Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy a Dodge if you like turning wrenches

I have a '98 1500 2wd quad cab.
    5.9L 360 with the 3.50:1 rear end, limited-slip differential, tow package.

@ 38000 I get a slight growling sound from the rear on route to the Daytona 500, coming from Ohio. By the time I get there it sounds like I have 44" Super Swampers on the back of the truck!
    I get home and find the pinion bearing is pitted to hell!
    Had to replace all races and bearings. Very time consuming and expensive.

@ 39000 If you lift the hood in the dark with the engine running, it looks like Chinese fireworks from the crappy plug wires installed at the factory.

@ 42000 The fuel guage shows full to 1/2 at all times, (found out when I ran out of gas).

@ 44000 Someone throws a cigarette out their window going 70 mph, hits my grill. An hour later sparks and smoke are flying out from under the hood. All of the hood insulation burnt off the truck!

@ 60000 It starts using a quart of oil every 150 miles or so. (Two stroke)? It spark knocks worse than anything I ever heard when towing or under mild acceleration on the highway. Run 93 octane and it doesn't do it as bad. Temp guage is normal, why the oil consumption? No leaks or smoke??? Turns out the bottom of the intake has a pan bolted to it with a broken gasket which is letting the intake suck oil into the motor. Major pain in ass to fix.

I guess it could've been worse, (Ford). Just kidding. I get frustrated with my truck when my dad has a '96 Chevy 3/4 ton 350 with the tow package that he has towed with for most of it's 130000 miles without ANY problems, NONE!

It's Chevy for me on the next one.

I had to add this since I just noticed a guy has a 2001 Dodge for sale on the Tow Rigs section.

I am venting/whining/bitching over my own personal experience with my Dodge. It ruined my whole weekend. That doesn't mean that they're all going to have the same problems. Hell, maybe they fixed half this stuff between '98 and '01!
    Last edited by LaserModVee; 01-15-2002 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmm???

I'm sorry tyou have had so much trouble with your Dodge but mine has been PERFECT... My Dodge is a 2001 Dodge diesel dually loaded with 4:10 gears, quad cab with 56000 miles now and has NEVER been in the shop......I use this truck for highway use with my business and it is VERY dpendable. I was just thinking on trading b/f it got to 80,000 or 90,000 miles... Before this I had a 1996 Dodge dually and it was perfect also... but on the other hand I had a 1999 Dodge Dually with the diesel that had been nothing but a piece of ****... It had been in the shop more than it had been on the road..
    So, I reckon trucks is like boats, they are some good ones and some bad ones....SO If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to give the VIN numbers on this truck and they can search the dealership for any troubles that they think this truck might have had but they will find it has NEVER been in the shop for ANY repairs other than Oil changes.. And is still under Warranty !!!!
    Thanks
    Mirage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right

After I posted that, I read it. Then I thought, "what I whiny ass". I know I'm not the only guy with car trouble out there, I was just getting sick of working on a "new" truck.
    Just like I said, my dad's Chevy has been perfect, but maybe his next one will be a lemon.

I guess some trucks, (the ****ty ones), were built on Mondays, (hungover), and Fridays, (payday), and I got one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i know all about the 1 ton chevys my company truck had 3,800 miles on it when the trans. started slipping the dealer installed a new trans. and it ran fine until i turned it in at 155,000 pritty good for a truck that hauls safe parts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    95 dodge lost the tranny @45K. Now own a chevy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found on road dead

i beat the krap out of my ford and the somebitch never breaks.

I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,coated in bubble gum,stuffed in a turducken. Δx Δp ≥ ℏ/2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one out of every 20 or so Dodges

Are just complete friggin Lemons. Thank god mine doesn't seem to be one of them. Most Dodge owners you talk to either have no problems at all or nothing but problems. And if you one with problems, I hear the manufacturer is a bitch to deal with.
    2004 Hydra-Sports Vector 2600 - twin 225 Yamahas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh man dont get me started. I have a 2001 Dodge RT Durango 5.9 engine 3;92 gears. what piece of ****. and company too. it rolled out of the show room and didnt even reach 400 miles and it was in for repairs. then like every month for like 5 months, repaired. The reverse lights stayed on in park, the tranny didnt do what the indicator said,the fan motor blew, now something clanks everytime i turn sharp, the rear is whining, burns a quart of mobil 1 syn. every oil change, I finally filed for lemon law and took them 7 more months to get me my money back. A whole damn year! I'll never buy a dodge again. its amazing, everytime someone hears about my problem they have a similar horror story to tell about themself or someone they know with dodge truck. this saturday I will be $13000 richer and dodgeless. I am looking into the new chevy trailblazer ext. this is the new one that is 14" longer with the third row seats. the little I-6 has 20 more hp than 5.9 V8 and gets a hell of alot better mpg. anyone have any chevy stories to share? I'm all ears
    Helmut
    slow boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh i forgot to add the oil is leaking from the steering rack and the tranny pan. not onto my new driveway yet but its wet around the area.
    Helmut
    slow boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laser?

LaserModVp,
    have you tried anything with the lemon law? I know here in Ohio that it's pretty strict and I personally know of a few peopel who have gotten brand new cars out of it , no questions asked. Good luck with your Dodge, sorry to hear about you problems.

When all else fails, I have a 1986 GMC 2500, it gives me crap all the time, excpet its got 168,000 on it, motor never been apart, (tanny once though), but hey it works, LOL, you are not whining by any means, we understand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modvp22,

No I have not looked into anyting legally. By the time the lemon law crossed my mind, I already had the thing torn apart!

Oh well, it's treating me good at the moment and it just turned 70,000. I am starting to like it again.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on the transmission, that is where I have heard most of the horror stories come from.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nointake.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    Man I hope your luck is better. @ good friends of mine, have dodges, 1 has a 97 Ram 1500 and the other has a 98 ram sport 1500. both are well, so far...the 1 was even hit head on in an accident and it still has no problems, guess thats a machine for ya, lol. But hey, always hear stories about all the makes I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool One of my customers has an '89 GMC 1500 P/U....

They are drywall contractors. 350 engine, 700R4 trans, not sure what rear, it got a new motor at 280,000, now has in excess of 400,000, and they work it everyday. They say they will retire it to backup status once it hits 500,000. Now that's a truck..........
    Last edited by Rickracer; 04-07-2002 at 08:00 AM.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Between Myself, two brothers and one Uncle we have owned 27 new fords over the last 12 years. Cars, trucks and Vans. Only bad issue Ever with any of them was my 91 Bronco Eddie Bauer lost the rear end on a snow mobile trip to ND towing 4 sleds (82k). And my 00 Mustang GT leaked water badly onto the passenger seat (Leather) going through the car wash when it was new, took them a week to figure out what was wrong. Otherwise we run them Hard up to 100-140K or so. 27 New ones and never been let down. Run em hard and put away wet! That being said when I rent a car for work (couple times a month) I love the chevy Impalla!! That is a Super nice ride for the cash, I like them more than the 3 Taurus' I have owned... Even tho its GM......
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I have a 98 24v diesel 4wd with 60k miles on it and a 94 12v diesel 2wd with over 200k miles on the clock........no problems with either.

The 94 was a "new" purchase to make that XtremeKingKab conversion/extension is primarily a over-the-road hauler so I picked a 2wd for that project.

The 94 is NO "jet" but it pulls like-a-freight-train at 1900 rpm's !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast