Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Please!!! 200 Opti W/Oil in exhaust

Hi, I've got a 2000 200 opti and I was running it today, ran fine, but when I pulled the boat out of the water, I noticed unburned, oil running out the prop, and a little out the two grey boxes above the cavitation plate... It drained a for about 10 min and a very slow rate, then stoped. I also have a 2001 opti 200hp, and never had this happen... any suggestions besides going to a dealer??? This time of year is like impossibe with all the winterizing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it is outboard oil and not gearcase oil?
    If so, we have to consider just how straight outboard oil could possibly get into that area of the driveshaft housing.
    Excess air from the air compressor gets dumped into the driveshaft housing, and the air compressor is lubed with the same oil as the engine. I wonder if there is a check-valve somewhere that is not working and after the engine is shut down it is permitting oil to flow until the pressure finally drops?

I would pull the lower unit to confirm that the oil is definitely "clean" oil coming from above. Then run the engine briefly (with a hose hooked up to the water tube). Shut it off.
    Locate the excess air out hose and pull it to see if there is oil in tht line.

A bad lower crankshaft seal might allow oil to escape also. I hear these engines have a great deal of excess lube inside the crankcase.