Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used Hydrostream--to buy or not to buy?

Hello All,

I'm looking at an '87 Volaro with a 2.5 Merc on it. The guy claims the boat and motor are mint and it will run over 100MPH.

I've been glossing over the archives and am worried about the hull falling apart. There seem to be some serious build quality issues with the old streams, at it makes me nervous.

What do you guys think? Am I asking for trouble? Is there anyway to tell whats inside without ripping the whole floor out?

Many Thanks,
    Speeddemon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tests that can be done to try and determine of the core in the pad is still in good condition. I personally can't say that I would know one way or the other since it is sort of a judgement call.

The process is basically to use a small hammer (perhaps wood or hard rubber) and lightly tap areas of the boat where the hull would be cored. Usually the pad is cored and I'm not sure about any other areas and where on which boats.

If there is a thud sound with little rebound that may indicate wet core and basically you would then be riding on two thin layers of fiberglass sandwiching some mush. I would hesitate to do this test unless you were somewhat experienced in doing it.

Generally look over the hull and look for stress cracks as they may indicate a problem. I think there are old hydrostream hulls that are in good shape, average shape, poor shape, and horrible shape. It all depends on the original build (may have varied widely) and even more importantly the treatment since new.

I'm sure others with much more experience than I will respond. The www.hydrostream.org website is also a good source for information about specific hulls and what to look for as well. I have an 88 HST and I believe it to be sound but also realize that it is 15 years old.
    Half B - Just one more project away from the promised land.
    1994 Allison Grandsport with 260 2.5 EFI and wounded 1988 HST

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stream

Wow this is a big topic. As you may know my Stream is now rotten and damaged. When I was boat shopping I found several bad boats. I asked lots of questions and did lots of checks and still ended up with a bad boat. Check the floor for any soft spots around seats, and transom. If this Valero has a ski locker in the floor remove the cover and wrap your fingers around to the underside of the floor, and see if its rotten or soft. The stringers are also visabe in this location and should be completly covered with glass and resin. ( most are not )The floor should also be level. Also pull the back seat and check the floor. The glass should not be lifting off of the floor. check the bolts that hold the gas tank, battery and oil tank. If hold down bolts are pulling out , it is a sign of a bad floor. you should also try to look at the under side of the floor with a mirror to see if it is coated with resin. This is rare but is a good sign. Use a good flashlight and reach back by the battery and fuel tank. This is an area to also check for cracks in the transom or the motor bolt sinking into the transom. If the floor is rot damaged it is likley that additional damage is present. Next look at the top motor bolts in the transom splash well. Make sure that they do not look sunken in. This would be a sigh of a rotted transom. Stress cracks in the gel in the corners of the splashwell is common, but could be a sign to look closer. Aslo take a look at the base of the jack plate or motor where it meets the transom. Make sure that the jack plate is not crushing into the transom. This would be a bad sign. You also need to lay under the boat for maybe a good 15-30 minutes with a good flashlight ( the flashlight helps to see cracks ) and look for cracks. Look vary close and rub your hand over area's too, you can sometimes feel a crack better than you can see one under a boat. The likley area's to check under the boat are the Pad, transom, factory set back, tunnels , stringers, around coring if you know its locations. A moisture meter can do wonders in checking for rot. You may want ot hire a Marine Surveyer with a moisture meter to help you check the hull. Its allway good to have a friend go with you to look at a boat, Two people looking are better than one. If you can try to peek under the rub rail and see if the deck is sealed to the hull. Around the transom this is important. Sometimes there is a 1" aluminum angle piece that covers this seam at the transom. I have seen this seam left open and water gets in and rots the transom. Also there is the hopping on the lower unit to see if the transom flexes. Some people say that if the transom flexes less than 1/4" then its ok. My transom only flexes 1/8" and I know that is has high moisture.

I am NO expert, just passing on what I have experienced. I am sure that I may be leaving something out.

Lance
    2005 TRIAD STV EURO
    421 HP OMC 3.3 EFI by STOKER
    16" Taylor mid, Merc sporty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased an 87 Valero YT (bowrider) last year. had a 175 that blew.
    anyway, did the usual checks. floor solid, transom solid, no stress cracks. interior needs recovered. I bought it. Picked up a 150 from a guy here on S&F. and mounted it. It's a blast. I've had an 18ft flat bottom (200rude), an 18ft tunnel(200rude) a CV-16(115merc), a Contender(150merc)... well you get the idea.. The Stream wins in my book. You can ski, fish, load it up with 4 adults , 2 coolers and cruise at 60 or so real comfortable. in fairly rough water. And on Saturday mornings take it out alone (with a 26 chopper)and scare the pee out of yourself.... I imagine with 200+ hp I could scare more then the pee outta me !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an 86 Valero YT with a 2.5 carb motor 2 years ago this fall. So far so good. It had been recored a refloored. Based on battery mounting and seat mounts I have installed the flooring is solid.

There are some small stress craps at the transom. They havent gotten any worse since I bought the boat.

Just got back from playing on the Ohio river for the week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boatatbeach.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want a NEW boat buy a new boat! theres nothing wrong with hydrostreams. if a twenty year old boat flys apart it's not because it was built wrong it's because it was twenty years old!!!!!!!!!!! the fact of the matter is that thousands of hydrostreams are still running very well over powerered and over driven. that doesn't seem to me to be serious build quality issues the boats are a legend for a reason! when buying a used boat you should check it very carefully wether it be hydrostream or not.

I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,coated in bubble gum,stuffed in a turducken. Δx Δp ≥ ℏ/2