Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promax temp

Since I had to rebuild my motor, it's been winter and fall. With the little mods(the only visible one is the hose from the poppit valve to the top the block now just goes out the back the cowl) Robberie made to my cooling system, my motor would run 140-145. Now that the air and water have heated up, it runs 155-160. Is this good or should I run the colder T-stats. I figure I'm running the 143 stats now and it's running around 15-17 deg warmer. If I were to go to the 130 degree stats, would it run 145-147 and if so, is that good. I know you steel motors need heat but is 160 to hot. I was told when the motor was rebuilt that I should run stats in the winter and washers in the summer to maintain 140-145 since its so hot in South Louisiana. Even with the washers, I would still go thru the little reduced pisser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    155 is the magic number as much over 165 will likely cause a piston to scuff over time. The washers work fine but if the water pressure is below 16psi @ WOT you might have to put the poppet valve back in. In florida we rarely run thermostats.
    Eagle One
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what i was thinking, with the water dumping out both sides, you prob need to run washers not tstats, but then you might get into not running enough heat, you will just have to try it.just get you a washer about the same thickness as the tstat with about a 3/8 hole and put the rubber around it just like the tstats and try that. just take the tstats with you just in case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poppit valve in still in. The water just goes out the back instead of top the block. If I run washers, will the temp get up on idle to where I can gas it on takeoff or will I have to take it easy until the engine builds heat?
    Last edited by chad202; 05-19-2005 at 03:24 PM.