The 225 Pro XS comes equipped with the exclusive Mercury Torque Master gearcase, with dual low-water pickups. Our heavy-duty propshaft allows for elevated engine installations, providing durability and performance on the hottest bass rigs.

Amazingly, the OptiMax 225 Pro XS delivers a three-star CARB rating on 87-octane fuel, making it perfect for bass rigs. Or, for that matter, anywhere that low emissions are important.

Specifications
    HP @ Prop: 225
    kW @ Prop: 168
    Max RPM (WOT): 5500-6000
    Cylinder/Configuration: V-6 (60 degree vee)
    Displacement (CID/cc): 185/3032
    Bore & Stroke (in): 3.63 x 3.00
    Bore & Stroke (mm): 92 x 76
    Ignition System: PCM 03 Digital Inductive
    Starting: Turn-key
    Gear Ratio: 1.75:1
    Gear Shift: F-N-R
    Steering: Remote
    Alternator Amp: 60 (belt-driven)
    Alternator Watt: 756 (belt-driven)
    Trim System: Power trim
    Recommended Oil: Mercury Premium Plus (TC-W3)
    Fuel Requirements: 87 octane
    Fuel Induction System: 2-stage direct fuel injection
    Shaft Length (inches): 20
    Shaft Length (mm): 508
    Dry Weight (lbs.): 505
    Available Propellers: Consult current dealer propeller guide
    CARB Star Rating: 3
    Warranty: 3 years
    Last edited by npartin; 06-12-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    your an idiot
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I understand it is, Merc Racing (their best engineers) developed it but it is manufactured on the regular production line.

Do you really think the BOMB had the Etec developed by their second tier engineers
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What difference does it make if the Merc comes from high performance hand built blah blah or a production line if it costs the same as the competitive engines and goes faster?

I was pulling for the Rude out of sentiment but if it were my money, I'd buy the Merc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great point David

David makes a great point. It doesn't make a bit of difference. Now, if it were a high-rpm engine with special internal components, etc., it would be a different story. The 225 Pro XS fits the mold of "high performance bass engine" perfectly. It matches up extremely well with the others tested against it.

Interestingly, we just finished up a 200 Shoot Out on Bass Cat hulls, and the results were different--and a lot closer.

JWTjr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point was that is was AS CLOSE TO EQUAL as it would probably EVER get even IF the 225 from merc was designed BY racing and built on production lines it is still out of their stables and not the STANDARD production engine stables BECAUSE of the fact it was DEVELOPED and TESTED by RACING not MERCURY PRODUCTION TESTERS.....

now as for the 200 test dont know yet, dont care and if I am SUCH an Idiot why does the mercury website state the Same thing... DEVELOPED BY MERCURY RACING NOT MERCURY PRODUCTION.... REGARDLESS who built it or tested it the results are real and they cant be argued unless Yamaha desides to change their Recomended RPM range to something more real world... like 6200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick.....

I think if you went back and looked at Mercury's history.... you would probably find that most of their motors were initially developed by their racing division. They have that division for R&D ( research & development..... not race & development)You should probably realize that the "Race Motors" do not get the 3 yr Consumer Warranty..... hand built or not and the XS is not anything different than the HO was for Johnson or Evinrude, or the Pro series for Yamaha. All of these are expected to have that little "extra" in performance.

There just isn't any "perfect world" to test each respective manufacturers models and B&WB makes the best effort they can to put everyone on an equal playing field. I think they do as good a job at that as anyone I have seen in the last 35 yrs or so.
    Having said that, I am relatively sure that the next issue of Merc vs whomever will more than likely have a different result......

Take it for what it is...... if there was only one company building outboards we would probably still be .......... well...... just fill in the remainder of that thought however you want......

Best regards..... Magic
    2000 Quartershot T3 " Skittles " 2.5 Mariner Magnum.....Retired!

Storm 206 XF Merc 3.2 Stroker 300 XS

1998 12' Cat Mercury 70 SS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing that should be noted the Evinrude and Yamaha weight was with steering oil tank etc according to the story and the Merc weight was with out these items and mentioned they add 25 to 30 pounds. I weighed an etec today going on a B&WB boat, it weighed 488 and the cowl was 23 for a total of 511 without acc. Yes the Merc is lighter and won the test, how about a retest and I set up the etec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer
    how about a retest and I set up the etec.

That sounds like a great idea

22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hummmhhh....

Racer, do it.

I just came off the road from calling on my boat dealer customers for the last two days and got some interesting poop.

First to Badstream and every one wanting to know where the E-tech fans are... they're right here.
    Get your info straight too before you start bashing. I bashed the Verado's not the Optimax's. I have heard plenty of negative on the Opti's (all from the Fla boys and most of them Merc guys) but know nothing one way or other.
    Again, my comments and Bombardiers marketing has been targeting the Verado which Merc has touted as the "second coming".
    On the Verado I have heard from a few very reputable sources that they are breaking clamp bracket assemblies.
    I asked one of my dealers about it yesterday and his reply was "it ain't a rumor". He said the last he had heard hard info (a couple months prior) was that the number was at nine and that one was still on the bottom of Lake Erie and did significant damage to the boat (I think a Bass Cat) and legal action is pending.

On the B/W test, the Merc won. Good job Merc!
    Now lets re-test with stock gear cases and gear ratios. When the test was first announced merc did not even offer the Sport Master on that motor. Hummmhhhh??
    No big deal but lets compare apples to apples here. Yeah you can buy the Sporty and that's awesome but don't you think there's a clear advantage there??
    Do any of you guys remember when Revvinrude bolted a Sporty on his Rude and went from 117 to 127 w/o touching anything else??? Hummmmhh?
    My dealer source (has sold the most V-6 E-Techs in a 4 state area and had four V-6's w/Lightning cases in stock) said they "are" working on a good case, they "are" looking at gear ratios, and they "do" have a 300 HP (V-6) E-Tech that has been running for months. Does'nt know (or wouldn't say) if they plan to release it or not though.
    He also said that testing has shown the stock E-Tech injectors capable of 10K RPM and supplying enough fuel to produce over 80 HP per hole.
    This same dealer is also a touring bass fisherman and runs a BassCat w/a 200 E-Tech (79 and change on GPS w/a stock l/u) and he told me "I have sold everything, built everything, and ran everything, and I've never seen or run anything like the new E-Techs". This guy has been a fully certified shop for over 40 yrs.

You guys can say what you want but it is coming!
    All Bomb needs now is a gear case and the first new gear ratio in 30 freagin years!!
    I'd like to see the test w/a Sporty on the E-Tech and the junk Rude unit on the Opti
    Last edited by Instigator; 06-15-2005 at 06:40 PM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast