Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Build Your Own SportsHydro

Welcome to the help build a SportHydro project Post

I'm building a 3 point hydro Called a Sports Hydro, I would love to have all the input I can as this is my first Hydro build in years and it ain't no pumpkin seed !!

These boat plans started in a 1962 Science and Mechanic artical that I found who knows where. The plans then came from a web site
    http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/SportsHydro

I hope you will all look at these to see what we are starting with

Jeph422 will be building one also he and I are building the same Hull for a EAST vs. West build !!

I will be building mine old school. Ya I know Safety!! That is all are concern but it ran then and it will run now. How ever Jeph is building his tech and his will evolve over the corse of his build.
    things like rack and pinion steering , maybe a jackplate, possiblly a four stroke WHO KNOWS?? what the buget or "free" stuff will allow. WE ARE BUILDING THESE BOATS OUT OF OUR POCKETS JUST LIKE YOU WOULD!!!

We a re hoping to have a magazine pick up the story soon and we will do a comparison on these two boats just for fun and to see what technoligy has brought us in the last 40 years.

Wish us luck and feel free the build along with us

Jeff & Jeph
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    I'd slam my d*** in a car door before I'd comment on this thread.
    This almost beats cheesey!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Jeph will win! You atleast gotta be able to use a jackplate Post lots a pics, and most of all have fun!
    89' Hydrostream Vista 200XP
    Delta 3cyl FORCE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've narrowed the plans down to one or two places to get the cd. I've been frantically chasing plans on Ebay to make sure they are the ones I want to use. There are about 5 or 6 people selling the 3 point sporthydro, but only one guy has all his plans listed as being in raw format so they can be blown up to full size with no problems. The only problem, is that he is not sure if his plans have the sports hydro on them. If I do not hear anything back form him by this weekend, I will just buy any of the other sets that are in PDF format. as soon as I get them, me and Hottruck will at least be able to get our lumber order placed. Or maybe not. depending upon how complete they all are. I hope someone out there has built one and will know of any "roadblocks" we may come across. As far as changing the design of the sports hydro, I would'nt mind changing the design to work better, but any bigger, and I'll need to buy a bigger motor, and I know my wallet won't let me. But I'm game for any design changes to make it ride better, so long as they are simple enough for someone who has never built a boat to understand.

Jeph-
    The left half of the East Coast, West Coast Shootout.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Very Important!!

The most important thing COST$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This Hull ONLY cost we are hoping will be around $600
    lumber, fasteners, epoxy, finish ect.

The Rigging will be at the builders buget and how fancy you want it.

Specs. ,in 1962 stated 50 mph with a stock 45 hp Merc
    with a weight of around 375 Lbs

As far as Horse Power I'm looking for something ( cerca 1962 or 3 )and Jeph will do his best to match it but we are thinking around 50 hp MERC. So if you have something old school and cheap!! we'll be one step closer. I would love to find an old race lower and some props ??HELP!!!!!!! I need all the Help I can get to put this no smoke'n Non Two stroken left coast trash back on the trailer he came on !!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Classic Boats

Guys try contacting Skip Hagerman, maybe he can help you out. He runs a site with loads of projects and rebuilds etc. All old school...

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

site

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice idea

wish i would have thought of it first. oh well i guess brilliant minds think alike and sometimes even at the same time.

anyhow, i.m.h.o. , this boat isnt going to run very well without a major tuneup.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx AeroMarine

Well it looks like Jim Russell, P.Eng. of AeroMarine Research offered to help !!!!
    Thanx Allen the website link you gave was full of info on everthing!!

Now all we need is to weed through theinfo and make it happen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff-

Do you think the software he makes will allow us to small changes, without changing the basic structure of the boat? If the changes we make, are just a simple matter of adding a few peices of wood here or there, I say lets do it, but I'm still leary of doing any structural changes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got it figured out

Okay, so I finally ordered the right cd for the plans. I get them off of Ebay for $9.99 plus shipping. The cd has the plans in raw format so I can blow them up full size. This is the starting point. So as soon as they get here, I will make three sets of full size plans and mail one set off to Jeff. I'm going to need a hand with my lumber list, so I'm gonna wait till we both have a set in hand before ordering. I've been doing some thought on which wood to use, and I think I'm going to use all sitka spruce and mahogany ply. I can get it local from an aircraft supply house for a decent price.

Jeph-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb kool job!

Looks like another well done job Jeph Now all you need to do is get me my copy and we'll be done

thanx
    Jeff

P.S. Fla is nice this time of year,he he he!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no?

no plans for mike?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops

I thought you were out on using the sport hydro plans. I figured you were going the route of doing something a little more custom. Absolutely you can get a set. I'd like you to use them just so we can all get an idea and help each other out. Especially if you do a lot more "mods" to yours. You can play guinea pig. If your runs bitchin, then we'll know what to do on ours next time around.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes me, let me

i would be honored to be the test mule. my intentions have always been to major modify but to closely follow the plans as a guide on how to build a wooden hydro. while some of the dimensions are a little askew it is still the best guide i have seen.
    the names of all the pieces , where they are on the boat, and in which order they are attached, in my opinion is the real golden value of the plans.undoubtedly once we are all mid stride something way better will surface.
    looking forward to everyones input

ALSO.............
    one particular guru on here seems to really have some major hands on experience and has really put up some excellent post's.
    we need to keep this fella"C/E" on speed dial.
    Last edited by boatermike; 10-15-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I'm putting C/E on permanent speed dial. Anyone with that kind of experience building boats is going to be priceless for us on this venture.
    Another thing we need to consider is timing on this build. I am game for moving as fast as possible right now, but I am worried it is going to take a little longer to build than I anticipate. For me, this is not an issue because being in CA, my lakes are better in the winter than in the summer, but for Jeff, he'll end up dodging icebergs up the river unless we finish the boat in time for Winterhaven. I would like to put some good serious thought into getting the project going and having everything ready, and then deciding if we should wait for spring, or just hammer this now. All three of us should really be doing this at the same pace to help each other out. Plus, for me, I'm no rich kid, and other than a few sponsors I have, that will be working with me, I'll need to buy parts a little bit at a time. Especially since I'll be doing a hi-tech build. I don't really have the option of getting an old school motor out of a boat yard, if we're going to be doing this for Old School versus New School comparisons. Besides, I can't wait to blow the bow off of that 2 strokin, smoke makin, jack plate needin, chopper prop wantin, no gps havin, oh my god it's too cold out here sayin, boat from the east coast. hehehe. I can't wait to get started now. Most of all, I can't wait to just have fun with this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast