Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vrooman-Cornaire Lower Units/Clayton RBR

At Clayton RBR 2004 I had the opportunity to take a look at three Vrooman-Cornaire lower units, all for use with the 1952-1954 Johnson/Evinrude Big Twins. Don Saulsury brought his 80% complete unit along, and I brought my complete one, plus there is one on exhibit in the Boat Museum. Done brought his calipers and tools along, so we set about taking my unit apart to see what he would have to scrounge, manufacture or otherwise modify to complete his. Good thing we got mine apart, as it had three bad bearings in it. Kind of an odd duck of a unit, with no thrust bearing to take up the push of the prop. From what we could see the gears just kinda got mashed together. Probably why they didn't sell a lot of them... I'll post some pictures soon of the disassembled unit.

Don's unit seemed to have a crude thrust bearing at the tip of the propshaft, consisting of several ball bearings loosly riding in a race at the front of the gearcase bullet. The propshaft had a curved "nipple" of sorts machined into the tip to allow the ball bearings to ride around it. My unit had no such bearing. We couldn't talk the Museum into letting us take theirs apart...

I also brought along the original wooden plug used at the NY Air Brake foundry in Watertown, NY. A friend of mine happened to be helping to clean out the old warehouse prior to tearing it down and found a bunch of old plugs - this one among them. Talk about luck!!

Anyone else have one of these units? Anyone ever run one? Rumor has it that someone in Mass. is re-engineering one with a proper thrust bearing and if it works I may send mine to have it redone. Would be neat to try it out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vcpluglu.jpg  
    Keep the wet side wet and the dry side dry...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I know this is an old old post but, I just got one of these vrooman cornaire gearcases. Have you ever found anyone to install tapered bearing (chinewalker)??
    I put it on my Johnson RDE-15. Would love to see what it would do but afraid to run it even once. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are 3 original company sales info sheets.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VrooCon1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	417129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VrooCon2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	417127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VrooCon3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	417128

4. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mr. Don great info. Have you ever done anything to yours, like tapered bearing or try to run one? My email is Brandon_Gotte@yahoo.com send me a message, I have some pictures I would like to share.