Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Exclamation shipping a boat to denmark from new york?

this guy bought my boat on ebay and has already gave me a pay pal deposit so i take it he is serious. i thought it was pretty shady until pay pal said youve got cash! so i stopped tryin to report the guy and checked my mail where i found he is serious and wants to send the boat to florida then shipped (litterally) to denmark. this guy knows the boat is sold as is where is and has got a great deal on it. so wuts the catch? has any one seen any new scams like fake money though paypal? he gave me his number but parents will kill me if i call denmark. waitin for him to call me... man i hope hes the real deal...

kevin
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    dude, get that money OUT of paypal ASAP... hold on for a few days to make sure he doesn't try to pull it back out on you. THEN if it all goes well and you have cash in hand, talk to Alan Power about shipping a boat over. he did it with his.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    thanks man yea i pulled the money out of paypal bout 20mins after he put it in my account, i am waiting to see it apear in my account...

will talk to alan thanks!

kevin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this guy gave you money down and you pulled it out of paypal can he get it back ? As long as he does not have some kind of recourse available it seems OK to me. Its smart to feel unsure on your part with all the scams that have gone on and still go on with overseas sales. It seems like it might be ligit but I'd still be wary untill you have all the money.
    OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

"No good deed goes unpunished"

81 Sanger Alleycat

1984 21' Carrazza w/mariner magnum 2.5 200 EFI

www.rinaldi-engines.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    oh i am wary believe me, but hes making it seem real legit he asked me if i can leave the boat where it is untill shipment can be arranged or does he have to move it right away. after the money is in my hand of coarse!

yea he sent me the NON REFUNDABLE deposit. so it seems like hes serious....

kevin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds good. Was it a cash transfer from a bank account or a cash transfer from a credit card ? If it was from a credit card I would watch out. I say this not really knowing but only from a business owners stand point. The customer has the right to claim unsatisfied and get the money pulled back out of your account and into his. Now this may only work with a business and may not be the same with a sale to a private owner but it is something to think about. Did the money show up in your account yet ? I know if a CC was used that it will take a day or so for the transaction to be complete. It should be a matter of minutes if it was a cash transfer from an active bank account. What ever you do , do not agree to take a higher amount and give him back the difference. That seems to be the bases of most scams I have heard of.
    OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

81 Sanger Alleycat

www.rinaldi-engines.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yea he paid me 200.00 through pay pal and i pulled it out of the accound asap bout 30mins after he put it in so pay pal said it would take 3-4 buis days for the money to get to my account same as it has always done, have i seen the money yet? no, but i dont think pay pal would have let me take it out of his account unless it was there right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only question would be, why just a down payment ? If he is serious I would wonder why not just pay it in full , not like he is going to check it out before he gets it. Unless he will be in the states at some time soon. I have delt with a few people overseas in transactions with cars and all after committing to the sale have paid in full and arranged transportation soon after that. Then again maybe he is checking you out too so he feels he wont get ripped off. I hope the sale goes thru without a hitch, best of luck with it.
    OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

81 Sanger Alleycat

www.rinaldi-engines.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kevin, what northeastcat said could be true, he could be checking you out too, the fact that he came through with the deposit straight away and is in no hurry to ship the boat kinda suggests he is ligit, I know when I shipped my boat it took a while to organise shipping, you do need to talk to the guy and sus things out, get an international phone card, they cost about a tenner and you get about 60 mins transatlantic depending on which country.

I paid the deposit for my boat by credit card over the phone and sent the ballence to the US shipping co's office which was exchanged after the boat was loaded into the container and ser. no's were checked etc. All this was agreed over the phone days in advance. But you see how cautious I was, it's to be expected when two strangers do buisness over the net thousands of miles from each other, try and make it a little more personal by talking on the phone puts both parties nerves at rest. Turned out the guy I bought my boat off was a realy cool guy and he was born in Ireland too!

Wait and see if the cash clears and go from there! Like i said in the PM, why florida??? NJ is much closer and is the main port serving Europe! Is the guy going to be in Fl or does he even know you can ship from NJ?

You need to talk to him, but DON'T hand anything over untill you're happy you have your money and the deal is sweet!

Alan

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name?

Baja, what is this guy's name? Is it Ben Kelly or some other American sounding name, almost like a stage name? I had two guys (maybe the same one) just a couple of weeks ago going ballistic about two old Johnson snowmobiles that I had for sale on an Internet site. They were pleading with me to give them a "final" price to hammer the deal home. "shipping is no problem, I have a freight forwarder that will do everything, let's close this deal quickly, etc. etc." I told him that I wasn't going to box up a parts sled and ship it to.....

HOLLAND

Holland isn't Denmark, but it's not far away.

Watch your ass.....seems kind of funny that you should have this happen so soon after I did.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another one!

Baja, I got another one about an old outboard motor I'm trying to sell. Watch your ass! It followed the same pattern as the snowmobile deal. Horrible English and a stage name, along with a reference to "last price". Here's the exact text from the e-mail I received.

Hello,
    I'm jennifer by name,i want to make enquiry about your (1937 2hp
    Thor/SeaKing) cos i want to buy it for my private use.What the price
    last,cos i intend coming to your location for the shipment and to see it
    ok.Waiting to hear from you as soon as possible..
    jennifer...
    N.B I will like to know the last price
    --

This stuff is apparently like a rash all over the Internet. This one came from an address at outgun.com and the one on the snowmobile deal came from marchmail.com. Almost looks like it's something automated with the motor shown in parenthesees. They also seem to call whatever you are trying to sell a "product" and refer to "the shipment". Like they are buying a trainload of fertilizer or steel or something. Weird. Wonder if it's just something to get you to reply to plant a virus.
    Last edited by Ron V; 12-14-2004 at 11:51 PM.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be careful doing this transaction through Paypal....

With their policies, even if the funds clear, the recipient can claim that they didn't get the product, or it wasn't to their satisfaction and Paypal will give them back their money and deduct it from your account. Then you have to fight with paypal to get your money back.

If you have your credit card or bank account linked to your paypal account, paypal will try and take the funds from them if you don't have money in your actual paypal account.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling boat to Denmark

Three comments:

1. It is not expensive at all to call Denmark from the US. I know that many Americans are really scared about making international calls, but as long as you are not using a cell-phone, you will not pay more for calling Denmark today than what people paid for US long-distance calls not that many years ago.

2. The fact that the PayPal is credit card-backed might not mean much if it is a foreigner. It might just be a lot simpler to set it up that way for him.

3. The Danish buyer will probably run into trouble getting insurance for the boat, since it is not CE certified, but I guess he will not discover that until he has bought it
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Kevin......

There are pitfalls in any transaction. I have shipped a LOT of boats to Europe in the last year. The EURO is really strong against the dollar right now and therefore the Europeans have been over here in mass buying American goods. The word here is caution...... but do not err and "assume" that all transactions are bad. In other words use common sense...... if it sounds to good to be true then act accordingly.

Currently....most boats shipped to Europe are through the Jacksonville, Fla port or JAXPORT as it is known. It is the most economical port to ship from. HULL is the predominant shipper, but your buyer will have to go through a shipping agent. The easiest and most secure way is to have the funds transferred electronically from his bank to yours...... and I don't mean via a wired check. Check with your bank to be sure of EXACTLY the way they want it done. It isn't hard.....is very safe..... and I've done it 20+ times in the past year. Do NOT release the boat to the shipper until your funds are clear..... no matter what they say. In essence make it clear to your buyer that you will not release until funds are clear in your bank.

I know there are scams galore out there..... but if you have any doubt, the price of a phone call is worth it....or in the alternative, ask the Buyer to call you at a phone that has caller ID. Pretty simple..... not everyone is a scammer......and it is really a fairly common thing right now. If you have any questions....let me know and I'll try and help you through it.

Best Regards..... Mike

PS..... One more piece of advice.... take pictures of the boat as delivered...it prevents any questions from arising at a later date from the shippers rough handling of their cargo...... had a trailer end up in Denmark with a snapped axle, the wheel was thrown into the boat...Thankfully, I had a whole set of pictures as delivered and the questions were all resolved. The guy didn't insure the boat, and it was between him and HULL....... end of problem for me.
    Last edited by Black Magic; 12-17-2004 at 07:10 PM.
    2000 Quartershot T3 " Skittles " 2.5 Mariner Magnum.....Retired!

Storm 206 XF Merc 3.2 Stroker 300 XS

1998 12' Cat Mercury 70 SS