Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

left hand gearcase running in right hand rotation?

I bought a cle from a member here in December as a right hand 1.87 case. Well after 4 trips out (8 hrs.) it grenaded and i got to disassemble it and acess the damages. When i got it apart it was like no other case i'd ever been into. Not until my merc guy gave it a look over and busted out laughing did i find out that someone had made it right handed while still using all of the counter parts The rear gear had a collar made to fit the i.d. of the bearing and the center of the gear had been wallered out to fit over the prop shaft. Anyway it didn't work long. The seller took no responsibility in the matter what so ever. Anyway, has anyone encountered this before. Also, i then was going to put right hand internals in it but the front bearing was different(has a deeper race). Is there another bearing i can use in the left hand housing to put my right hand internals in it. I think i have heard something about that on here before. Thanks, Laser Dave.
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Who was the seller?
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help?

I knew there would be more inquires than help. I'm not here to bash anyone, just looking for a solution to my problem. 1 bad stream i see you're a self-proclamed smartass but still don't see how your reply has anything to do with my delima. If it does please explain yourself. Norris, if you must know his name is Keith Richards. Now, if anyone has some info that could be some help to my problem please inform me before this thread gets ugly and has to be deleted. Seems some are more worried about drama than helping fellow boaters. Anyway, i think Greg contacted him on this matter but to no avail. He just quit posting on this and "other" sites after some confrentation over this and other transactions we made that also ended up in a box ifin' ya'll know what i mean. Please, no negetivity or sarchasim needed.
    Laser Dave.
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 bad stream

I got you. Just looking for some answers. I haven't posted his name until now as i have posted on this matter several times(bought a 260 drop on power head that also lasted about 8hrs.) I think after i confronted him on this matter he figured his selling days on this board were about done! Dave.
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

David, call Craig Colabella.

Collabella Performance- (407) 498-0094

I searched high and low for someone with experience on the old Merc locked in left, "point and shoot", CLE's, and this guy was working at Lake X when Merc was quietly producing them. So he knows them in and out. Had many answers for me when I finally found him.

He does awesome work too.

(Edit) - His shop is in St. Cloud, FL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for the input flyin Brian. I'll have to give him a call and see what can be done.
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Craigs shop is Sarasota, Fl. now.

Correction - Big John from the lake is in Sarasota Not Craig.
    Last edited by Flat_Out; 08-22-2004 at 09:06 AM.
    The Last One Across The Lake Has A Small Johnson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Flat_Out
    I think Craigs shop is Sarasota, Fl. now.
    Really?
    Awesome!
    That will cut down on my drive time for the next rebuild.

Do you have a new number for his shop???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On this note perhaps a feedback system for sellers and buyers would be a good idea, similar to ebay

What do you think?

I have some good feedback i'd like to leave if it was possible.

Karl
    Phantom 21
    Mercury 200 XRI
    Mercury 150 V6
    British 21' Offshore race/ski boat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Feed back

I couldn't agree more Marshan. But with all the bashing and negetive posting lately we can be sure that will never happen. It would probally cause more problems for administration than it would be worth. I'll tell you this, if i'm buying something i want the right to be able to return it if it's misrepesented or i'm not satisfied with it. If not i'll keep looking elsewhere. My .02
    Laser Dave
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

The idea has been brought up occasionaly here.
    Sounds great to me!

Go to www.corral.net (a huge Ford Mustang message board). They have the seller feedback built right into the user profiles. Check it out. Maybe the same could be done on S&F???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up MUSATNGS

THANKS LASER MOD VEE I'LL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT. JUST SO HAPPENS I OWN TWO OF THEM.
    LASER DAVE
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blanket party your ass !! You sound like that bunch of of "Hang 'em High", ready to jump before you know the facts. I haven't vanished from the boards, I've been engaged elsewhere. It's disconcerting that an obvious bullard could be so malefic and present the facts all askew when even emails (with dates) received are evidence to the contrary. So let us deal with the facts:

Re: Lower Unit

1. I never advertised the lower unit you purchased for sale.

2. YOU contacted me via phone wanting to buy one of the lower units you saw in my barn.

3. I gave you a choice of two lower units.

4. I specifically informed you that one lower unit was known to run good as I had it on my boat. The price was $1,200.

5. The second lower unit was $750. but you WERE TOLD by me that I had never ran this one and was giving you information on it that I was told when I purchased it. In addition, it was clearly marked on the case "LH CLE".

6. You chose the purchase the $750 lower unit even though you were informed it had not been water tested by me. Sold as is, where is.

7. You contacted me 3+ months later wanting a refund. According to posts you only ran 8 hours (unbelievable, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt).

If you had taken the unit home, noticed within a reasonable amount of time (reasonable does not mean more than 3 months after purchase) that something was amiss, I would have gladly taken the lower unit back (in the same condition as it was sold) and refunded your money. Proper business edicate dictates that you do not purchase something untested, keep it and blow it up, contact the seller 3+ months later and expect the seller to just say "Oh my, even though you've had this unit for 3+ months and blew it up, I'll just send you your money back."

I also contacted Greg in regard to this matter as you were hell bent on flaming. Do not throw his name around insinuating that I had my hand slapped. I've been a SUPPORTING member of S&F since membership was offered. Where is your Team Membership Logo????

Your cavil and exaggerated truths go to show your folly. And if you want to get into how you blew up a perfectly good powerhead (that you were so pleased with according to the emails I received from you), bring it on.

Laser baby: Here I am. Get ya some.

Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Keith

You know as well as i do that i came to buy the other lower unit until you talked me into that one. when i got there it was still on the mid. it was only a 6hr. drive as i can see you are a slow mover. You said "I think this one is a better deal, i'd go with it." And by the way I'll go ahead and post some pics of the internals on this "PERFECT" powerhead. I chose not to contact you until i saw your shotty choice of parts. I do remember when i first called you about the motor you allready knew what had happend as you were following my post about it and had my # but wouldn't inquire any futher, but said when you answered the phone "i'm tryin to figure what happend to your motor." I'LL GIVE IT TO YA. GREAT JOB SCREWING ME. Tell you what i'll give this thread just enough time to make sure you get to read it before i delete it cause i hate when others have to act as this is S&F court. Your bull**** is shining through.
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Left hand CLE running right

The CLE gearcase has been made and changed internally about a dozen times. The Left hand models are actually beefed up with extra thrust bearings on the reverse gear and to run it left handed you are actually running it in reverse. The shifting mechanism in yor control box actually shifts backwards from the standard unit to put in reverse used as forward. The homemade collar you speak of is likely the piece which holds the rear thrust bearing for the reverse gear and likely it came from Mercury the same way you found it but probably in better shape. I have a friend here that has a left hand cle on a bridgeport running right handed. He has run it this way since 1994 without a problem. When you disassemble the left hand units the rear thrust bearing collar almost always falls out of the bearing carrier with the rear gear which is now used for forward. The main difference internally between a left and right unit is the prop shaft, bearing carrier, and the reverse gear is machined to run against the added bearing. Now I see that some of those that post on this board still think high performance boating is like buying at Walmart and all you have to do is complain and they'll give you your money back. I don't intend to get into this pissing contest but if you buy something used why the heck do you think a warranty comes with it??? If you expect a warranty, pay for it by buying a new piece. We buy items off this board daily and we have yet to ask for a dime back from anybody as we knew the risk when we bought USED merchandise. The only way to KNOW what you have is dismantle it and look. We supply and build the best products we can and the very first thing any of the people we sell them to do is try their best to destroy them. THAT"S RACING FOLKS. You simply cannot warranty anything new or used under the conditions and stress they are subjected to. If you ran the unit or even had it in your posession who knows what else has transpired? Was the lubricant checked? was it old lube? I speak with people everyday that change their gear lube about once a year which is about 4 times to little. When you buy a used product you should expect it "AS IS" unless you get a written warranty. Not taking sides with anyone, but the window sticker in the last USED $50,000.00 Porsche I bought said "AS IS" . I never heard Dale Earnhardt ask for a warranty on a Nascar engine he blew either. Sorry you had a problem, But the person you bought the used unit from likely knew little more about what was on the inside than you did when you bought it. The new near $20,000.00 Merc drag engine people are trying to turn over 11,000 rpm comes WITHOUT WARRANTY. I wonder why???Nuff said.
    Eagle One
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast