Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 merc 225 opti gurus needed?

these direct injection ones are new to me,but if i can rebuild 2.5 drags in my sleep then i think i can rebiuld these.i bought one with big hole where rod exited i found a new block and crank is fine (big end of rod stayed intacked).this is 2000 model and i here they have changed a few things to increase reliability.i have heard that these motors need a warm up at start up to prevent cold seizures more so then any other motor?i have heard they have changed thermostats to higher degree temp?i have heard they have changed to different size air injector and possible heat range change on spark plugs?any info is helpful as we will be puttin in on the wifes brand new stoker sport tunnel and cant afford any catastrophys.thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sugguest you give your serial number to a local Merc dealer so they can tell you whether or not there are any "open campaigns" on your engine. An open campaign is a warranty upgrade that should have been performed for free while the engine was under warranty. I have run into a few engines that somehow didn't get the work done. There have been numerous upgrades over the past few years...but much depends on your engine's serial group.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older 225s were nicknamed Opti-Pops

Because they tended to put rods thru the bock. Follow sosmerc's advice and fully research all the upgrades and changes. These motors had thermal sensor and thermostat problems, as well as a problem with loading up at idle. The suggested plug has changed numerous times, with the latest plug being the iridium fine wire electrodes running a gap of .03 or so. I would also suggest propping to the middle of the suggested rpm range since Opti's do not survive over-revving or lugging conditions. Setting up an Opti is more like setting up an old OMC crossflow- not too fast, not too slow or she blows up. Last suggestion for an early 225 is to drain the oil tank and run ONLY the special Merc DFI oil, a synthetic base oil that can be hard to find. You can buy this oil at Gander Mountain stores if the dealer doean't stock it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't find Merc's Optimax oil, Amsoil HP Injector oil is a very good oil that will work just fine in all Optimax engines as well as EFI and Carb Motors. I have a number of customers that run it in their Optimax engines and their engines seem to be doing fine. One of them has a 1999 225 Opti on a Mastercraft ski boat and we have not had to change plugs for 2 seasons now. Fouled plugs seems to be the most common problem I have seen in the past on Optimax engines...but those that have switched to either the Merc Opti oil or the Amsoil haven't had the problem. I also recommend running STABIL in your gas at all times...or Merc's Quickleen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks alot for replys,sos,did 99 opti get new updated blue air injectors,thermostats, and thermo covers?thanks again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My customer bought the boat used from a dealer back East. I did check with one of my Mercury dealers and we ran the serial number and supposedly all updates had been performed. So far, the engine has been flawless...it has 208.5 hrs. on it...mostly in the 3-3999rpm range.
    He runs a 21p HighFive and it is capable of hitting the rev-limiter.