Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury Optimax - Opinions Please

I am looking at an Optimax 225, year 2001 with 25" shaft. It has a new CPU and with a three year warranty from Merc. The recall was taken care of by Merc. Never used, factory reconditioned. Any opinions on this engine is appreciated, I do not intend to use it for racing, just for a fishing boat, offshore.
    You only live once so live well.

B.O.A.T
    Break Out Another $Thousand

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very good "out the Hole" We have people using them for surf launging. Very light on fuel and oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been plenty of "issues" since the introduction of these engines. But by now, much has been learned and we should see fewer problems. If you are purchasing an older model, the critical thing is to be sure that all of the "update campaigns" have actually been done to your particular engine.
    If you give your serial number to a Merc dealer they can enter it in their computer link to Merc and find out the complete warranty history on your motor as well as tell you if there are any "open campaigns" for that engine.
    The V-6 Optimax has very good torque and is very fuel efficient.
    Be sure to prop the engine so that it can get close to its rev limit...it is not good to "lug" these engines. Be sure to run mid-grade fuel as well as a top quality oil like Merc's Opti Oil, or Premium Plus or Amsoil HP Injector Oil.
    I also recommend running STABIL in your fuel at all times. This will help keep the fuel system clean...even if the boat sits for months between outings.
    The condition of your cooling system is critical...not only are you cooling the powerhead, but also the air compressor and the fuel system. If you boating in salt water, and leaving the boat in the water, I would recommend servicing the water pump, as well as your thermostats and water screens. Hopefully you have a digital model and therefore can use a system monitor to keep tabs on your water pressure and engine temp. By the way, running too cold can be just as bad as too hot. Salty therms or a sticking poppet valve can cause cold running if things choose to stick "open".
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Optimax, but it requires attention to routine service to keep it troublefree and dependable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a 2001

I purchased it from the dealer brand new. Mercury recalled it before it was ever sold for a faulty CPU unit, all outstanding tickets were replaced. It came with a three year warranty. I am using premium plus oil in it and testing the props now. I had a 19 pitch prop but only reached 5200 RPM, I am going to try the 17 pitch now, I need to be at 5750 RPM.

I did get the SC1000 SmartCraft system gauges for tachometer and speedometer but have not put it on yet. I am waiting for them to come in from the dealer.

B.O.A.T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY
    Run Optimax or DFI oil, premium plus isn't the correct oil.

It's a totally different system then the carb or EFI models, don't monkey with this. Read your warranty also, that oil is not what they want in the Optimax.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, when the belt breaks the air compressor stops...and so does the engine.

Regarding oil, Merc's Premium Plus WAS the recommended oil for Optimax engines, until they came out with their OPTIMAX OIL. The new oil is different and should not be used in other conventional 2 strokes...it is just for the DFI engines.
    If I had an Optimax I would run Amsoil HP Injector oil, my next choice would be Merc's Opti Oil and third choice would be Premium PLus. and after that.....well, ANY synthetic oil that states on its label that it is formulated for DFI 2 stroke engines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dealer informed me

That the Premium Plus oil is all I need to run in this motor, they even used it when they rigged it. Is quicksilever the same as the mercury brand?

thanks for the tip on the belt, I will get a spare to keep on the boat. How often do they break?

B.O.A.T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dealer is just wrong. If you refer to merc information, they are very specific they want you to use the Opti Oil.

It's a different motor, it has different requirements than a carb or EFI engine.

The optimax uses far less oil than the other motor, you will offset the cost by the fact it's just not getting used.

We sell lots of optimax engines, and the ones who used opti oil or another synthetic have not had any issues, the ones using other, we've seen some plug problems, and they just seem to not run as consistent.

Cheap insurance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Sh*%

Ain't that good ole Mr. Murphy

B.O.A.T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pmgoffjr,

It states right on the Mercury/Quicksilver PrePlus oil container that its for optimax engines too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bwm
    pmgoffjr,

It states right on the Mercury/Quicksilver PrePlus oil container that its for optimax engines too.
    yep, that's right...
    ~Outboard Maniac~