Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Mercury/Tohatsu 6 hp 4-stroke

I know that some will laugh at this, but believe me, I am serious about doing the following:

Can anyone tell me the best way to get more hp/performance out of this little motor? Going with something larger or heavier just isn't an option because of the size of my boat (18 ft. modified canoe) and the restrictions on some of the lakes that I frequent.
    I've already done the obvious (bigger jet and installing a stabilizing fin on the lower unit), and overall the boat performs flawlessly with the exception of the fact that I'm tired of getting passed by the typical jonboats with their 9.9s and 15s!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can advance timing untill it pings and back it down 1-2 degrees to optimise power output, you can remove any obstructions to airflow in to carb, IE any gards or scielencers before carb , build a velosity stack, port heads and install larger valves if available, basiclly anything that can be done to a lawnmower can be done on that ob same basic technology... you wont ever be able to keep up with a 15 but you should be able to keep them in your site ... also look to see if parts on 8hp nissan/merc are interchangable and substitute parts as necessary and adabtable to gain power.. realistically though you might only gain a hp or two...

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Port the heads, up-jet it, bump the compression up pretty stiff and run 100+ octane...No more fuel than that little sucker can use, the cost of running strange brew is less than an issue.. Man, that sounds like fun messing around with less expense.. Just good 'ol friendly competition...
    Kevin Kiser