User Tag List

Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 60 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - Joe Swift was my Dad. Do you have any more pictures of him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    steve my dad randy rabe would love to talk to u do u have a # where he can call u ?
    parker
    SEEBOLD CHAMPBOAT MERCURY S3000

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Swift

Here is a shot of your dad. It was from Havasu 1970

When I started at Mercury your dad was my mentor. He showed me the ropes as the Race Promotion Manager working for Garbrecht. My time with him was eventful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Havasu 1970 Swift.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me jog your memory
    7-22-68, you drove a 25'5" Sea craft #505 Joan -E at Lake X to a speed of 60.215 MPH
    Wt.3280
    KAM no.76661
    Triple engine, center was a standard 1250, port and stbd 1250 BP's
    RPM's L 5300, C5600, S 5600
    Props, L 12x24 3 bld, C 14x26 2 bld, r 12x24 3 bld
    Trans Ht. c 263/4, l and r 201/4
    Gear ratio, c 2:1, l and r 1.75:1
    tilt pin location 3
    wind calm, water slight chop, baro,30.07,temp 90, R.H.68
    Beam,7' 11"
    Transom angle 11 1/2
    Load, 840 LBS
    After New York race "check"
    Driver S. Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the story about Karl K. true when he fired the Coke man playing bigshot in front of some guests at the factory?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The version I heard was as E.C. pulled into the driveway on the west end of Plt.#5 ( the Oshkosh boathouse ), he observed a guy just standing next to the side entrance door smoking a cigarette. When he got out of his car, the man nodded and continued his smoke. E.C. asked what his name was and how much he earned per week. E.C then went into the plant, told one of the secretarys to write a check - he went back outside and handed the man the check and told him to get off of his property - the Coke truck driver said thank you and left

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schwab
    Is the story about Karl K. true when he fired the Coke man playing bigshot in front of some guests at the factory?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had heard something similar. Except he was showing off as he so loved to do with some hot shots in the car, and to impress them, he canned the Coke guy realizing that the guy was not even an employee after he told him. Regardless of the true sequence, it probably happened. That's freeken hysterical!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good stuff!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are never enough stories that come from those days.
    Jeff Bare
    Gig Harbor, WA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where is seeroy

all i can say is WOW. great stories. i see it has been a while since steve has posted a story? anybody now whats going on?
    Last edited by barr151; 03-31-2006 at 10:18 PM.
    Patrick
    Excuses only please the person telling them!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny Bakos lives in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. At last knowledge, he still maintains a hanger at the local airport where he keeps his airplane and works on restoring some autos. The last car that I know that he was working on was a Shelby.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow

I just found this thread and spent my lunch hour reading it. I live about 4 miles from lake X, and when it was still open, I would love hearing the boats running over there. When my one year old is haing a hard time going to sleep, me or my wife drive here out to the front gate and back. She's usually asleep before we get there. Last time I was out there it looked like they have removed the tower at the end of the canal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve, from compadre Richie

Don`t forget me, I was there, it`s great actually reading the stuff you wrote. I`m afraid to start with all my stuff, I was the only guy that continued on besides Bill from Merc. Lake X original team. Stopped in 94 after crash with Tom Gentry, racked up over sixty carreer victories, seven world championships, two world speed records, etc. etc. etc. all came from the hard work we had to put in under coach K. aka the Buck aka mr. K. we need to tell all the stories, our sport of Offshore as well as most other forms of marine racing has no recorded history, I think it`s time something was done about it. we need to remember the past hero`s of our sport and some how honor them and their contributions to the sport, while we can. I miss you and the rest of the guys, we need a reunion. I told a TV station about doing a feature and they thought it would be great. Look forward to future communication with you, and maybe we can dig out some others who were there. what you say is all real, I was there, I was just the quite one, afraid to get in trouble by hanging out with you guys so much. I was only 19 yrs old, I lied on my application to APBA so I could race. Talk to you soon. R.P.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the memories

What great stories. I now live in South Dakota but grew up in Winter Haven and Melbourne Floride. When I was 14 I had a job working for the Mercury Dealership in Winter Haven. It was owned by Gerald Emory and his two sons Charlie and Richard both worked there. The marinna was located on lake May and I lived on Lake Mirrow which was four lakes away in the chain. We had just been shipped a new moter from Mr. K as he wanted us to try it out . This must have been about 1956 or 1957. The engine was a Mark 26, Pink and sat at what appeared to be at an extream angle on the transum. I was given the OK to take the flat bottom 14 boat with that new engine on it, home for lunch. On the way home I decided to buzz a buddies house that lived on lake Cannon. The rig must have been going about 30 and I put it in a sharp turn when the boat started sliding sideways and the engine broke in half where it was attached to the bracket clamped to the boat. Its still in the lake in about 10 feet of mud bottom.

Either 1957 or 58 My Dad took me on the Kississemme river boat-a-cade There were about 600 boats and the trip started at the town of Kississimme and went to Ft. Meyers. The water level was high and the river was full of weeds. The Mercury's sat on the transums at more of an angle than did the OMC engines and the Johnsons and Evenrudes had to stop every 1/2 mile and shift to reverse to spin off the weeds but the Mercury's didn't. Before we got to the big lake most of the OMC engines had burned up the shifting dogs but the Mercurys were doing fine. Well, Mr. K had been flying over the route and noticed this so he landed and got on a Factory Parts boat and headed up the river. Wasn't far when he came across a new boat with two new Jophnson 35's on it and was broken down., He pulled next to them, introduced him self then told the Johnson owners that if they would un bolt those two new Johnson engines and through them into the river, he would have his guys but two new Mark 55's on their boat free. Well that story went all over amoung the boaters and Karl was the topic of most conversations the rest of the way. Needless to say the OMC,s might still be in the Kissimme River.

My Dad raced in the Family Run-a-bout class in the late 1940's and The Higgins boat company had loaned hin a molded wooded 14 foor boat to race. There was somthing special about that boat as it only wet about 12 inches of bottom and it was 10 MPH faster than any one he raced against. This was in the late 1940's and he won a ational Championship with it. The boat made history and I have a page from the Higgins Company news letter with a picture of it running in a race in Clearwater. The title of the story is THE BOAT THAT NEARLY FLEW. Mr. Higgins wanted the boat back and gave dad another one just like it but the replacement wet most of the entire bottom and he nevwr won anothger race in that class. The last time Dad saw the boat that nearly flew was while on a fishing trip on Lake Kissimme where it was full of water and rotted out.

In miss boating and apperciate all the stories about St. Corix, and Lake X.
    Thanks for the memories.

Ken Recker Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richiepakasticks
    Don`t forget me, I was there, it`s great actually reading the stuff you wrote. I`m afraid to start with all my stuff, I was the only guy that continued on besides Bill from Merc. Lake X original team. Stopped in 94 after crash with Tom Gentry, racked up over sixty carreer victories, seven world championships, two world speed records, etc. etc. etc. all came from the hard work we had to put in under coach K. aka the Buck aka mr. K. we need to tell all the stories, our sport of Offshore as well as most other forms of marine racing has no recorded history, I think it`s time something was done about it. we need to remember the past hero`s of our sport and some how honor them and their contributions to the sport, while we can. I miss you and the rest of the guys, we need a reunion. I told a TV station about doing a feature and they thought it would be great. Look forward to future communication with you, and maybe we can dig out some others who were there. what you say is all real, I was there, I was just the quite one, afraid to get in trouble by hanging out with you guys so much. I was only 19 yrs old, I lied on my application to APBA so I could race. Talk to you soon. R.P.
    Hey Richie Powers...........

Who can forget you?........

Let me be the first to welcome one of the greatest offshore competitors in the history of the sport to our site. Your anecdotes will be a welcome addition. Who knows maybe you and I and Brownie can collaborate and write that book?

T2x.

P.S. Darren sends his regards
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 60 ... LastLast