Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1990 Johnson stuck @ 3000 rpm

Customer brought in boat today and said it would only turn 3000. I checked the basics all are good. I'm thinking it might be stuck in slow mode. I checked the blocking diode in harness, its good, no horns going off or anything. I didnt get a chance to check the timer for not advancing all the way since it started to pour rain. I"m going to try and run the boat in morning to see what it does if theres no rain. What do you think, could it be stuck in slow or something else, if its stuck in slow I guess it would be the power pack bad. Am I right or wrong on this one. Sorry for the long post but dont work on many v6 Johnson. Its a 90 GT200 on a Gambler bass boat. Thanks guys Jason

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Slow hols engine at 2500 and it misses. Check to see if stator is leaking and the resultant material is locking down the timer base, timing is 18 degrees at 5k under load.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping youd reply. Customer says around 3000 so it could be 2500. I forgot to add that he is a fishing guide and his boat was fine untill last thursday when he hit a rock and cracked his gearcase. We installled a used one off a 86 150. He took the boat out mon, tues, and today with customers and it would only run up to 3000 according to him. He also said it didnt have the pep it usually had getting to 3000. The prop or nothing has changed except for the lower unit. It doesnt jump out of gear, shift rod height was correct etc. My only concern was possibly a different gear ratio since it was off a 150. But I researched and the best I could find was that all v6 omc used same ratio. 1.86.
    Ill check the timer base in the morning for advancement. Its strange b/c thurs it ran fine, Saturday I changed the gearcase and now it has no power. Jason

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably running on 3 cyls after you put it in gear,If your shift shaft length is a bit short and you didnt readjust the shift cable its probably pulling in the shift inturupter switch and droping a bank.Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you can also check for blown motor mounts maybe shifter is draggin,tight fit on old omc's,shift switch might be activating
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shift switch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the shift switch. The shift rod was to tall, so I adjusted it, readjusted his shift cable and everything was fine. Thanks very much for the help. Jason