Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

smaller car but I have more horsepower and better brakes than most trucks on the road!
    She Rocks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gttower1.6jpg.jpg   gttower1.6jpg.jpg  
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

HEY GUYS,

I got a ton of respect for those of you that tow with your smaller tow vehicles...

...Like Sean G. Says are best buddy tows his Stoker with his Gulf Diesel....

...but on more then enuff, occasions, guess who is helping him out...in and around the launch ramp....the 4x4 guys!

Don't get me wrong...I love helping him out, thats what it is about!!

I am sure some of you boys have some tales to tell us about the launch ramp woes...Lets hear them....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

warm up the tires!

I would be embarrassed if I had to ask for help. Here's what I did one time:

I Set the parking brake to keep from rolling back any further.
    GUN IT! Smoked the hell out of the tires for about 3 seconds, then dropped the parking brake. Tires kept spinning, but I gained enough ground and got the thing out of the water!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talking

The good news is my Ventura V4 combo is 1123lbs so I can easly get it out of messy launch ramps.
    Hell last labor day I had to splash it on a sand and gravle ramp where the water was only 2 feet deep. I ended up pushing it off like the queen marry on the maden voyage.
    The bow went straight up in the air and I got some water in the boat over the splash well.... If I had the truck or Van I would have just backed in more but its much more fun to tow with the Mustang!
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey ALLISON7710

Hey, nice truck... I as well have the RedNeck thing going on for the tow rig... 93' Silverado 3/4ton... blew that 35o off road though, so opted for a stroker,(383) no more computer though!! lol... I Like spending all that gas money!!! hahaha, not really,. but I can't find a way to hitch up to the sport bike, so it'll have to do.. Plus, with some of the crap launches, I'd be nervous without the 4x4 and tyres.... Anyway, Iw as curious to what ya do for the boat hull when towing, toi keep the rocks and stuff from the road from hitting off the tires??? I am going to rig up a removable piece of rubber, like a conveyor belt to the bottem of the reciever, wanna stay away from cheezy mudflapps! any other ideas???
    Take it easy,
    ~Tony~
    no pic with boat in tow yet, will get one soon.....
    80' Vector, White Frig off the transom under restoration.
    Stratos fish n ski, 200 hp Johnson. More family friendly!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey Karl....

You are going to ripp on a guy towing with the wifes saturn ??? well, yea, I suppose, that big bad NISSAN does have quite the horsepower advantage, right??? Such a manly tow rig. hahaha You said men drive TRUCKS, is that really worthy of being called a truck?!?!?! Let me guess, the motercycle ya have is a Honda rebel 250?!?!??!?!!?! hahaha
    Hey man, it's all in good humer, so relax!!!!!! lol........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh, its all good!!!!!

hey, to all you with the cars, thats all good, and I'll surely lend a hand with a lil' yank strap at the ramp if ya need... We all love boating, as long as we get the damned things in the water, thats all that matters, right?!?!
    My only question is how are the brakes and all with the little cars?? Minus the 'Stang..... lol... drive safe, and get the boat in the water, worry about getting them out after words!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Slippery ramps

For those of us with only two wheels doing the pulling, you can easily make an extension out of some steel tube to get the wheels out of the slippery stuff.
    Just bolt couplings at either end to suit your particular car and trailer, and let the jockey wheel keep the front of the trailer off the ground.
    Works great. You can make it as long as you want.
    I have even seen front drivers over here with small towballs under the front bumper, but front drive is just wrong!

Regards, Andrew.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I towed my Glastron HVP175 w/ a modified 89 Mustang GT. Handled ok, pulled the boat out of the water better than my buddies F150.

I've got a 95 Z71 now, biggest POS I've ever owned. Soon to be towing an XB2002. Anyone want an 81' Glastron HVP175 w/ weak transom?

The strangest I've ever seen was a guy in town who towed a 25' offshore fishing boat with a CJ7. Talk about an accident wating to happen.

Last edited by CDave; 05-16-2002 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use to tow a 32' sunshine with and 1987 s-10.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mvc-008f.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle

I don't have any problems with using a car to tow trailer, but I'll stick with tow vehicle. I have an S-10 with a ZZ4 crate engine, 175 shot of nitrous, a 3000 RPM converter, 3.73 gears and so on. We use this to tow the boat and the race car. I'll send some pics after I get my desktop running again.
    Jeff & Suzette Georges

Nitrous for your motor is like cocaine........a little probably won't hurt, the problem is only doing a little!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my rig

My rig is attached:

I'm not so sure about small cars towing 18-20ft boats. Horsepower is my smallest concern. Brakes aren't even the biggest concern. Risk to others is my biggest concern.

If you were going around a corner, even slowly in your small car/big boat rig and HAD to stop, what are the chances that your boat would not push your car around to the point that it spun out. What if it were wet? When the boat is heavier than the car (espeically if it is a lot heavier), the boat's mass can take really away your control of your car. What if it is windy? What about a passing big truck.

Yes, to a certain extent you can take it easier and that will help, but I'm still worried about risks to others. Your transmission might bust or whatever, but that is only damage to your own property. Hurting somebody else is my real concern.

Yes, I sort of find it funny and cute to see a small car/big boat combo, but when you think about the risks, it isn't fair to take a risk that could end up hurting somebody else.

I'm only talking about situations where the boat is lots lighter than the car, is underbreaked or the like. For example, a modern family sedan may be a safer tow vehicle than a 1970's F Truck (I've never driven an F).

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails car+boat2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towed with a short bed V6 Ranger and that was good. Even towed a 4,000 lb trailer with it. Trailer had brakes and it was fine except for going 35 MPH up some of the hills in NE Tennessee. 25 MPG

Then used a Crown Vic for many years. Even in West By God Forsaken Virginia. That's where I saw people with CJ's and Rav4s and Geo Trackers roll right on into the Kanawha River because the ramps were too long and steep. Crown Vic just walked right on off with my 2,500 lb rig. 25 MPG unloaded, 18 towing

Got a Durango now. Unloaded, that 'Stang will take me easily. I really doubt it would towing and my suspension and brakes are designed for it. 16 MPG loaded or not. Doesn't get any more comfortable either. Very good seats, great A/C, CD changer, room for whatever I want to carry, 318 has enough power for whatever I might want to do, especially with a boat behind me.

The safety of having a tow vehicle designed for towing and heavy enough to maintain control of the load in just about any conditions is well worth the gas mileage. Going on a trip without a load, the SO's '92 Accord get 35 MPG and is very comfortable. Need to handle a load, The Durango is it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have more money tied up in my boat than my tow vehical also. One way to really make people look, and get out of a tough landing in a hurry, is to have a friend drive the vehical and you fire up the boat. It will launch you out of the water in a hurry. Just make sure you have the jack plate up high enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc01913.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question just a question

does it really mater what you use as long as the boat gets to the water!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast